Xunantunich with Carnival Cruise Lines

Binney

has anyone taken this excursion?

Did you enjoy it? Why or why not?

How was the bus ride?

Any tips for picture taking, or the order to visit the ruins?

Lots of bugs?

How was lunch at San Ignacio? Did you get really hungry before?

Thanks!:D

We just did this tour through Carnival on our 3/19 Valor cruise. You will be on the first tender off the ship. The bus will have both the ruins tour people and those doing horseback riding. It was a big airconditioned comfortable bus. Our guide, Carolyn,gave us information most of the way to the ruin. The bus ride is about 2 hours and takes you through the country side. The horse back riders are dropped off where we come back for lunch and then on about another 15 minutes to the ruins. We got off the bus and walked on to the hand cranked ferry that takes you over the river. On the other side, we loaded into vans that take you to the park enterence. There we were given about 10 min to use the bathroom or purchase water/soda from the local gift vendors. We went as a group with Carolyn and she gave us info the whole time. It was important to stay as a group as there were others there from other tours. Carolyn was very knowledgable and encouraged questions. The walk/climb up the big El Castillo was fun. The view of the country side was incredible. There were some who opted not to go to the top and they waited in the shade off to the side. There is nothing to prevent you from falling over the edge on the top!! But so worth getting up there. It was a hot day when we were there ---about 90 degrees. I would encourage you to bring at least a water bottle per person if not more. I had to buy another bottle but the price was very reasonable. We were at the ruins for about 1 1/2 hours. Then back on the bus to the San Ignacio Inn for lunch. This was rice/beans cooked in coconut with 2 chicken legs and coleslaw. Very good. Then, back on the bus for the trip back to Belize City. The bus had a toilet but there was no running water to flush it. Most people rested on the the way back. We got back around 4pm so had just a small amount of time to quickly look at the shops. The tender line was long but moved quickly.

All in all, it was a great experience to see these magestic ruins and marvel at what the Mayans did. Little kids wouldn't appreciate this tour. My 16 year old daughter that it was neat! The bus ride through the country gives you a better perspective of the country and the people.

Hope this is helpful.

Forgot to mention that since it was the dry season there in March, there were no bugs and Carolyn actually encouraged us not to use bug spray as it would make us feel even more sticky and sweaty. DO apply sunscreen, though!!

We didn't have lunch til about 1:30 so may need to take some snacks with you on the bus. I was pretty hungry by the time we ate!

Were you able to book this excursion in advance? I will be on the Glory in October and want to do Xunantunich, but it is not available to purchase online yet.

Dori,

I purchased all 4 excursions in January for sailing this Sunday. I did it all on-line. What I like best is you can change them on-line, too. We switched excursions on both Cosat Maya and Belize once. You merely cancel it, they credit back your card and you book another.

Smooth seas!

We did this tour in April last year and loved it. This was the first excursion we've ever booked with Carnival, and I am soooo glad we did it.

Totally agree, you should go ahead and bring extra water with you. It was quite hot...and the blonde that I am was sweltering, but loving every minute of it.

I had also thrown in a couple of candy bars in my bag, and I am glad I did. It might be early to the folks in Belize, but my tummy was telling me it was feeding time. :)

Also, don't forget money for tips. We only had like six one dollar bills left over from getting "Belize Money" in change,, the rest were in tens and twenties and I felt bad that we didn't tip much at the end to our wonderful guides! They were AWESOME!

Loved the climb up, great pics from the top...

Have fun!

Stef

How was the bus ride?

Lots of bugs?

I enjoyed the tour. Why? Becouse I'm into the Mayan history and the main temple is huge. It might still be the tallest structure in Belize. The hand cranked ferry across the river was quit a bit fun.

The bus ride was long, but I enjoyed seeing the real Belize and how people live.

As for picture taking..do plan on taking photos. Climb to the top of the main temple for some great shots of yourself against the backdrop at 150 feet or so up.

One word of advice is take small bills ( $1, 5's, & 10's) for some handcrafted souvenirs which are for sale at the ferry ford. I purchased 3 slate pictures of Mayan deities hand carved by local indians who decended from the ancient Mayans.

Bugs ? I didn't have a problem.

Lunch was a lot of fun with good food and punch in a grass hut. It was a wonderful tour and I do recomend it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad we did this. We had 2 guides: Carolyn (she was Mayan) and Gilbert. The bus ride was fine because of the history and all that we saw and heard. When we got there, it was exceptional. I couldn't believe that we were allowed to walk all over these ruins. El Castillo was daunting, but I made it to the top and it was awesome (I know I am using this word over and over, but it was awesome :p ). The way down was scary! no handrails, etc. and I'm afraid of heights. You could tell the people that were on this excursion the next day...had to use the elevators for even one floor on board - our thighs really hurt the day after.

The lunch was terrific. We sampled the local dishes and I tried the local beer (Belikin) and yes, it was awesome...OK maybe not awesome, but I enjoyed it very much. We heard about "Cashew Wine" on our way and it was for sale here. I haven't opened it yet though.

I cannot say enough good things about this tour. If you are considering visiting ruins this may be just right for you. Because this is a long drive from the boat, not a lot of people choose this and it is not crowded. You will love this one!

