Do people in Bahama wear white in November?

Caitlyn

My mother-in-law wanted me to ask this question. She is from the old rules, that you dont wear white (like sandals and clothes) after labor day. Well, our cruise is in November. She really wants to wear her white sandals with some of her outfits.

Will she feel out of place wearing white in November in Nassau and Freeport?

We have never cruised before so we have alot to learn.:)

I've seen people all over the caribbean wearing white after labor day :p I really don't think they care about our silly fashion "rules"...hey, they live in the caribbean, would you??? LOL!!!

It's funny...we just had a similar discussion at work yesterday.

One of the girls who is the fashion expert said white only after Memorial Day and before Labor Day, NO MATTER WHAT PART OF THE WORLD YOU ARE IN.

So I guess that would mean that, technically speaking, your MIL should not wear white sandals in November.

Having said that, nobody would care if she did (except maybe the fashion **** in my office).

That fashion rule really is illogical, but I don't think it will ever die. If you're in a climate where you're going to wear summer clothes, color and fabric, why wouldn't you wear summer shoes (white) to go along withthe clothes.

I say have enough self confidence in yourself to wear what you like, whenever you want and the heck with the silly rule. It was probably thought of by a man anyhow! I wear white often when on a cruise and we cruise anywhere from October through March most of the time. I say she will be fine wearing her sandals and white slacks, dress or whatever.

Annieeee

You know what I'm on vacation and I could really care less if the FASHION POLICE are out there. I plan on wearing all my summer close for the December Cruise. I

I also thought the rule of theumb was White after Easter. Spring is my rule of thumb, and the weather is more than 55 degrees outside, I wear what ever.

You Dress According To The Weather, Not The Calendar! Same With Florida-we Don't Pay Attention To The Labor Day Or Memorial Day Rules. Have Fun & Just Relax.

If you are dressing for the cruise, then white will be fine. Bahamians themselves don't usually where white in December, you'll find them in Heavy Jackets and jeans, dark darker suits and skirts and island colored shirts.

It's WINTER for bahamians... they generally do not go in the water until summer. We, on the other hand... love their winter weather, and stand out as tourist with summer clothes enjoying water sports.

(my bahamian boyfriend usually wears a leather coat and jeans on the same day I'm in shorts and a bikini top.. it's all relative.)

Where white if you are comfortable.

My mother-in-law wanted me to ask this question. She is from the old rules, that you dont wear white (like sandals and clothes) after labor day. Well, our cruise is in November. She really wants to wear her white sandals with some of her outfits.

Will she feel out of place wearing white in November in Nassau and Freeport?

We have never cruised before so we have alot to learn.:)

Tell your mother-in-law this...Bahamians do not observe our Memorial Day and Labor Day. Thus rules about what to wear before or after those days do not apply, either by color or type of shoe or any other calender restriction on clothing.

A word of advice though. Some days in November in the Bahamas can be slightly chilly. You never know when. Wear light colored or white summery clothes but have a warm sweater or light jacket just in case you do encounter one of the few chilly days of a Bahamian "winter."

One of the girls who is the fashion expert said white only after Memorial Day and before Labor Day, NO MATTER WHAT PART OF THE WORLD YOU ARE IN.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, assuming that people agree with the premise to begin with. If you think about it logically, since the seasons are reversed between the northern and southern hemispheres, how could that statement possibly be true?

John, I agree. I didn't say I would abide by those rules. In fact, I know I wouldn't. It was just funny that this girl professes to be a fashion expert and she said white is to be worn "in season" only. In fact, she referenced that people living in Florida should not be wearing white in the winter just because the climate is different. What prefaced this entire conversation was my saying I have to find a different pair of pants to wear on my next cruise (May 28) for formal night because my pants are black velvet. This girl said that would still be appropriate because it's not yet after Memorial Day (well, technically Memorial Day will occur while we're on the cruise) so the black velvet was fine even if it was in the Caribbean. I tend to disagree, but what do I know?

jerseygirl3, I hope you didn't think that I was attributing the illogical remark to you. If so, my apologies for that. For the record, my post was in response to your colleague's statement.

It's funny...we just had a similar discussion at work yesterday.

So I guess that would mean that, technically speaking, your MIL should not wear white sandals in November.

Having said that, nobody would care if she did (except maybe the fashion **** in my office).

You should ask her about Australia- since their winter and summers are opposite ours.

I may not be correct about this but also isn't Labor day an American holiday-so what would the rule be in Spain and France- no white after September 1?

People should dress for comfort for the weather outside and forget all the silly rules-if you are not warm enough in your clothing then you need warmer clothes-if you are too hot in your clothing then you need lighter weight clothes.

I am from the UK and we don't have Labour or Memorial Day!! Nor do we have rules as to when you can wear white. In fact, while wool is gorgeous - if you can afford the dry-cleaning bills.

I was stopped by a woman in Ft. Lauderdale who told me I shouldn't be wearing white pants - it was 80f!!!! I didn't even understand what she was talking about until it was explained to me. Downright stupid!!

America is not the world and American rules don't apply all over the world - sorry to break such bad news Jerseygirl - perhaps your friend is not quite the fashion expert she thinks she is!!!

I was stopped by a woman in Ft. Lauderdale who told me I shouldn't be wearing white pants - it was 80f!!!! I didn't even understand what she was talking about until it was explained to me. Downright stupid!!

This woman who confronted you was wrong on two counts. Count one: We wear white all year long in South Florida, which is where Fort Lauderdale is located.

Count two: Any woman that would confront a stranger and have the audacity to correct her for what she is wearing may think she is a fashion expert, but she is absolutely clueless about etiquette. Her behavior was boorish and inconsiderate.

I, for one, am really sorry this had to happen to you in Fort Lauderdale.

Heavysurf - thank you for your support!! We live in Ft.L in the winter and I have to inform you that this is hardly the nastiest thing that has happened here in Ft.L!!!! It was just relevant!!!

I was once mugged on a cruise ship by a 92 year old lady who objected to my having won a daily competition which she had won the previous two days - the prize? A drink of the day coupon!!!! And yes, she was from Florida.

Actually, folks, there are miserable and nasty people everywhere - we just get riled-up for 30 secs and then get on with our highly enjoyable time in S. Florida - the best adult playground in the whole wide world!!!

Archived