When to go to Europe????

kkettle70

Hey Everyone,

My hubbie and I are so excited about the intenaries for the Carnival Freedom for 2007. However, we do not know when to go. We would like it to be warm and sunny so that on sea days we can actually relax by the pool but not too hot so that on port days the tours are unbearable. When is the rainny season in the med?

If we decide what month to go soon, we will definetly be able to accomodate the trip into our hectic work schedules. Any opinions .... April, May or June?

Thanks for your help!

I've been to Europe several times & mid September was the best for me. Went on 1 Mediterrenean cruise starting mid October & it was great except for 1 day of rainey weather. Just don't go in August...........that's when everyone in Europe is on vacation & lots of shops are closed for the month.

We're doing the Greece itinerary in April.

We spent a couple of weeks in Italy in May a couple of years ago, and I thought the weather was perfect (this was early May). We had a couple of overcast/rainy days in Rome, which required sweaters. But we also had days which were warm and sunny.

We rented a house south of the Amalfi area, and were able to swim in the ocean. We were not joined in this by many Italians, but many Germans were also enjoying the beach!

I think, much like springs in the US, it can vary year-to-year.

Of the months you are considering, I would think any one has the potential for lovely weather. If you're considering April, you might look into the group cruise being put together for 4/19 - all info. is on a thread in the roll call section, and there was also a thread in this forum. The rates are amazing, and the amenities pretty wonderful!

I echo the previous poster who said don't go in August. I would add July to that. It can get SO hot, and the air conditioning is not what we are accustomed to here.

Enjoy whatever you decide.

If you are considering the western med then I would say the best times to visit are May, June, the early part of July and September. I would avoid late July and August - not only will everywhere be busy but trips to cities could prove to be uncomfortably hot and stifling. We cruised the western Med late October 2004 and the weather was OK. The southern part of Spain and France was actually quite warm and sunny, but Italy was a disaster - we encountered torrential downpours in Rome and Pisa. It was also impossible to go out at night on deck. There were gales and it was really cold. It also went dark early.

I have never cruised the eastern Med but I have visited Greece on several occasions and it can get seriously hot as early as June. (Mind you I am English and my idea of seriously hot might be different from other nationalities!!!) I would avoid certainly avoid July and August.

Anyway, whatever time of year you visit I hope you have a wonderful time!!:)

Andrea

to England, Scotland, Ireland, Norway, Belgium, the Netherlands and France on our cruise. The weather in England was like TEXAS! They were having RECORD setting heat waves there! We enjoyed it in the 90's...we didn't mind at all! Scotland of course was rainy but in the 60's...Ireland was about mid 70's...Norway was refreshing in the 50's and 60's...Belgium was great in the 70's..so was the Netherlands...and France it was in the upper60's to low 70's. The only time we were rained on was in Scotland..but we didn't care. We loved the weather in June in Europe...not too cold and not too hot for us..after all, we are from Texas!

Thank-you for all of your replies. It is so hard to decide when to go. We want to go when the weather is warm but not terribly hot. I think we will opt for early June. Hopefully we will get the weather we want :)

Krista

We went last September on the Liberty (I think it was Sept 8.). Weather was absolutely perfect!

Also, since it was post-Labor Day, like zero kids. Only adults in the pool and hot tubs -- can you imagine??? Nothing against kids, but if you don;t have any or they are all grown up --- well, let me say we had a fabulous time on what was really an adults only cruise.

CTMak

I've been to Italy in April and the weather was still pretty cool. I needed a coat throughout the country, even in Sicily. If you want warmer weather, you have a better chance for higher temperatures in May or June.

The problem with weather is . . . you never can tell!

Archived