Suggestions for Private Tours - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso

cruzin4us

Becky and Donald,

We stayed at the Hotel Orly on January 8 in Santiago. It was a delightful hotel and I highly recommend it. We could walk right to the cable cars to the park, etc., etc. The morning breakfast was very nice and free internet on the 2nd or 3rd floor for guests to use.

As for clothes in Santiago. We were there on a Sunday and ate at the market. Casual dress. Be sure to go there and the city square. Unfortunately for us, the nice restaurants I had wanted to eat were closed on Sunday, so we at at the Hotel Orly, which was fine---outside!

In Valparaiso, it was also hot on January 9-10. We stayed at the Hotel Brighton another delightful place high on the hill with an awesome view of the bay.

I wore nice khakis and a knit top. I got sunburned around the neck!! Forgot about the sun with all the involvement in our new place! I did not wear sneakers (at home it's 24/7 for them!!!) I bought 2 very comfortable pairs of loafers and wore them most of the trip. I don't even know if I took the sneakers or now--maybe for on the ship. For the nice restaurants, I wore the same thing and was fine. We ate at a nice hotel very near our hotel which was recommended for the view and food. (Cafe Turri)

You can read my post of the entire trip from Jan 7-Feb. 7 elsewhere on this board.

Have fun.

Thanks for all your input!

Carol. My husband and I loved the seafood, will look for information on a good one restaurant of seafood and fish,

Dileep I believe that Veramonte will be our option. We have listened to good reports of that vineyard

Gerena thank you very much by its valuable Information, it is helpful for us, appeared some doubts with the hotel, with its aid my thought is very safe now

Becky and Donald :)

You people are AWESOME!!! Hoping to have a S.A. cruise in future, but wanted to include Manaus, but the more I'm reading about BA I'm beginning to change my mind... It's information on this site.. that makes cruising a pleasure.. and the thoughts of King Crab will drive me crazy until I get on a cruise.. If your ever in Boston let me know and I'llhelp you all out.or Halifax or St. Johns...or need a guide in Barcelona..THANK YOU, THANK YOU BTW is there a favorite cruise line or ship you use.. I don't like mega ships..

You people are AWESOME!!! Hoping to have a S.A. cruise in future, but wanted to include Manaus, but the more I'm reading about BA I'm beginning to change my mind... It's information on this site.. that makes cruising a pleasure.. and the thoughts of King Crab will drive me crazy until I get on a cruise.. If your ever in Boston let me know and I'llhelp you all out.or Halifax or St. Johns...or need a guide in Barcelona..THANK YOU, THANK YOU BTW is there a favorite cruise line or ship you use.. I don't like mega ships..

The King Crab in Ushuaia and in Punta Arenas was fantastic. We like the Celebrity M-Class ships and have enjoyed them in Alaska, Baltics, and South America. Our next cruise is from Barcelona to Venice.

We used to live in Shrewsbury and I stay in Marlboro when I visit Hudson.

What seafood place do you recommend there?

We have in Marlboro near Rte 84 and Rte 20 Coral Seafoods... It is the Coral that was in Worcester.. They closed the restaurant in Worc. and jut last week opened a brand new one on Shrewsbury Street. Sole Prop. we feel is very overpriced....lol You can drive to Natick on Route 9 going East and find Legal Seafoods, but of the two we prefer Skipjacks.. Coral is definately in Marlboro our favorite. I assume when your in Marlboro your in one of the hotels on Route 20..across the street from us.. A 99 Restaurant will be opening within a few weeks...right across from the animal hospital... Of course Hudson has changed too and a very popular place is Soupherb at 439 Main Street, Chloe, the bistro at the circle

BTW do you need a guide in Barcelona? We did Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale just about a year ago on the Century...loved it.. parrotmom@comcast.net

