How to manage the luggage alone

fidoprincess

Taking my 2 kids, 6&11, on a cruise without DH and no matter how I try, we are ending up with more than I can manage myself. Even if I get it down to 2 rolling bags that connect together for each hand, 4 all together, I won't have a free hand to hold onto dd. We fly out on a Sat. go to a hotel 'til Sun morning and then back to the hotel after the cruise for one night and fly back the next morning.

And, the kids want to bring something for on the plane and I need to carry the docs in something plus some snacks just in case. Anyone have any tips for me? I already tried a "rehersal" and the 11 year old really can't manage pushing/pulling the suitcase alone. In the good old days, I could curbside check-in and never have to worry about the luggage but it is all different now(sigh).

I have recently had the opportunity to travel alone with my 3 and 5 year old and have found that things worked great when I gave them each their own little suitcases (with wheels) to carry their own clothes. They loved being "big" and having their own suitcases. Then I handled the big suitcase which contained all my stuff and the family's toiletries, shoes etc. I brought a clip to attach the 3 year olds case to mine in the event she pooped out on me, but honestly they were great and did a great job pulling their suitcases. They did great navigating Union Station in Chicago and we had to carry our own luggage onto the train since there was no baggage car. We also flew from Indianapolis to Virginia Beach last month and it went great. You can have a free hand to hold the little one's free hand while you both pull your bags.

Also don't forget you can always rent those carts at the airports, and most hotels have trolleys to load your bags on to. Another thing to consider is that some cruise lines offer self service laundry, so if you've chosen like Carnival and Princess then you can pack lighter and just do a load or two of clothes while on the ship. Don't forget shoes are heavy and take up a lot of space, so find one or two pair that go with everything. Oh and just find a very lightweight back pack and put the snacks, crayons, coloring books etc in there and you or your 11 year old can carry it.

You can do it! Just be creative!

I travel alone with my 8 yo son and, if he wants to go on fun trips, he has to be able to help mom. On our cruise in February, he was responsible for his backpack and the middle sized (checked) rolling bag. I had the big rolling suitcase and rolling carryon along with my carryall purse.

A couple of things that have worked for me and might work for you:

Get yourself a wallet on a string type bag for documents, etc. Eagle Creek has several versions that can be worn cross-body and are very secure.

Don't use shuttles, use a car service. To me, it is worth the extra money to have someone help with the luggage and not have to haul it all to a shuttle or rental car. Along the same lines, alwas check bags or use the porters as soon as possible.

Let the kids be responsible for as much as they are able. Even a 6yo can carry a light backpack with snacks, toys, etc.

Rather than trying to find a free hand to hold onto the 6yo, have her hold on to you.

Also, arrange documents in groups in the order you will need them. If I have a lot of paperwork, I file it in separate envelopes so that I can pull out just what I need. For example, boarding passes in one envelope, set sail pass and passports in another, and so on.

I hope you find some useful ideas here.

Enjoy your trip!

I agree with everyone so far. It is very do-able, with advance planning. Kids love pulling suitcases, so let them have managable ones with wheels, and at the same time, they can carry a backpack with their in-flight or waiting in the cruise terminal entertainment in it. (DD, at 2, had the American Girl backpack which was a carrier for her doll as well as a backpack - she was - and continues to be thrilled - to use it....It is reserved for traveling, as is DS's Gameboy.)

While you won't have free hands, they will have one. The rule is, they must connect with you (hold your hand as you pull a suitcase, etc.)

I traveled with the kids on my own, and to be honest, it was a great experience!

It gave me the confidence to say to DH, on our return to JFK after our recent Miracle cruise: let's save time. Go get the car out of long term parking, I'll gather the luggage, and we'll be home that much sooner. Fast forward to we needed two (yes, two!) baggage trolleys! Collapsed DD's stroller and put it on top of one, instructed her to hold on (she's 3), and I pushed one while DS (7) pushed the other, and they were loaded! No problem!

It was fine. You'll be fine. It's good you're thinking this out in advance, but in my experience, if you work out a plan you hope will work, in the end, it will be way less complicated than you had thought. Enjoy!!

Archived