Aqua Spa -- New Service and new angle.

Funcouple

After boarding the ship we immediately toured the Aqua Spa and the health center. They were promoting various services and one particular program grabbed our interest. It was the Polar TriFIT program. Two :45 minute sessions that will provide a detailed status report of your body. For $99 each we figured what a bargain and what great information to learn about our bodies -- so we went for it and scheduled appointments. We've done Spa treatments on previous cruises and love the results of excellent massages. They always have something to sell to you at the end but at least you got what you paid for -- a fantastic massage. This program wasn't quite a massage, but we figured that we'd switch it up this time and spend the money on this information only service.

The first :45 minute session they assess your:

- Body weight

- Fat Composition

- blood pressure

- Cardiovascular

- Stress

- Metabolism

- Strength

- Diet / Nutrition

- Flexibility

- An intense interview about lifestyle, etc.

The second :45 minute session they provide a 19 page report:

Describing all of the above in detail resulting in the current physical age of your body and providing tips on what you can do to improve, or reduce, the age of your body. Reducing stress, improving sleep, better health, lose weight, more energy, etc. The tips were drawn out on a triangle diagram. At each point of the triangle were the things that you needed to do:

1. Control diet and nutrition

2. Exercise X days per week / X minutes per day

3. Detox

It is explained that nothing will work unless you do all three in unison. Numbers 1 and 2 – no problem (but your warned to be careful doing so without detox because you will hurt your body and it will not work properly!). Their presentation leads you to completely understand how the program works and that the only way it will work is if you take advantage of all three points – which includes purchasing $300+ of their Detox products.

What do you think? Any comments?

I can get basially the same info from my doctor/cardiologist for a $20 copay. If I want to detox, I can buy stuff in the pharmacy. Would rather spend $99 on a massage, rasul, etc.

Michele

I agree Michele. I basically spent $99 for a sales pitch. This was a major dissappointment (really, the only dissappointment on the cruise). Can't really blame to cruiseline either since the spa's are leased to a spa company (Steinart). This practice does leave a bad taste in your mouth.

What would one purchase at the pharmacy to "detox"? I can think of a few, but just want opinions here.

also: we went to the Acupuncture lectures on the Summit, which were very interesting and informative. However, I found that the products they try and sell are extremely expensive, and also their treatments run around $150. Compare that to stateside treatments of $45-60.

But, I did learn a lot about Chinese Medicine.

<Quote>It is explained that nothing will work unless you do all three in unison. Numbers 1 and 2 – no problem (but your warned to be careful doing so without detox because you will hurt your body and it will not work properly!). Their presentation leads you to completely understand how the program works and that the only way it will work is if you take advantage of all three points – which includes purchasing $300+ of their Detox products. <Quote>

What a lot of garbage. All they want to do is sell, sell, sell.

They sell sell sell.. because that is how they make their money! The only thing detoxed, is your wallet!!!!

What a lot of garbage. All they want to do is sell, sell, sell.

They sell sell sell.. because that is how they make their money! The only thing detoxed, is your wallet!!!!

Keep in mind that this is the Spa (Steinert) that uses this technique. I was very dissappointed when, in the end, the ONLY solution for my poor body condition was to use their products -- my guess is that everyone who opts for this service has the same "poor body condition" and requires the detox products.

The other info that they provided was interesting, but the pitch at the end killed everything good about the service (BTW, the service was not nearly as enjoyable as a massage).

Oh well, live and learn, I should've figured that it was too good to be true. Those young girls were so innocent looking when we signed up -- those sharks! :-)

Archived