We have in Marlboro near Rte 84 and Rte 20 Coral Seafoods... It is the Coral that was in Worcester.. They closed the restaurant in Worc. and jut last week opened a brand new one on Shrewsbury Street. Sole Prop. we feel is very overpriced....lol You can drive to Natick on Route 9 going East and find Legal Seafoods, but of the two we prefer Skipjacks.. Coral is definately in Marlboro our favorite. I assume when your in Marlboro your in one of the hotels on Route 20..across the street from us.. A 99 Restaurant will be opening within a few weeks...right across from the animal hospital... Of course Hudson has changed too and a very popular place is Soupherb at 439 Main Street, Chloe, the bistro at the circle

BTW do you need a guide in Barcelona? We did Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale just about a year ago on the Century...loved it.. parrotmom@comcast.net

I usually stay at the Radisson, Holiday Inn or Best Western. Coral is good and I like the wine shop next door too. Have eaten at the Sole Proprietor and Legal too! I thought Skipjacks was pricey for lunch! I know the area pretty well having lived there for 10+ years! We will do Barcelona on our own or on the HOHO bus!

The BA to Valaparaiso was one of our top vacations!

• 3 weeks later...

Dileep

Might you say, the approximate time what lasts the tour in the vineyard, we do not want to enter to the ship, very late. We will go from Santiago to the 9 a.m. but, also we want to have sufficient time to visit Valparaiso and Vina del Mar. You think that we will have the time, for visit of vineyard.

I have another question any suggestion, I will be very grateful

My husband and I are lovers of the semiprecious stones. We know that in Chile exists, a blue stone called lapislazuli,. We wanted to visit a shop that is not costly There is some person who could recommend a shop of these crafts

You have. My respects

Dileep

Might you say, the approximate time what lasts the tour in the vineyard, we do not want to enter to the ship, very late. We will go from Santiago to the 9 a.m. but, also we want to have sufficient time to visit Valparaiso and Vina del Mar. You think that we will have the time, for visit of vineyard.

We stopped at Veramonte on our way from Valparaiso to Santiago in the afternoon. There is no tour of the cellar at that time. You see the vineyards and taste wine. We were there for less than 30 minutes.

The Veramonte Visitor Center is open from 9:00 am until 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday and 9:00 am until 14:30 on Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.veramonte.com/home.html

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are lovers of the semiprecious stones. We know that in Chile exists, a blue stone called lapislazuli,. We wanted to visit a shop that is not costly There is some person who could recommend a shop of these crafts

You have. My respects

Dear Becky,

My friend, who lives in Florida, went to a place when they were in Santiago and bought a beautiful Lapiz vase. I will ask her where they went and I"ll get back with you.

Carol

We are booked on Infinity for the December 17th cruise. Luckily enough we ended up with an aft cabin #9160.

I've always found the private tours better than the ship excursions, we are not into being herded around with a bunch of people........cruising yes, but tours no. It seems like we can see and do more if we aren't waiting around for a bunch of "lolly gaggers".

I realize you can't post the private tour information unless someone asks, so I'M ASKING!!!! :D

Our ports of call are:

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Montevideo, Uruguay
  • Puerto Madryn, Argentina
  • Ushuaia, Argentina
  • Punta Arenas, Chile
  • Puerto Montt, Chile
  • Valparaiso, Chile

Thanks!!!

Laurie

We are booked in same cruise. We are couple. If you need more people to join you in any trip, Please let us know. I believe in private tours also.

Ashok.

Dear Becky,

My friend, who lives in Florida, went to a place when they were in Santiago and bought a beautiful Lapiz vase. I will ask her where they went and I"ll get back with you.

Carol

This is the reply from my friend,

It was an outdoor shopping area(like a mall but Santiago style) and it was called Santo Domingo or something like that. There are alot of stores that sell the lapis but we thought this Santo Domingo(?) was the best priced. I found out about this area from someone on the cruise who was in SA before.

Dear Brahmama

You have been really nice I value his help, I Will Try to do what you indicate to me.

I am informed that there is a place so called barriobellavista and in this place we can will find the factories of these crafts, they commented to me that we can find pieces of lapislazuli of excellent quality to a very reasonable price

Thank you for his help

Becky

• 4 weeks later...

