Travel costs/Renting Snorkel Equip at Trunk Bay

In about 2 weeks, my husband and I will be in St. Thomas for the day on a cruise that goes into Charlotte Amalie. I've been reading previous posts and I have some questions... hopefully someone who has been to St. John before can help! (Right now I'm booked on a Royal Caribbean excursion, but I'm considering doing this on my own because the snorkeling trip at Trunk Bay is only 1.5 hours with the cruiseline.)

Does anyone know the costs of renting snorkel equipment at Trunk Bay? I read that you need a security deposit of a CC or $100 cash, but what does the actual cost of the equipment after getting your deposit back?

Here's what I can gather from some posts and websites I've read:

(Could someone confirm that this sounds about right?)

• Taxi from Charlotte Amalie to Red Hook to catch ferry - $10 for 2 or $8 for 1 person (OR can I take ferry from Charlotte Amalie for $7pp? to Cruz Bay? How far is Cruz Bay from Trunk Bay?)
  • Red Hook ferry to St. John/or from Charlotte Amalie to St. JOhn??
  • Taxi to Trunk Bay - $8 for 2 people

I was going by this website, if anyone finds it useful: http://tourism.virginislandsdailynews.com

Please help! I'm getting confused with all the prices... But I'm still thinking we'll save by not going thru the ship... plus have more time in ST. John.

Hello,

I'm not positive but I think the snorkel gear rental at Trunk Bay is around $7-$10.

Taxi to Red Hook from Havensight - $10 per person, one way and takes around 17-20 minutes.

You could take the Charlotte Amalie if the schedule works for you.

The Charlotte Amalie ferry is currently $11.50 per person, one way.

The taxi to Trunk Bay from Cruz Bay is $6 a person, one way and the drive takes about 12 minutes.

The taxi rates on the site you referenced are out dated.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Thanks for the info! I think we'll probably take the ferry from Charlotte Amalie... Do you think that's the best if we can make the ferry time?

I think I saw that the ferry left at 9am... Are the ferry schedules pretty accurate (from the website I used)?

One more question, if you don't mind answering... Is Havensight very close to Charlotte Amalie, if we need to take a taxi to Red Hook? Thanks...

Hello,

Either ferry is fine, the major difference is the lenght of time it takes; Red Hook ferry is about 15-20 minutes and the Charlotte Amalie ferry is 45 minutes. If you get seasick easily then you might want the shorter trip. You can double check the ferry schedule at http://www.*****/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/.

Havensight is about 6 minutes drive from Charlotte Amalie.

--Islander

Hello,

I'm not positive but I think the snorkel gear rental at Trunk Bay is around $7-$10.

Taxi to Red Hook from Havensight - $10 per person, one way and takes around 17-20 minutes.

You could take the Charlotte Amalie if the schedule works for you.

The Charlotte Amalie ferry is currently $11.50 per person, one way.

The taxi to Trunk Bay from Cruz Bay is $6 a person, one way and the drive takes about 12 minutes.

The taxi rates on the site you referenced are out dated.

--Islander

www.*****

Thanks again, Islander... Hmm... I might have to rethink doing the cruiseline's excursion; it looks like it's going to be almost $100 to do it on our own. For two, at least $40 to get to the ferry, another $40+ to ferry it there and back, and then $12 to get to Trunk Bay and $20 or so for the snorkel gear. That stinks... I was hoping to save money! :(

Do you happen to know of any excursions not given thru the cruise lines that would save us a bit?

Do you happen to know of any excursions not given thru the cruise lines that would save us a bit?

Can't think of any private trips that offer what the ship offers (mainly that they include transportation/ferry). The non-ship excursion ferry option would be the public ferry that you priced out above. There is a water taxi also - price will be similar or more. You can do a private charter, you'd still need to take a taxi to the East End where most leave from & you'd be enjoying the island for the sea - sailing/snorkeling etc. rather than being on island.

--Islander

• 1 month later...

Hi. I found this post in a search for exactly what you were asking at the time. Hope your cruise was wonderful.

Did you end up going through the ship or on your own to Trunk Bay?

I'm currently in the same situation you were in when you were planning what to do. I was almost convinced that I could just do it on our own, but after reading this I'd rather not go through the headache of 1) carrying over $100 in cash and 2) worrying about catching all of the transportation for what could end up being maybe over a half hour of what RCI's excursion would give us.

If you happen to read this and respond...thanks ahead of time!

Archived