Tahiti with kids

bakery

Has anyone taken their kids on a South Pacific cruise? We're starting to think about a summer 2007 sailing, when our daughters will be 12 and 9. Has anyone done this? If so, did they enjoy it?

We are taking the Dec. 27th cruise with our kids, 11 & 16. According to Princess, there are close to 20 "kids" booked for that sailing already. If you book during a popular holiday time like Christmas or Spring Break, perhaps there will be more kids on board. From what I understand, Princess has no kids activities or staff unless there are 20 or more kids. Even then, I'm not sure it would be anything like the larger ships that my kids are used to, since ther are no dedicated kids/teen facilities. I think during summer there would be a chance of more kids, also. Good luck!

We just returned from this cruise - very few kids and there was nothing organized for them to do. I have a 16 year old and a 12 year old and I wouldn't take them - they would enjoy the water activities, but in general, be bored in comparison to the Caribbean Cruises. One of their favorite parts of our last cruise was meeting other kids and hanging out in their areas.

Maybe if they had friends traveling together, but even so, there is no areas for them to just hang out. They have to stay with their parents or wander the ship alone (not good as we saw last week). If I wanted to take kids to French Polynesia, I would spend my $$ at one of the resorts. The Intercontinentals we stayed in on Moorea and Tahiti both had kids programs and much more for them to do, I think.

This cruise caters to honeymooners and couples, not families and kids, in my opinion.

Thanks for your advice. I'm not too worried about the lack of a Kids Zone, because we just got back from the Caribbean and the girls spent a minimum of time there. Still, if there's only a handful of kids aboard they might feel a bit awkward.

I appreciate all your comments.

We took our 13 and 16 year old for the xmas cruise. There were 60 kids I think. They really didn't hook up with anyone but enjoyed the cruise anyway. It is such a beautiful place with lots of water activities available. I would take them.

We went late August last year about 5 kids under 5 and maybe 10 under18.....there is plenty to do off the ship and it is so port intensive your girls will have a great time...We offered to take our 3 boys 12,15 and 18 and they passed, so much more to do at home when M&D are gone:)

• 1 month later...

I just called Princess - the Dec. 27 sailing is now sold out! There are 9 "kids" and 23 "teens" booked so there will be a dedicated kids staff and plenty of activities for the kids! I am so relieved that there will be other kids for mine to hang out with!

We did TP cruise June 2005. Our kids are older (18 and 23). There was 1 small child, a family group with older teens (maybe 6 of them) and very few in the 20-30 age group. Most passengers are 50 and over. Our kids had a ball but it was fine with them to hang out with old mom and dad. I say it depends on your kids and whether you feel they would have fun without other kids on board. I don't recall seeing any kids the ages of yours on our particular cruise.

Dimarie

Archived