Laura,

Here's our experience and most tour operators were recommended by other Cruise Critic Members. Did not go wrong!!

Tours from Santiago to Rio (including Iguazzu)

Santiago to Valparaiso-Vina del Mar. http://www.enaturchile.com Victor Aballai was very good. See my post on Rotterdam--Jan 11 to see comments. victor.aballai@enturchile.com $45 pp.

Puerto Montt GV Tours http://www.gvtours.com Fantastic. Veronica and Gail Stein are the guides. gvstein@surnet.cl $50 pp. incl lunch

Punta Arenas Turismo Viento Sur http://www.vientosur.com I worked with Francesca Baldecchi agencia@vientosur.com She was very attentive and we had Paulina and a driver as our guide. College student who was excellent.

Took Penguin colony tour and 1/2 day city tour. $94 pp

Ushuaia, Argentina Used the HAL tour to the National Park & Beagle Channel. Was OK, but would rather be with just our small foursome rather than the large bus. $109 pp

Falkland Islands---we did our own thing in the town. Was raining anyway!!!!

Buenos Aires Carlos Vitro at Private Tours Fantastic guide http://www.privatetours.com.ar $80 pp incl lunch and tango demo---all day tour

Montivideo We had planned to just do our own thing, but there were lots of taxis outside the ship, so we used one of them and had a fantastic tour for about 4 hours---even got to go into the presidents house! $17 pp.

Rio Peter Novak We saw so much of Rio, I can't even imagine. He picked us up at 8:00 and we returned to the ship at 8:00--4 of us. Approx. $165 pp. Took us places a bus could never find!!!! He was our personal guardian for the day. http://www.privatetours.com.br I was a little concerned about the cost at first---but it was well worth it.

Iguazzu Oliver Daizi www1.fallsbrazil.com.br met us at the airport and took us on a tour of the Brazil side before taking us to our hotel. He was excellent, even doing all our paperwork at immigration.We toured the Argentine side by ourselves the next day.

Highly recommend individual tour guides rather than the ship. I used this board to find recommendations and glad we did.

Dear Gerena,

I did read your very helpful trip review, but I can't remember what year it was. Some of the prices have been raised as might be expected. Here are 2 of the prices as of December 06.

The Puerto Montt GV Tours with the Steins are now $65 pp (including lunch)

(Still a good deal imo)

Carlos quoted us:

Private City Tour + Private Transfer to the Port Terminal

Pick up 9 am.

Visit the historical neighborhoods and the main touristic sights. 9 de Julio Ave., PLAZA DE MAYO, a visit to the Metropolitan Cathedral. SAN TELMO, sightseeing constructions dating back from the XVIII and XIX centuries. LA BOCA, where the first european inmigrants arrived at the end of the XIX century; a walk along Caminito (little path) you will find different artists, street shows and colorful houses called conventillos. A visit to one of these old constructions is included. To the north, PUERTO MADERO and its Docks, PALERMO and its woods. RECOLETA visit to Evita´s Mausoleum.

Duration 3 1/2 hours (with the transfer included).

U.S.$ 45.- per person.

(This is without lunch and without a tango demo, by the way and is probably the normal price charged now)

Victor's prices are the same (!) for Valparaiso/Chile Transfers.

Thanks for the info.

Laura,

Here's our experience and most tour operators were recommended by other Cruise Critic Members. Did not go wrong!!

Tours from Santiago to Rio (including Iguazzu)

Santiago to Valparaiso-Vina del Mar. http://www.enaturchile.com Victor Aballai was very good. See my post on Rotterdam--Jan 11 to see comments. victor.aballai@enturchile.com $45 pp.

Puerto Montt GV Tours http://www.gvtours.com Fantastic. Veronica and Gail Stein are the guides. gvstein@surnet.cl $50 pp. incl lunch

Punta Arenas Turismo Viento Sur http://www.vientosur.com I worked with Francesca Baldecchi agencia@vientosur.com She was very attentive and we had Paulina and a driver as our guide. College student who was excellent.