I am so glad we did this. We had 2 guides: Carolyn (she was Mayan) and Gilbert. The bus ride was fine because of the history and all that we saw and heard. When we got there, it was exceptional. I couldn't believe that we were allowed to walk all over these ruins. El Castillo was daunting, but I made it to the top and it was awesome (I know I am using this word over and over, but it was awesome :p ). The way down was scary! no handrails, etc. and I'm afraid of heights. You could tell the people that were on this excursion the next day...had to use the elevators for even one floor on board - our thighs really hurt the day after.

The lunch was terrific. We sampled the local dishes and I tried the local beer (Belikin) and yes, it was awesome...OK maybe not awesome, but I enjoyed it very much. We heard about "Cashew Wine" on our way and it was for sale here. I haven't opened it yet though.

I cannot say enough good things about this tour. If you are considering visiting ruins this may be just right for you. Because this is a long drive from the boat, not a lot of people choose this and it is not crowded. You will love this one!

Glad you enjoyed it ! I couldn't agree with you more. Xunantanich is the sort of place where one might expect Indiana Jones to be found, just like in the opening of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Who knows what's left undiscovered in Xunantanich alone, not to mention all these other sites buried in jungles somewhere in Central America.

Oh, don't forget to say Hello! to the parrots at the spot where you stop for lunch. I got some great pics of them as they kept stalking me all over the yard. LOL!

We were talking with him (the parrot) saying the usual "hello" and all. We had to go in so I said to the parrot to be careful because we heard that they were out of chicken in the kitchen...the darned bird actually laughed! It was so hysterical all of us started laughing too!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Okay,

We were planning on going on this excursion, but changed our mind and was going to do snorkeling or a beach day. But reading this thread has me re-considering this excursion.

We are going in the middle of August and I have heard the heat is aweful and many don't enjoy the ruins because of the heat. :confused:

I'm looking on more opinions on anyone that has gone on this during the summer.

How was the heat? I'm not in the greatest shape, but willing to handle some heat for the experience, but don't want to be miserable.

Any Help????

Okay,

We were planning on going on this excursion, but changed our mind and was going to do snorkeling or a beach day. But reading this thread has me re-considering this excursion.

We are going in the middle of August and I have heard the heat is aweful and many don't enjoy the ruins because of the heat. :confused:

I'm looking on more opinions on anyone that has gone on this during the summer.

How was the heat? I'm not in the greatest shape, but willing to handle some heat for the experience, but don't want to be miserable.

Any Help????

It's going to be hot...I was hot, but drink plenty of water and you will do fine...everytime we stopped to listen to the guide, I found a shady spot. Wear light clothes, drink drink drink drink....

I'm going in late June (June 29 as scheduled). I can let you know when we get back...

I would not recommend this tour. I just got back from my cruise on the Miracle today and did the Xunantunich Mayan Ruins tour. It's a long trip and it was hot out there but the ruins were great. The problem we had was on the way back our bus broke down. We sat outside for 1 1/2 hours waiting for another bus to pick us up and the 2nd one had no A/C. The high that day was 97 and the bus had been sitting in the sun all day. It was miserable. While I'm sure my experience was not typical, my waiter at dinner said he had heard of someone else with a similar issue and one of my table mates did the other Mayan Ruines tour in Belize (Altun Ha?) and their boat broke down. My recommendation would be to stay closer to the pier and enjoy your day doing something else...other ports also have ruins.

Thanks for the input. We are doing this at the end of October. Looking forward to it.

How long was the trip to the ruins????

Thanks

Kim

It didn't seem that long....maybe because the guides made it so interesting. I saw your post about safety concerns, all I noticed was friendly Belizeans (?). We can't forget that we are not in America and that poverty is not criminal. This is not to say that you don't have to be careful, but I truly loved Belize!

Thank you for your input.

I have just gotten myself so scared of this port, I am not even sure I am letting my kids off the ship. I know I am being way to paranoid. But since we are going to Ruins in Costa Maya and Cozumel I am not worried about missing these...except I have heard they are beautiful. Now that might change again before we go.:D

Have a great day

How was the bus ride?

Lots of bugs?

I would like to also if this tour will be a strain on children, both mine are under the age of 10, (8 & 6) and which company will I save the most money with.

Thanks.

I would like to also if this tour will be a strain on children, both mine are under the age of 10, (8 & 6) and which company will I save the most money with.

Thanks.

Well, it all depends on what kind of kids you have. If you have kids that will not tolerate a long ride in a bus being given a speech by guides, then I would not suggest it. If you have kids that will be interested in what the guides have to say and will tolerate the long ride, then go for it...I think they would really enjoy it! Especially climbing the ruins. We did not have any children on our tour...everyone was at least 18 and over.

As for who to book with, I would book with your ship. It is a LONG ride out and a LONG ride back...I would not want to risk missing the ship. We had about 20 minutes to spare when we got back...

Have fun!

im so glad i found this post. i was wondering about this tour and now i know that it is what i want to do for sure. i cant wait untill i can book it online. it will be awhile but i am going to get my reservation in early. it sounds fantastic and the long ride will be worth it.

thanks everybody for the great replies that have helped me make up my mind. :)

Archived