Mercury April 7,2006: Any Friends of Dorothy traveling?

doglover1966

Hi, Doglover - in addition to checking the Roll Call for your cruise, you may also want to see if there are others on the Gay and Lesbian boards. Even if you don't hear from anyone before you go, our experience on Celebrity (or any cruiseline for that matter) is that you'll meet other G/L couples once you're on board.

Have a great cruise!

Just back from Mercury 3/17-27.

They had a FOD meeting almost every night. We met some great people. The other great thing that happened was at a lot of these meetings it was like a friends of friends of Dorothy. We met gay and straight couples alike. Mainly in the champagne bar but once or twice in the rendevous lounge. I do believe the Cruise director DRU is a fod also.

Have a great time! We did and have many new friends.

Dave:eek:

Just back from Mercury 3/17-27.

They had a FOD meeting almost every night. We met some great people. The other great thing that happened was at a lot of these meetings it was like a friends of friends of Dorothy. We met gay and straight couples alike. Mainly in the champagne bar but once or twice in the rendevous lounge. I do believe the Cruise director DRU is a fod also.

Have a great time! We did and have many new friends.

Dave:eek:

Thank you for that info! I hope we have the same luck. :D

I just have to tell a strange but wonderful situation I was in regarding The Friends of Dorothy.( I am a straight female, happily married for 50 years.) This happened on the Mercury, on a cruise to Rio several years ago.

First off, I did not know actually what the group was about. Being from Kansas, I thought it may be a gathering of folks like us, from Kansas. (like Dorothy from Oz).

Anyway, I went to the meeting by myself, and noticed that there were a lot of men, and few if any women. People were so friendly, and I asked where in Kansas they were from? Then the truth came out about the FOD group, and I was asked to stay and join them in conversation. We all had a good laugh, and all throughout the cruise I was invited into conversations with many I met at the FOD gathering!

BTW, my nephew is gay, and he never mentioned anything about FOD. Is this just a group on cruises? I'll have to clue him in. lol.

FOD term came about years ago when a gathering of gay men might invite danger. One could ask someone if they were a friend of Dorothy and not have to identify ones self as being gay. In the 70s and 80s it was better to keep your sexuality to yourself.

Of course FOD came from the Wizard of Oz. Judy Garland has always been a gay icon. She has such perfect hair! :) And, she knows how to ring the bell on that trolly.

Archived