Beach Recommendation for Family

csg62

We are a family with two boys 15 and 12 and are wondering about taking them to Orient Beach. Is this appropriate for families? Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

We were just at Orient Beach with my 17-yo daughter and 16-yo friend. They had a blast. This was our favorite day of the whole cruise. There is just a little bit of nudity, most topless. We got over it and didn't even notice after the first few walked by.

There is so much for teens to do on that beach. It is very clean, lots of restaurants, beach chairs, shops, and tons of kids. There were also great waves to play in at that beach. I miss it already!

As Plum Mad says: there will be many families on Orient Beach and there are diversions suitable for kids (water slide etc) and some of the beach bar/restaurants have mini-playground areas for little children. Just mention to the kids that they will be seeing the occasional nude person walk by - so they won't be surprised. At the hotel we stayed at last year, there were several families and the kids just ignored the naked people and had fun.

For a 1st visit, I'd recommend Orient. We've been there several times & didn't want to spend the time getting there & back, so tried the beach right at Phillipsburg (where you get off the $5/day water taxi). We had a blast! If you rent loungers & umbrella ($14) from a someone hawking them in a beach restaurant, you'll be able to use their restroom. We spent entire day blissed out sunning, swimming (on & off floaties), eating & drinking. So convenient. They also had a water trampoline/slide. Not nearly as long as Orient though. Felt very safe, was clean.

I recommend Little Divi Bay Resort, a $5 P/P taxi ride (10 minute ride from the cruise ships). It is a resort, but you can use the beach without being a guest. They have wave runners, snorkeling, banana boat rides, parasailing, kayaks, and paddle boats. There is a $10 charge for an umbrella and $5 for a lounge chair. The guys never came around to collect, so we used the area until 1pm without charge. It is a beautiful beach with lots of things to do, or just relax. There is a cafe and coffee shop, bathrooms, outdoor showers, etc. A really pleasant and gorgeous beach, away from the crowds and nudity of Orient beach.

Just take the water taxi when you come off the ship. It is $5 pp, but you can use it as much as you want all day. We were just there last week. We rented Segways with my 13- and 16-y.o. sons, and had a blast. The owner goes with you, but it is really laid back. He took us down the boardwalk, out onto the beach, through the little town, and even stopped at the ATM for me, so I could pay him. Your kids will love this. It is not at the Divi Little Bay Resort. It is just in the Litte Bay area. It is closer to where you exit the water taxi. Ask where the Holland House Hotel is. That's where they're set up. They charge $25 pp. for 30 min., which is plenty of time. RCI charges $65 pp for this excursion. We had actually booked through RCI. The excursion desk called us the day before and said that it was cancelled because the tour operator would be off the island. We decided to go looking on our own, with the hope that they'd have someone else operating it. We totally lucked out. The owner had two friends fill in for him that day. Let me know if you have any other questions.

As for Orient Beach, our travelling companions went there last week with six kids. They absolutely loved it and said it was the best day of their cruise. However, they also spent $100 on taxis (remember, there were 8 of them). You can easily spend all day at Little Bay.

Have a great time. I'm sure you'll love whatever you decide to do.

Archived