10 and 11 year old boys how much freedom?

md40901

I have a 10 year old step-son and a 11 year old nephew who will be cruising with us on the Mariner of the seas in Sept. I was wondering how much freedom on the ship we should give them if any. This will be thier first cruise. I'm sure most of the time they will want to be at the pool or doing one of the sports on deck. I would make sure we know where they will be at all times and have check in times. When my husband and I cruises this past Sept. we say lots of kids there age with the walkie talkies. Do they really work on the ship. Thanks!

Really I think that depends on the kids. We cruised with a very large family group for our wedding cruise and my nephews ran the ship all hours of the night. They were 13 at the time. My son 11 and nephew 12 were not allowed to run unsupervised. My nerves just couldnt handle it. The what ifs are just too much for me. They were however allowed to stay at the arcade and had a specific time to return to the cabin. But to just let kids go and have no idea of where they are and what they are doing is too much.

My older nephews were in the adult nightclub in the evening! They werent drinking but they shouldnt have been allowed to get in. They were eventually caught and security kicked them out. But I guess each parent is different. Maybe to take them to the pool is fine by the hamburger/hotdog grill. (on Carnival anyway) They shouldnt need to go anywhere else. The pool is there the food is right there (within 5 or 6 steps from the actual pool) but to give kids that young free reign to run on a cruise ship at their leisure with thousands of strangers isnt my parenting style.

As for the walkie talkies, we had those for my husband and myself to keep in touch but we will give one to our 13 year old to have a (tiny) bit of freedom.:cool:

Good luck

I think it depends on the child and their maturity. We are taking our 14 and 12 year olds and they will have their freedom to do what they want as long as they check in every now and then, and stay together. They will have walkie talkies as I have read many posts that say they do work on the ship. Go with your gut feeling. You may want to give them the freedom the first day and see how it goes.

Thanks guys, my husband was in High School when he had his son so hes pretty much grown up around adults most of the time and I think he is very mature for his age. And let me make it clear we will not let them run free. They will have to let us know where they will be at all time and must check in every hour if they are not at the pool. And I think I'm going to get walkie talkies so that they can tell us each time they leave an area. But this is a family vacation so we hope that most of the time we will just all be together.

I have a 10 year old step-son and a 11 year old nephew who will be cruising with us on the Mariner of the seas in Sept. I was wondering how much freedom on the ship we should give them if any. This will be thier first cruise. I'm sure most of the time they will want to be at the pool or doing one of the sports on deck. I would make sure we know where they will be at all times and have check in times. When my husband and I cruises this past Sept. we say lots of kids there age with the walkie talkies. Do they really work on the ship. Thanks!

We are going on the Sun next month, and was on the Carribbean Princess last year, and the Carnival Miracle the year before. My 2 oldest were 8 and 10 on the Miracle, now 12 and 10. They both enjoy the kids club and we sign them up together in the same age group as my younger one is actually more mature than his older brother (who is average for his age).

On sea days we sometimes do family things like swim, but try to utilize the kids club some also.

We allow them to check themselves in and out BUT THEY MUST stay together if out. If they can not agree on what to do they are to go back to the kids club.

This buddy system has worked very well and we feel they are safe together, especially on sea days.

At night they can come to the shows with us, go to the kids club together, or stay in the cabin together. Works well.. but every kid is different. these two can handle a little freedom. Might be a different story when my 4 and 6 year old boys get a little older!

Brian

Give them some freedom, but sit down and make out the rules before you go. Things like:

1) ALWAYS stay together. For example, if one goes to the restroom the other goes with.

2) NEVER go into anyone else's room or let anyone else into your room.

3) Set check in times every day - make them check in with you several times.

4) Make a list of places that are off limits under all circumstances.

5) Make some guidelines as to who they can "hang" with (age limits)

6) Make certain that they know the proper use of elevators (to get from one floor to another, not for joyriding), hallways (to get from point A to point B, not for racing or shouting down), stairways (to get from one floor to another, not for for loitering with friends), roomservice cards (they are hanging on the doors for a reason - it is NOT funny to pluck them off), etc. There are alot of great activities on board, but they must agree that they will use the facilities/equipment in the manner that they are supposed to be used.

7) In general , remind them that it is possible to have fun and to be cool without being a *****!:D Also remind them that there are dangers in all places, and that the ship is not just inherently "safe"

Set out very specific penalties for rule infractions and be certain they know that you WILL enforce them.

If they're not in the kids area or with you, I would definitely use Onessa's list. Once they slip up, it could be one too many times, though. Maybe it's the fact I have a daughter (right now 8) but personally, I think she'll be 35 before my hubby lets her go by herself anywhere.

LOL Cruisin' chick, I know what you mean about the hubby!

Mine won't let our 9.5 yr old girl wear cropped tops, thin strapped tops, bikinis etc. She's quite happy with it so far, so it's not a problem.

Onessa, I think that's a great list. I especially like 6 & 7. Eventhough 6 is plain common courtesy/good manners it's amazing how many people who have forgotten to teach their children this, or whose children have 'forgotten'.

Have a fun, family cruise :)

I think that I can bring some light into this discusion. Let me preface my post by saying that I am 26 now but have been sailing since I was 3 and have over 24 cruises in those years I stated.

My parents were alway low key. I don't know if I was a good child or what but they could trust me. But I remember that their were times during my cruising that I had rules set for me. When I was under 10 years old I would either have to be with my parents or in the youth program that they had aboard the ships. Then after this time I was giving more freedom. I was giving the right to go where I please on the ship but every so often I would have to check in with my parents to see that I didn't fall of or get lost somewhere. I was not allowed off the ship if it was in port by myself. This rule stayed in effect until I was 17.

Now what I think should be done on ships has changed in the time we live in. Most families that have children that can use a 2 way radio will have them bring them with them on the ship. I like that idea very much. I was in a teen group when one of the counselor had to call a parent to the room to help with the younger child of one of my friends. They are very helpful but I would recommend a good quilty one with a privacy feature on it. Some parents let their kids do what every they want on the ship, run free, drink free, and so on. I don't like this at all first of all all the children that follow the direction, look at these kids and see what they are doing and think that they can do it also. You then have a group of holigans running on the ship and it makes the rest of the passenger a little ticked off.

I know that when I have kids and start bringing them on cruise that I will have a many rules for them but also want them to enjoy it also. Remember it is a vacation for the parents and the kids. Everyone one should have fun.

24 cruise on HAL in 26 years on earth

Unfortunately on our last cruise there was an extended family that violated those rules #6 & 7. The parents just let the kids run around unsupervised and they threw things overboard, knocked on other passengers' doors in the early hours, and would hang around the stairwells. The captain and other crew members were told about the situation and nothing was done. Even the yellow shirt youth security tried to do something by talking to one of the fathers who replied, "I'm on vacation." And get this, this group was on the same cruise the year before and a group from the cruise critic roll call hired a lawyer. And this lawyer contacted someone from my roll call.

I wrote to Princess telling them that they need to do something when there's a group like this. Got a total kiss off in my letter. So did others on the roll call. So, if you know anyone who's planning the holiday cruise either to Hawaii or Mexico Riviera (just in case they switch to that one) on Princess, they may want to reconsider and try a different cruiseline. I'm not kidding about this.

Archived