Miami debark shore excursions and time needed to get to gates at MIA

JSar

Looking for debark shore excursions. The ones that I actually find interesting are recommended for people with domestic flights after 3:30. Our flight is at 3:26. Has anyone booked a debark tour for JUST BEFORE the recommended flight times? Did you regret it?

And how long does it usually take to get through MIA? I always get to airports the recommended 2 hours (or more) before domestic flights. I have never been even close to being at risk for missing my flights when I get there 2 or more hours before the flight. Should I be more worried about MIA? That is one airport I don't think I have have flown through... 

Just trying to gage whether or not I want to take the risk and book a debark shore excursion that is 4 minutes before the recommended earliest flight time. I tend to think the risk of missing my flight is minimal... 

So you can use the TSA app to see what the likely wait time is. I assume you will probably arrive at the airport around 1:30 - I just picked Sunday (not sure what day your flight is). You can see the TSA likes are, on average, short then than earlier in the day:

Screenshot_20241004-135529.thumb.png.10e9dfe1b6db66144f04af549535db8d.png

4 hours ago, Rubyfisch said:

So you can use the TSA app to see what the likely wait time is. I assume you will probably arrive at the airport around 1:30 - I just picked Sunday (not sure what day your flight is). You can see the TSA likes are, on average, short then than earlier in the day:

Thanks. Yeah... I assumed we would arrive around 1:30, giving us almost 2 hours. I do have to consider bag check times too... but I have never spent more than 20 minutes with TSA - even with bag search. In fact... last time they sent my bag through the scanner twice before a search and it was still under 20 minutes.

So - I suppose the real wild cards are the chances of the shore excursion arriving later to the airport and bag check times. Boy do I wish this was a trip I could do with just carry on! 2 weeks is a long time though - and we do want to bring our own snorkeling gear. (And I am laughing at myself as I say this because when I go to Europe I go for 7 weeks with one 30L backpack that is just a little over half filled! But for a cruise - I want more!)

I also have a 3:26 flight and am doing a similar excursion ... I feel comfortable changing it, but I also have status on American so I can use the priority check in counter and TSA precheck.

I have a feeling that if anything, the shore excursion will be early and I'll be through security before 1:30.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rubyfisch said:

I have a feeling that if anything, the shore excursion will be early and I'll be through security before 1:30.

Yeah... that is what I am thinking but without TSA precheck, maybe by 1:45-2?. Only wild card for me is checking luggage. I am not familiar with MIA so don't know how fast/slow that will be. 

3 minutes ago, JSar said:

Yeah... that is what I am thinking but without TSA precheck, maybe by 1:45-2?. Only wild card for me is checking luggage. I am not familiar with MIA so don't know how fast/slow that will be. 

I've only been through it once and didn't check luggage, but it didn't seem insanely crowded.

• Like 1