Is this correct!?

I've never been to the port of miami but have been to port canaveral...Is the setup the same?( dropping of luggage, etc.)...And just to be sure, what type of docs do u need to go to the Eastern Caribbean?...I read that I don't need a passport, Is this correct?....And does anyone else go tanning before they go on their cruise?...I tan easily but I am always afraid that I will get burnt the first day so I go tanning a month before so I don't fry and have a good base tan!

Not quite the same; Actually found Miami some what easier two weeks ago, had more porters out in-front for bag drop off (and got there for 11:30 am) then just zip the car into their garage (pay as you leave when you return). Also, depending on day you leave Miami may be two ships docked, so be careful and make sure to drive-up to the correct unloading zone

hey christine. sorry i cant help you with the port info cause this is my first cruise... but i do go tanning before any vacation in the caribbean. i just started last week cause i leave on april 16th, so i will have a good start!!

If you are sailing the Eastern Caribbean THIS year, no, you do not need a passport. If you return after 12/31/06, then YES, you do need one.

The procedures are pretty much the same for most cruises; enter the port area, drop off bags with the porters and enter the line for security and the terminal. I find Port Canaveral to be one of the easiest ports (less busy). but Miami is not awful.

As for tanning...I won't give you my melanoma lecture, I can't TELL you how many personal friends and family members have fought it. :( Or my "I did that whole tanning salon thing in my 20s and my face wishes I hadn't" spiel. :rolleyes: Seriously...no young person ever thinks they will age or wrinkle. You will. Tanning makes it worse.

Whatever you do, use SOME sort of sunscreen in tropical climates. No matter WHAT your base tan, you CAN BURN there.

Enjoy you cruise! :)

If you are sailing the Eastern Caribbean THIS year, no, you do not need a passport. If you return after 12/31/06, then YES, you do need one.

The procedures are pretty much the same for most cruises; enter the port area, drop off bags with the porters and enter the line for security and the terminal. I find Port Canaveral to be one of the easiest ports (less busy). but Miami is not awful.

As for tanning...I won't give you my melanoma lecture, I can't TELL you how many personal friends and family members have fought it. :( Or my "I did that whole tanning salon thing in my 20s and my face wishes I hadn't" spiel. :rolleyes: Seriously...no young person ever thinks they will age or wrinkle. You will. Tanning makes it worse.

Whatever you do, use SOME sort of sunscreen in tropical climates. No matter WHAT your base tan, you CAN BURN there.

Enjoy you cruise! :)

Fairly OT:

I wish we had all known the true risks of unprotected sun exposure while we were growing up. Neither DH and I were "tanners"; we just couldn't stand to lie there doing nothing while crisping. Still, we grew up spending a lot of time outdoors (swimming, hiking, biking, camping, and just hanging out with friends in ths summer). I was on the swim team as well. Naturally, we both had a few nasty burns as kids because none of us knew how much damage the sun was causing. Neither did our parents--I do not blame them. (Okay, I obviously just "aged" myself; yes, I'm, gulp, in my forties.) As soon as sunscreens (in addition to the white zinc "nose" used by lifeguards for decades) became widely available, we started using them. We wear hats as well. When we came home from Hawaii last year, my friends all said that I wasn't tan enough to "show off" my vacation. Fine by me; I had a little color, no burn, and knew I'd protected myself.

All this is leading up to the fact that my DH was recently diagnosed with squamous cell cancer on his nose. It's a tiny little thing that is slow growing, and he's getting it treated. But you know, it just really brings home the reality and risks of getting that deep brown through either tanning beds or the sun. I've heard that the spray on tans these days are really natural looking. I might opt for that next time.

beachchick

Archived