Sea Sickness Patch

I obtained the patches from my doctor today. I was curious to know just how much drowsiness they have actually caused people. Bonine is going to be my main deterrant, and I'm saving the patches for backup. I anxiously await the imput of those who have previously used the patch.

HMMM wonder if there are different ones.... the one I used for my first cruise (I get seasick standing on a pier ) you had to put on 4 hrs BEFORE you got on the ship for it to work properly. Also was told by Dr. DO NOT CUT IN HALF. This is a no-no. I did get really dry mouth after a few days with same patch (had to use 2 for a 7 day cruise) but just made me drink lots of water which you should do anyway. No blurry vision - definately didnt affect my appetite :D . Just check and make sure these will work if you use them after you get on the ship..... Just a note: on second cruise I took Bonine but never even used it ;)

Interesting. I'm a nurse and I cut the patch in half for my wife. We have had no problems. It still controls her sea sickness but she doesn't suffer the side effects of dry mouth or blurred vision. It also doubles the amount of patches we have,

I'm not sure why you doctor might have told you not to cut it in half but I see no problems with it.

I used the patch on a repositioning from san francisco to vancouver and on my last western carribbean cruise, both times I suffered severe withdrawl symptoms after removing the patch. symtoms were dizziness and flu like feeling. I will continue to use the patch on my next cruise, because nothing works as well for me. and I would rather be sick after my trip than during. also if you were contact lenses be sure to wash your hands very good after applying the patch or you will end up with extremely dialated pupils.

I used the patch on a repositioning from san francisco to vancouver and on my last western carribbean cruise, both times I suffered severe withdrawl symptoms after removing the patch. symtoms were dizziness and flu like feeling. I will continue to use the patch on my next cruise, because nothing works as well for me. and I would rather be sick after my trip than during. also if you were contact lenses be sure to wash your hands very good after applying the patch or you will end up with extremely dialated pupils.

Wow. That's good to know and a little scary. I don't have contacts. Knowing me, I would probably have the same withdrawl symptoms if I used it as well. I guess we're the "lucky" type. That reassures me to at least try to go with the Bonine to start with. I have had withdrawl from other stuff, and it's no fun. But if I must, I'm sure the patch will save me if nothing else works. Thank you so much for your valuable input!

Hello..Having extreme motion sickness on my first cruise, in back seats of cars, on buses and just about anything else that moves, my doctor suggested I try the sea wristbands first since it was an alternative that works with many, and without any medicine involved and side effects.

I must say that 14 cruises later, at least for me and thousands of others, the wristbands work like a charm. The wristbands have a small button on one side, and when palced on the wrist in the proper position, they provide a pressure in that area of the wrist that sends a signal to the brain whcih blocks out whatever causes the motion sickness.

Like anything else, it has proven to work for many, but it might not work for you, however, I would think you would at least want to try it first, and carry the patch with you in case it does not work. If the bands work, you don't have to suffer any side effects of medicine, dorwsiness, etc.

The bands are at most travel agencies, Triple AAA, WalMart,a nd Rite Aid Drugs.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

Dave

Hello..Having extreme motion sickness on my first cruise, in back seats of cars, on buses and just about anything else that moves, my doctor suggested I try the sea wristbands first since it was an alternative that works with many, and without any medicine involved and side effects.

I must say that 14 cruises later, at least for me and thousands of others, the wristbands work like a charm. The wristbands have a small button on one side, and when palced on the wrist in the proper position, they provide a pressure in that area of the wrist that sends a signal to the brain whcih blocks out whatever causes the motion sickness.

Like anything else, it has proven to work for many, but it might not work for you, however, I would think you would at least want to try it first, and carry the patch with you in case it does not work. If the bands work, you don't have to suffer any side effects of medicine, dorwsiness, etc.

The bands are at most travel agencies, Triple AAA, WalMart,a nd Rite Aid Drugs.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks. That's something to consider. I just ended my employment with AAA (NOT a travel agent), and I had considered them many times. We sold them where I worked. I had never heard of them working until now, not that I had had any real input from them. I will give them further consideration.

Hi!

Does anyone know what the active drug is that is used in the patch? Also is this available without a prescription?

Finally, I read somewhere about new stronger Wrist bands with an electrical curent or something? Similar to the sea bands, I think. Anyone know about these?

Thanks,

Dorie

Hi!

Does anyone know what the active drug is that is used in the patch? Also is this available without a prescription?

Finally, I read somewhere about new stronger Wrist bands with an electrical curent or something? Similar to the sea bands, I think. Anyone know about these?

Thanks,

Dorie

Dorie,

Scopolamine is the main ingredient in the patch. I don't think it is availabe without a prescription. If you want to know more about it, go to google.com & type in : TransDerm Scop

I don't know anything about the wrist bands.

Curious1

Never did get drowsy from the patch, but did experience blurred vision:mad: couldn't do any reading, but only experienced that once.

DW also got the blurred vision side effect. Opthamologist told her that side effect impacts approx. 1% of patch users--just her luck!

I get seasick in a kayak in about 3 minutes ... so have a real problem.

We were on Mariner in mid-March and I wore the patch. My dr. advised me that the main side effect was dry-mouth, but there are many others that occur with less frequency. My niece wore a patch on her cruise and wound up losing the sight in one eye. It returned about 2 days after she took off the patch.

ANYHEW ... I put on the patch 4 hours before we left, and I had about ... hmmm ... an HOUR of dry mouth the entire 7 days. That was the only side effect during the cruise. No dizziness, no drowsiness, no nothing. The patch is only effective for 3 days, and I tried to hold out longer but felt a bit ill after about 3 1/2 days. So I put on a new patch and ate a ginger candy, and felt fine in 20 minutes or so.

I normally take half a Bonine when we drive, and get VERY sleepy with even 1/2 Bonine (or non-drowsy Dramamine - same drug). Experienced none of that with the patch. (Some people recommend taking the Bonine before bed each night, and sleeping through the drowsiness.) I have used the wrist bands on rides at Disney and Universal and when flying, but still felt nauseous. The patch was perfect for me.

Someone else noted that they felt woozy for several days after returning home. I did experience this. For about 5 days I felt like I was on the ship. In talking with several people, it seems that this is a common occurance and it may not be related to the patch.

Back to the niece who had such a tough time with the patch, she turned to ginger pills and candies for the remainder of the trip and had no problems! So my seasick kit includes the patch, Bonine, wrist bands, ginger pills AND candy!

Hope this helps and you have a wonderful trip!

I tend to get motion sickness pretty bad as well, especially in the car. I used the patch last time but won't use it this time. It does have some weird side effects. I'm hoping to get a good effect from bonine this time so that the patch wont be needed. I noticed the dry mouth and blurry vision but after the cruise, I experienced what I called cruise withdrawal (not sure what the medical term for it is) where I was really dizzy and felt like I was still on the water. I'm told this is worse after using the patch. Also, the package does say not to cut the patches in half so I didn't. The symptoms may have been better if I had.

Try scopace...... It is the same ingredient that is in the patch, But in pill form and you control the dosage, It usually last from 6-8 hrs and can be taken when needed.... unlike the patch that last 3 days..... The side effects are about the same, But less severe.... You will still need your dr. to precribe.... The site is http://www.scopace.com/

We just got back from our cruise, and I used the patch. I was suprised that I needed it! I did find one weird side effect. I do beleive it counteracted all the acholol I drank. Never felt anything. I could not get drunk to save my life. :p After the 3rd day I gave up and saved my money. LOL

Archived