Really need travel insurance?

DeLosLibros

Do we really need travel insurance? That's when we're insured if out plane is late, or if out luggage goes missing. Normally I'd be overly cautious, but that would add $400 bucks that we didn't bidget for.

Are you willing to lose the entire cost of your cruise? If you, a family member or your travelling companion get sick at the last minute and you can't go. You will have payed for a cruise that you aren't going to be able to take. Cruiselines will not offer a refund because you had the option to purchase the insurance.

If you want to chance it that is up to you but remember if you do decide to do that you wont have a leg to stand on with the cruise line. And no one will want to read your post on cruisecritic about how mean the cruiseline was because they didn't make an exception for you and give you a refund.

Just my opinion.

mcboo

It depends on how much you paid for the cruise, how far in advance, and how risk-averse you are.

When I booked a 3-day weekend cruise, paid$500pp, one-month in advance, I didn't bother to get insurance. But, for a 7-day cruise, paid $2000pp, 6-mo in advance, I'd be more inclined to get insurance. A lot can happen in six months to risk $4K.

I agree with ger3sf. I also feel that the premiums for these insurances are out of whack with the risk and possibility of benefit. I wouldn't mind paying a hundred bucks for insurance but the rate is often nearly 10% of the cost of a trip, which can be a lot if you're going overseas, especially if you have decent medical travel insurance through work. At nearly 10%, I would need to think that I am going to cancel one in ten trips at the last second. That simply has not been my experience but maybe as age, it will seem a better risk.

I used to think insurance was not necessary but 3 years ago I had a heart attack 6 days before we were to sail. Ended up having triple by-pass. We lost all $5000 of the cruises expenses. Did get the port charges refunded, not sure how that worked.

keep on cruising

There is also the chance that you could get sick or break a bone on the ship. The insurance will pick up the medical costs which can be extremely high. $25,000 if they need to get you off the ship by helicopter in an emerency. Not all health insurances cover you outside of the US.

Hi - Trip insurance is a funny, combined product so you have to analyze the different things it covers. It usually covers the cost of the cruise, delays/lost luggage, medical costs, medical evacuations, and (sometimes) death. You might reasonably chose to "self-insure" each of these risks but you should think about what you're trying to protect and whether you could afford the respective cost/loss.

Regarding the cost of the cruise, and as McBoo and ger3sf pointed out, you have to judge whether you can afford to completely lose the cost of the cruise. Phht, gone. For most people the cost of a cruise can vary from a thousand to maybe $15-20k. Can you lose that kind of money? Like ger3sf, we don't bother to get insurance for short, inexpensive cruises but do for longer, more expensive cruises.

Delays or lost luggage - can you afford to pay for airline tickets home, hotel rooms, and/or seven days of new clothing? Do your credit cards have enough credit available? This will be different for everyone.

Regarding medical costs, some US medical insurance doesn't cover non-emergency care outside the US. Some doesn't even cover emergency care outside the US. First, verify your current coverage - you may not even need this protection. My Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance coverage will (partially) pay for my care anywhere in the world, emergency or not. Even if you are covered, you may need to pay on the spot and submit your claim for reimbursement once you return home. Onboard ship they will add it to your bill, but also give you a receipt you can then use to attempt to claim from your insurance. If you're off the ship (think of the unfortunate people injured on a shore excursion in Chile recently) you would likely need to provide payment or show the ability to pay.

After you check your current coverage, you can make an informed judgment based on your current health and that of your travel companion. Can you pay hundreds or thousands for doctor visits, prescriptions, X-rays, etc., out of pocket? The larger cost would be medical evacuation, and no regular health insurance would cover that. We take cruise insurance for this reason alone if we're sailing outside US or North American waters, and we're pretty healthy (knocking wood...).

Death benefit: if you decide that you need life insurance (many people don't) you should buy it separately so you're always covered and not through a cruise policy that would only cover you for the duration of your trip. If it's included in a cruise policy that's fine, but don't buy the insurance just for that.

Do we really need travel insurance? That's when we're insured if out plane is late, or if out luggage goes missing. Normally I'd be overly cautious, but that would add $400 bucks that we didn't bidget for.

On the day before we were to fly to London for our first cruise in 2001 we had to cancel the trip because of a foot injury. Our insurance returned the entire $7000. in a month. We would NEVER travel without it although it is expensive. I think it is just part of the cost of the trip. Look at insuremytrip.com to compare prices and coverage.

I've always balked at buying trip insurance, but last year I had two heart attacks, then three surgeries. Fortunately it was early enough that I was able to cancel my cruise & Atlantis refunded everything.

Now, however, I think the smart money is going to be on buying insurance.

Indeed, travel insurance is ridiculously high....but for most trips it is, to me, essential, especially for a trip like the world cruise we have booked for Jan., 07. The price was outrageous, but less than losing the total cost of the voyage due to illness or accident.

AN IMPORTANT POINT TO KNOW:

Make sure the insurance you take covers pre-existing conditions. Many travel insurance policies do, but you have to take out the policy within one to two weeks of the booking (depends on the line or company).

I guess I have the same question....

- I'm covered medically through work, including out-of-country trips, and including those taken for personal reasons as opposed to business.

- My mastercard offers trip cancellation / interruption and lost/delayed luggage insurance just for using the card

What else would commercial insurance cover that's I'm not already covered for? (I'm in my 30's).

You are indeed fortunate. Most workers, I suspect, do not have such excellent coverage. Obviously, we retired folks have far less extensive coverage. Which Mastercard automatically gives trip cancellation insurance? I think I need it! Are evacuation and pre-existing conditions also covered by you insurance? If so you are thrice blessed.

Archived