RCCL lost our luggage ... need some help

That's about how long it took for them to find my bag when it was misplaced in Miami. I know how frustrating it is and how angry you are.

When I finally got my suitcase back the colored-coded RCCL luggage tag had been removed, I don't know by whom. So don't count on the tags you put on it still being there.

I used to work for Pan Am and was told by some of the baggage handlers that many times the flight tags also get ripped off and they don't know where they were supposed to be. So since then I now tape on the inside a large paper showing the destination hotel address/cruise ship and cabin # and cell phone number. And I bring a separate one for the way back showing our home address and phone. I figure covering all bases can't hurt!!

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the good advice on retrieving our missing luggage. We got two pieces but are missing the third. We waited in the terminal for 2 hours looking in both baggage claim areas, but no 3rd piece. There were others continuing to look for missing pieces, too. We filed the claim before leaving the terminal, and we called the 800 number that was on the form this morning. They are checking. I contacted my TA, but she was not much help other than to wish us luck. I even called American Express (how we paid) to see if we could get their help. They do not cover baggage for cruises, only airlines and hotels are covered for missing baggage if you purchase the $9.95 baggage coverage protection each time you travel...but again not for cruises. I will continue to be persistent and hopefully we'll get the piece back. I hope that if someone picked it up by mistake that they contact RCCL. Our bags are black but are marked distinctly with yellow yarn and gold metallic ribbons and our luggage tags...and the grey 1 RCCL disembarking luggage labels. I don't know how anyone could pick up our bag without noticing these markings! Amazing, but I've seen people pick up those bags in airports to check the nametags as I'm waiting for them to roll around to me on the conveyor belts. Duh! Thanks, again. Stay tuned. I hope I'm as lucky as Leksi25!

Call me paranoid, but I don't put my home address on luggage labels. I figure it just tells the thieves where to go while I'm out of town. I do print an 8.5" x 11" sheet with my name, the ship I'm sailing on and the dates, plus my cell phone number, and place it in my luggage. That way any honest person can contact me without giving away my residential info. Now that I think of it, I may also put the name and phone number of a relative who's staying on dry land and can be reached as a back-up.

Happy sailing,

Susan

Everyone,

We got a call from RCCL this afternoon that our luggage was found and was Fed Ex'd yesterday. Yea!!!!! It's only "stuff" but it would be a pain to replace.

MBeamTX, you are not paranoid. I was told years ago not to include my address because someone could find out that you are not at home and move out your belongings. The name and phone numbers work. Also, I have used my work address and phone number for contact on my luggage tags.

Good luck to any others out there missing luggage.

Chris

Archived