QM2 4/29/06 Crossing Top 5 Things to Know

harbormaster

Hello: We just booked last minute on the QM2 4/29/06 sailing, balcony cabin. We have sailed Transatlantic before on Radisson Voyager and loved it. We thought we'd try the ocean liner experience this time for a getaway to London.

Would much appreciate if those of you with experience on this ship could give the Top 5 things we should know or do on the ship. We enjoy the days at sea so much and want to take full advantage on this sailing as well. We've found the knowledge on these boards to be so helpful.

Also, does anyone know of a good limousine service from Upper West Side Manhattan to Red Hook?

Thanks and looking forward to all the tips.

1. On boarding, check your table assignment in the Britannia Restaurant and, if necessary, nag mercilously until you get one you are happy with.
  2. Have a Dry Martini, or three, in the Commodore Club.
  3. Attend a lecture and visit the Planetarium - tickets for the latter available the morning of the show.
  4. Visit the Libary - check out a book and find a deck chair you intend to read it in.
  5. Explore! Find Homer Simpson, Norma Shearer and anyone or thing else that tickles your fancy on the Cunard heritage trail.
  6. (a cheat) - come back to the board and tell us all about it!

Bon voyage!

Peter

My wife and I will actually be on the same crossing (it will be our sixth on the QM2). Our top five pieces of advice:

1) book any spa appointments as soon as you board (if your wife is interested in getting her hair done on the formal nights it's important that she book those quickly as they fill up)

2) book any alternative restaurant meals as quickly as possible (Todd English and Lotus have been consistent favorites of ours. If you enjoy cooking then an evening in the "chef's galley" is not to be missed)

3) the Oxford lectures are not to be missed

4) The Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts (RADA) offerings are stupendous

5) if you plan on consuming a lot of sodas or soft drinks buy the "unlimited soft drinks sticker" at the bar

As we are always interested in learning about other cruise lines we'll be very interested to hear of your comparision between Radisson and Cunard.

Enjoy,

David & Erin

How much does the unlimited soft drink sticker cost? Thanks-Thread

On our recent 12-day QM2 voyage on January 3 the soda sticker was $54.51 per person. So on a six-day transatlantic perhaps it costs between $27 and $30 per person.

Cruiserking

Thank you for the advice. We appreciate it. David and Erin, we look forward to the possibility of meeting on board. We do plan to do the lectures and theater and look forward to many other passtimes.

We will be happy to make the comparison of Cunard to Radisson (now Regent). We do anticipate a completely different crossing though, because the ships are so entirely different. The Voyager was much smaller, but lovely and we highly recommend it. The service was superb and food excellent. We chose this crossing because it suited our time schedule better and we've always wanted to take the Queen Mary 2. We love sea days and are very flexible as to food and cabins.

We will take all advice regarding restaurants and bookings. It is much appreciated.

1. Don't miss afternoon tea in the Queens Ballroom, complete with white gloved service and string quartet, very elegant.

2. Enjoy pub lunch at the Golden Lion Pub. The fish and chips and Chicken Korma are standouts.

3. Test your little grey cells at the twice daily Pub Trivia Contests at the Golden Lion Pub. Winning teams collect the coveted yellow prize vouchers which can be redeemed for QM2 souvenires on the last day of your voyage.

4. Take the glass elevator on deck 7- forward.

5. Stroll over to the bridge window on Deck 12 forward and observe the high tech equipment and officers in action as they guide the great ship.

Cruiserking

We have cruised twice on Voyager and in P grill on the QM2 and in fact are on the 23/4 westbound crossing. - our second QM2 crossing. RSSC are several notches above Cunard in terms of quality of cabins and service. The food is very good on the QM2 but I thought Signatures on the Voyager was truly exceptional.

Little differences are things like ordering breakfast in the cabin. On the Voyager they set up the table and lay the food out properly. On the QM2, the tray is just left on the table - small things I know but it is the difference between a truly luxurious experence and just a very good one. I do not think that Cunard have sorted out the service for the top end cabins yet. For instance upon embarkation no one accompanies you to your cabin on QM2 - not like the champagne greeting you get on Voyager!

Having said that, I beleive that Voyager and QM2 are both outstanding ships, QM offers facilities that are outstanding and is a great travel experience.

I can't wait to travel on QM2 again and I'm sure that you will have a wonderful time.

Archived