Century or Majesty of the Seas?

jimbug

We are looking to take a short Caribbean cruise in the winter/early spring 2007, and are trying to decide between a 4-night on the RCCL Majesty of the Seas (visits Coco Cay, Key West, Nassau)...or a 5-night on the Celebrity Century (visits Grand Cayman, Key West).

From what I understand, *both* ships will have undergone extensive renovations/refurbishments by the time we would sail. Has anyone sailed one or both of these ships...have any suggestions/ideas/information?

Based on itinerary, I'd pick the Majesty, but I hate giving up that extra day on the cruise. We've never been on anything shorter than 7 days, and 5 days already seems like too short, let alone 4!

PS...I should add that we have cruised Princess twice and Holland America once, and loved them both. We liked the quiet ambience of HAL, but also enjoyed the wide variety of activities and more active passenger mix on Princess.

I'm trying to decide the same thing!

They both look great to me and we've never sailed Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.

Is the Majesty of the Seas undergoing a renovation? I had not heard that. If so, do you know when?

Thanks for the info.

Paula

I haven't heard officially about Majesty OTS...maybe someone else can fill us in for sure...but if you go to the Royal Caribbean site to book a cruise, the deck plans show they are changing in 2006 (May, I think?). I assume that means some sort of renovation.

We have sailed on both. Majesty of the Seas, used to belong to be calledRoyal Majesty Majesty cruises lines, that went out. RCL bought the ship. Its a small but decent ship. the big problem was in the dining room, the vibrations were terrible, don't know if it was corrected or not. As for Century, they are redoing the whole ship adding balonies and lots of extras. Celebrity is my favorite, so I would definitely go with Century. good luck with your choice. but either way no cruise is bad!;)

We have sailed on both. Majesty of the Seas, used to belong to be calledRoyal Majesty Majesty cruises lines, that went out. RCL bought the ship. I;)

Just want to clarify things here. The Majesty of the Seas has always sailed for RCI. The Royal Majesty is under NCL as the Norwegian Majesty....

We're experienced cruisers who've sailed RCI, NCL, Princess, and Carnival. This past February we sailed Celebrity for the first time. We absolutely loved it. If I had my thinking cap on, we would have booked a future cruise while onboard to get a shipboard credit. However, as soon as we got home, I did some research and we booked the Constellation 11 day Caribbean cruise for next February.

Today we booked the Celebrity Century 5 night to Key West and Grand Cayman. We're planning to make it a family affair next spring break time with my parents, sibs, and nieces and nephews.

I can tell you one thing...the cabins on RCI Majesty of the Seas are very small. We sailed that ship two years ago and while we had a nice time, I don't think it comes close to Celebrity.

I've been on both and Century wins hands down. While Majesty of the Seas is a little larger ship, they have a whole heck of alot more passengers also. Cabins are very small on the Majesty of the Seas, insides at 119 sg.ft. where Century is 174. Food and service is much better on Century. I agree about the itinerary...I tended to like Coco Cay and Key west better, but an extra day is worth considering.

Just want to clarify things here. The Majesty of the Seas has always sailed for RCI. The Royal Majesty is under NCL as the Norwegian Majesty....

Sorry, you are right, I was half asleep when thinking of that this afternoon. Well, I still would go with Century.;)

• 3 weeks later...

I've cruise both lines and the worst ship I had ever been on was the Majest of the Seas. I'm sorry, I have to be blunt, but it was the only cruise that I couldn't wait to get off the ship. I even wanted to eat off the ship because I hated the buffet area.

Do the Century please, I don't think you will be disappointed. I would even consider a Carnival or NCL over the Majesty....sorry to you folks who love the Majesty, I hated it.

I was on the Century (before overhaul) and it was nice, but the new Century is going to be fabulous. It's going to be like the Millenium class ships Celebrity has and as you can see by my signature I love those ships. Great food, service and overall you will not be dissapointed.

Hope this helps.

We just sailed the Majesty earlier this month and loved her. We didn't feel any vibrations in the dining room and the only time we felt any swaying at all was on our way from Coco Cay up to Key West. Apparently the current was strong or something. I don't know. I liked it but I suppose some people might not have. I heard no complaints.

The cabins are small, but we weren't in them very much so the size didn't bother us. The food was good, the itinerary was great (LOVED Coco Cay) and personally we liked the size of the ship. We never had to wait for a chair anywhere and the lines at the buffet line went quickly.

This was our first cruise though, so take that into consideration. We have nothing to compare it to......yet! ;) I'm sure you'll love whichever you choose!

(there's a link to photos in my signature if you want to take a look)

Well... I just blocked space for one of my Red Hat groups. They did the Majesty OTS last year.

They aren't repeating again this year, that's for sure!

They are Century-bound!!!!

I haven't heard officially about Majesty OTS...maybe someone else can fill us in for sure...but if you go to the Royal Caribbean site to book a cruise, the deck plans show they are changing in 2006 (May, I think?). I assume that means some sort of renovation.

They are reclassifying cabins on this class of ship. Majesty has not been scheduled for a Sovereign type renovation.

I have been on Majesty 5 times, and always enjoyed the ship and service. However, for many reasons I would definitely choose Century if you like the quiet ambience of HAL. You will not get that on Majesty.

Archived