Snorkelling/Diving in New England?

jingming

Hi!

first time cruiser, booked on a New England cruise for Sept. Wondering if there are any spots to dive/snorkel there. Ports are: Martha's Vineyard, Halifax, Boston, Bar Habor and Newport.

Thanks! :)

Hi!

first time cruiser, booked on a New England cruise for Sept. Wondering if there are any spots to dive/snorkel there. Ports are: Martha's Vineyard, Halifax, Boston, Bar Habor and Newport.

Thanks! :)

Hi,

Yes, there's gobs of diving in New England. Just be aware we're talking 60 degree or colder water (full 7mm plus hood and gloves) up here. The most diving is north of Boston in the Cape Ann/Gloucester area. See http://www.capeanndivers.com/findadivesite.htm. Most of the diving is from shore but excursions are available as well. In addition, upstate Maine and Halifax also do diving as well. Just keep in mind that this is the part of the world where tides make a difference (like 15 ft. in some areas) so potential currents and rocks make a difference in your diving. If you don't mind the cold, there's lots of life and creatures in our waters. Dive New England, http://www.divenewengland.com/, is a good place to start looking at potential sites.

Hope this helped,

Randall

I haven't been diving in New England, but I have done a fair bit of diving in British Columbia. The the diving is comparable, it is definitely interesting diving, but because of the conditions, I would probably classify it as intermediate to advanced diving. Unless you already have experience with cold water diving, you really need to honestly assess your diving abilities before you sign up for a dive trip.

I haven't been diving in New England, but I have done a fair bit of diving in British Columbia. The the diving is comparable, it is definitely interesting diving, but because of the conditions, I would probably classify it as intermediate to advanced diving. Unless you already have experience with cold water diving, you really need to honestly assess your diving abilities before you sign up for a dive trip.

Whole heartly agree! After saving someone in January in Key West from over diving their profile, be aware that if someone's not "cold water conditioned" that they need to be honest in evaluating their ability to handle conditions in limited mobility environments with currents, 10-20ft. visiblity and surf (this ain't the Caribbean :)). And of course we nuts up here in NE love the diving! Checked in with the local dive shop today and the water's 36 degrees (that's in F not C). :D

Randall

Whole heartly agree! After saving someone in January in Key West from over diving their profile, be aware that if someone's not "cold water conditioned" that they need to be honest in evaluating their ability to handle conditions in limited mobility environments with currents, 10-20ft. visiblity and surf (this ain't the Caribbean :)). And of course we nuts up here in NE love the diving! Checked in with the local dive shop today and the water's 36 degrees (that's in F not C). :D

Randall

36 is a bit cool, even for me, but I do find that I find cold water diving more exciting than warm water diving, at least compared to Hawaii or the Caribbean. Sure, the warm water diving is fun, but the challenge of coldwater diving adds to the enjoyment, at least for me.

Sure, the warm water diving is fun, but the challenge of coldwater diving adds to the enjoyment, at least for me.

He says with his picture in a dry suit. ;) I do both cold water (in a wet suit :eek:) and warm water diving and find they're both enjoyable but demand different skills, understanding and equipment. I love the cold water anenomes, crabs and lobsters but like the warm water fish schools, corals and macro-subjects. :) Doing both gives me the best of two worlds.

Randall

Hi!

Thank you for the information on diving in New England. Sounds lke quite an adventure! It looks like it might not be for me. I've only dived in warmer waters and even that has been 2 yrs ago...

Thank you again for your help. :)

Archived