Took Penguin colony tour and 1/2 day city tour. $94 pp

Ushuaia, Argentina Used the HAL tour to the National Park & Beagle Channel. Was OK, but would rather be with just our small foursome rather than the large bus. $109 pp

Falkland Islands---we did our own thing in the town. Was raining anyway!!!!

Buenos Aires Carlos Vitro at Private Tours Fantastic guide http://www.privatetours.com.ar $80 pp incl lunch and tango demo---all day tour

Montivideo We had planned to just do our own thing, but there were lots of taxis outside the ship, so we used one of them and had a fantastic tour for about 4 hours---even got to go into the presidents house! $17 pp.

Rio Peter Novak We saw so much of Rio, I can't even imagine. He picked us up at 8:00 and we returned to the ship at 8:00--4 of us. Approx. $165 pp. Took us places a bus could never find!!!! He was our personal guardian for the day. http://www.privatetours.com.br I was a little concerned about the cost at first---but it was well worth it.

Iguazzu Oliver Daizi www1.fallsbrazil.com.br met us at the airport and took us on a tour of the Brazil side before taking us to our hotel. He was excellent, even doing all our paperwork at immigration.We toured the Argentine side by ourselves the next day.

Highly recommend individual tour guides rather than the ship. I used this board to find recommendations and glad we did.

Brahmama,

I've been trying to contact you by e-mail to wish you a great trip since you are leaving soon.

Our cruise left Jan 11, 2006.

I'm sure prices go up. I don't know how the Steins in Puerto Montt did it for that price anyway. There was one park we went to that we had to pay a little extra for and I wouldn't have wanted to have missed it---to a water falls (I forget the name right now), but it was awesome. He may be including that in the price. At the beginning of the trip, there were some gardens we went to, but we just used the restrooms and left, but did not pay admissin to the gardens.

Rena

I just received an email from victor at enaturchile.com for 2-24-07 and he quoted $180 for two ,Santiago to Valpariso. This does include a stop at a winery and a tour of Valpariso. This rate is double that you mentioned.

Did your quote include the winery and tour?

Jerry

Yes, in included a stop at the Vermonte Winery on the way from Santiago to Valparaiso. Had a tour of Valparaiso. The stop at the winery was not a "tour" but simply a winetasting and gift shop. Keep that in mind as you read. There is supposedly a very nice winery outside of town, but not directly on the way to Valparaiso.

Hi Gerena,

Yes, our cruise leaves in just a week! We have waited so long I can't believe it is almost time. We've been planning an SA cruise for at least 4 years, but something always came up.

Hi Jerwick,

Victor's rates are based on how many are in a group. When it was just my husband and myself, the rate was $210 for 2 - but that was for an extended tour of Santiago. When we changed to 6 people the charge is $360 for 6 - and the vineyard tour is extra $. And of course lunch is extra. If we hadn't extended our tour, the price would have been $180 for 2. So I think he is very consistent.

Yes, in included a stop at the Veramonte Winery on the way from Santiago to Valparaiso. Had a tour of Valparaiso. The stop at the winery was not a "tour" but simply a winetasting and gift shop. Keep that in mind as you read. There is supposedly a very nice winery outside of town, but not directly on the way to Valparaiso.

They do have tours of the cellar at certain times of the day, but we missed it. Is the winery outside town you are referring to Concha y Toro? It is about an hour out of Santiago in Maipo Valley. They have an excellent tour that includes tasting. You need a whole afternoon for it. We were part of a large bus group and it cost us about $30 pp.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying reading all the reports of private tour operators, and I'm sure we will use one or several of them for our cruise on Infinity 2/25/07. We're flying in early to Buenos Aires and looking to maximize our time there. One of the posts here talked about a nautical tour, and I found BARBA CHARTERS Tigre Delta Islands Guided Nautical Tours on the web. Does anyone have experience with Captain Santi and this company? Their website is very well-done, but sometimes that is misleading!

I've noted all the recommendations on this thread...for tango experiences and other tours in BA and throughout the cruise. Thanks to all who contribute!

Carol (that would be Bernermom!)

Archived