Silvermoon - How is it different? And Green Monkeys?

ConvincedHubbytoCruise

Hello All!

I am new to this forum, and I've been reading a lot about Silvermoon I and II in Barbados. At first, I had booked the 4x4 Monkey Tour (because I really want to see the monkeys)... But lately, I've been reading about how the Silvermoon tours are so wonderful.

I was just wondering - what separates it from the regular snorkeling/turtle encounter/catamaran trips?

And, has anyone done the trip into the wildlife reserve to see the green monkeys? I haven't read much about this.

I'm a little bit torn because I don't want to miss the great water (I've been hearing lately that Barbados has great water) OR the green monkeys! I also don't want to go with Glorytours.com, because they have too much controversy surrounding them. If anyone knows of another combo tour on Thursdays, please let me know!

Thanks!

Jamie

Hello All!

I am new to this forum, and I've been reading a lot about Silvermoon I and II in Barbados. At first, I had booked the 4x4 Monkey Tour (because I really want to see the monkeys)... But lately, I've been reading about how the Silvermoon tours are so wonderful.

I was just wondering - what separates it from the regular snorkeling/turtle encounter/catamaran trips?

And, has anyone done the trip into the wildlife reserve to see the green monkeys? I haven't read much about this.

I'm a little bit torn because I don't want to miss the great water (I've been hearing lately that Barbados has great water) OR the green monkeys! I also don't want to go with Glorytours.com, because they have too much controversy surrounding them. If anyone knows of another combo tour on Thursdays, please let me know!

Thanks!

Jamie

Jamie - My mom and I were on Silvermoon I in early December. I think the one thing that was really nice is they only take 12 people on board the boat. I loved this excursion. They pick you up at the dock around 10:30 - so it does give you time to get out a do some shopping before you are picked up. It is only a five minute ride to the Silvermoon and once everyone has paid and is onboard you are off. We had Ben and Tony onboad with us and they really take care of everyone. Our first stop was to snorkel with the turtles. Tony was the one to take us in here - their was one other group snorkeling at the turtle sight at that time so you had a great chance to swim and get some great pictures. Next stop is to snorkel over a ship wreck, great opportunity to view really colorful fish. After your second snorkel they anchor off of the shore and you are able to swim into the beach or just around the boat. In between this you are served pina coloda's (spelling?) that were made by Tony, champagne, cookies and really fantastic luncheon. The water was crystal clear and just a great opportunity to snorkel. I would definitely do this excursion again. The only downside is you really don't get a chance to view the island - so if you don't want to spend the day on the water than this isn't for you - it was a great way to end our cruise and cannot wait to go back and do this excursion again with my kids! Any more questions I will be happy to answer them!

Thanks Andrea!

Actually, now my dilemma is pretty much over. I emailed Silvermoon about the specific date and it's booked up already! So... now my next decision is whether to do another excursion in addition to the 4x4 Monkey Encounter.

The 4x4 tour goes from 1:00-4:30, so I was thinking I'd do a snorkel with the turtles in the morning (I think RC's schedule for that is 8:15am-11:45am). I hope that won't be too tiring, but I'd like to see as much as possible. I'm also hoping to have enough time to eat on the ship. Has anyone done two in a row like this?

I keep reading that the water is so great (I think the excursion is in Turtle Bay), but my parents went to Barbados and said it was cloudy, but it was due to a storm. Can a few people vouch for the fact that the water is mostly clear? I don't want to waste more money on an excursion if it's not.

We were just in Barbados and went with a catamaran group called "Cool Runnings III" for a swim and sail excusion. It was a beautiful new catamaran-holds 70 but they only book about 40. Never felt crowded! They also offer a great lunch and lots of drinks. The day we went, Thursday, March 30, the water was cloudy due to a storm coming. We could see the turtles when they got up close but had trouble seeing the fish at the shipwreck. It was still a great day, beautiful ride. The cost was $75.00 per person and went from 9:30 to 2:30.

Enjoy your trip--wish mine wasn't over!!!!

We were just in Barbados and went with a catamaran group called "Cool Runnings III" ...Enjoy your trip--wish mine wasn't over!!!!

I can't wait! I'll be so depressed when it's over! But I think I've made my decision at least. I'm keeping the monkey tour, and I think I'll have time in the morning to go on the turtle snorkel tour thru RCCL.

I am going to book it in the morning or the night before. Do you know if you can book the morning of, for the cruise's excursions?

I can't wait! I'll be so depressed when it's over! But I think I've made my decision at least. I'm keeping the monkey tour, and I think I'll have time in the morning to go on the turtle snorkel tour thru RCCL.

I am going to book it in the morning or the night before. Do you know if you can book the morning of, for the cruise's excursions?

I am fairly sure you need to book about 24 hours ahead but there are always tour people at the ports eager to take you wherever you want to go and for how long if you decide to wing it that morning. The Port in Barbados requires you to take a shuttle over to where the shops are and where all the excursions leave. Just walk through the building and start to negotiate. Good luck and enjoy your trip!!!

• 1 month later...
Let me know if anybody has gone on a tour to see the green monkeys. I am thinking about it, but not sure. Please let me know if anybody has done this. Thanks!

There are about 6,000 to 15,000 Green Monkeys on the island, depending on whom you ask.

They are transplanted from West Africa 350 years ago.

They mainly stay in the northern and central parts of the island away from people but they have grabbed my golf ball on Sandy Lane on the West Coast and eaten our veggies from our garden in Holetown.

They eat 1/3 of the bananas, mangoes and papaya grown on the island.

Needless to say, although cute, they are considered pests.

In 1975 a bounty was offered for each Green Monkey tail.

Presently, we offer a US$50 reward for each Green Monkey brought in alive and unharmed to the Barbados Primate Reasearch Centre.

So, if you are unable to see them at the Barbados Wildlife Reserve, you'll understand why they are shy....

....After 17 generations they realize that they better make themselves scarce.....or else.

Green Monkey, Barbados

greenmonkey.JPG

Archived