On the Encore in the Med - through Oct 20

shark b8

And on our last Solis night, we opted for the Bistecca Fiorentina for two.  I have become practically religious about one aspect of steak prep, and that’s the utterly essential char on the outside.  I can buy Hawaiian kiawe wood charcoal, and crank up that stuff to where it’s closing in on the surface temp of the sun, so that I get a serious char on the outside, while the inside stays nice and juicy medium-rare.  When we were served, I smiled - I think somebody back there in the kitchen loves the char thing as much as I do. 

IMG_1333.jpeg.9905a59ac49ccad5fc721c72dda6d656.jpeg

• Like 10

So, I think Dubrovnik is an absolutely magical place.  We were first here almost exactly ten years ago, when we started traveling in earnest - it was our first Seabourn, aboard the long-since departed  Spirit!  My only disappointment about Dubrovnik back then was…..it was just astonishingly crowded.  So I hoped that this time, it would be less so, as we’re here much later in the year than before.  Alas.

IMG_1334.jpeg.d455c97a7e7b9dcba8ecc0b850bf90d2.jpeg

IMG_1335.thumb.jpeg.ea99883473342a2f3f4f1d878bbfe623.jpeg

• Like 3

Such an amazing place, but sometimes all too difficult to actually see it, through the mass of humanity.  The First Mate did read about a local restaurant (curiously called Taj Mahal) with a Michelin star, and with Google’s GPS help we found it…nicely Far from the Madding Crowd, per below.

IMG_1337.thumb.jpeg.204753ce0bee5808f07f7d02e90d1c3e.jpeg

• Like 4

Mmmmmm, she had a lamb & broadbean salad, I had roasted red peppers with kajmak, honey & walnuts.  With tasty pita bread, still warm from the baking.  Yummers.  We enjoyed it all from a table for three.  😺

IMG_1338.jpeg.9cd56f4921e85ce53a9e6a5e15adb67b.jpeg

IMG_1339.jpeg.2daccc7f08da855e1a0b73badad89980.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, shark b8 said:

So, we can’t help but notice that some of the themed nights at the Colonnade are exact copies of the old Keller nights.  During the first week we had the family style fried chicken, a few nights ago it was the ribs.  Virtually everything is identical, even the menu card at the table is the same size, style, font….just without the Keller name.  Having heard that Mr Keller is sometimes very difficult to deal with, I would have thought that this would have been a problem

I wondered the same.  I was told Seabourn owns the recipes.😉

• Like 4

…and if you are not interested in Game of Throne souvenirs from Dubrovnik, you can certainly add to your own personal rubber duckie collection.  To each his own.

IMG_1344.thumb.jpeg.e9ad4989fa3040058c2ce4f3ca8e0b3a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10:00p onboard.  For us oldies, it still seems pretty cool that I can sit here in the suite, sailing the Adriatic, with a nice glass of port, listening to the Guardians/Tigers game, LIVE.  

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 7

So glad you too @shark b8 love Dubrovnik.  Again, thanks for sharing your voyage with all of us.

Hubby and I first visited this delightful city on a cruise.  Fell hard for it!  So much so, we have returned several times for land visits.  The city and Croatia never disappoint.  That is also one of the many wonderful reasons to cruise, finding new gems to return to via land or ship.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shark b8 said:

And on our last Solis night, we opted for the Bistecca Fiorentina for two.  I have become practically religious about one aspect of steak prep, and that’s the utterly essential char on the outside.  I can buy Hawaiian kiawe wood charcoal, and crank up that stuff to where it’s closing in on the surface temp of the sun, so that I get a serious char on the outside, while the inside stays nice and juicy medium-rare.  When we were served, I smiled - I think somebody back there in the kitchen loves the char thing as much as I do. 

Just back from Florence, and we had an amazing Florentine steak, and totally agree - a good char is a must. My husband is preparing one right now! Will have to try one in Solis on our next cruise 

• Like 1

Yesterday we did Krka National Park, from the port of Zadar in Croatia.  If you love falling, pounding water, this is your thing.  The running river water is not rain-dependent, we’re told. It originates from an underground spring, and thus is not subject to high and low levels.

Mmmmm, all the good stuff. Curries, pakoras, naan, chutneys.  They had a pineapple chutney - must look into it.  Rumor has it that pineapples are available in our neck of the woods.

IMG_4526.thumb.jpeg.3201ea1a1fcb5110c83d3f5f815f3c6a.jpeg

IMG_4525.thumb.jpeg.aec8d598b2f5811bd35c2bdd5608566c.jpeg

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Robisan said:

I'm getting "We could not locate the item you are trying to view" notices trying to access the videos in posts 116 and 118. Anyone else getting this message?

Hmmmm, those posts were both videos.  I’ve been using a compression app, but I’ve used the same one for years here, so if some vids are viewable but some aren’t…….I’m stumped.