Is it cheaper to take a taxi to Dunn's River Falls

cltkathy

Is it cheaper to take a taxi to the Falls instead of a tour? Has anyone done this? How much was the taxi from the port to the Falls? We're not interested in doing a tour. We just want to climb the falls.

Dear CTLKathy:

We did take a taxi to the Falls & I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it!!! The ship was charging $40.00 per person (for trans. & admission). HOWEVER, be aware that the ship is trying to corner the market on doing it by yourself! When you get off the ship, there are many taxi's hanging around for the "do it by yourself people". They ALL had a set rate of $8.00 per person round trip. If you are by yourself or even two people, you might just use these taxi's. HOWEVER, if you have 4 or more, get a taxi ON YOUR OWN. To do this, you must walk our of the ship's compound & into the street. Make sure you get a red plate taxi, & you'll be all set.

We found a taxi for $10.00 one way to the falls for all of us. Coming back from the falls, we found a taxi who took us for $8.00 for all of us! Bottom line: family of 5 would have paid $200.00 with the ship. Doing it with the ship-controlled taxi's would have been $40.00 for taxi & $75.00 to get into the falls = $115.00. If you walk out of the "compound", you will pay $18.00 for taxi & $75.00 to get in the falls = $93.00.

On the way back from the falls, the taxi driver told us that ship the ship uses their own taxi's (and sets the rates), the little guy can hardly make it anymore.

So, I would rather help out the locals than the ship.

Have fun!

We were there a few months ago and only paid $5.50pp ROUNDTRIP. We got in a taxi/van inside the pier area and took the 5-10 minute ride to the falls. We then set a pick up time and he came back and got us. If you want more info on going to Dunn's Falls one your own, do a search for posts in our name and look for our review.

Dear Cool Cruise 02:

All the rates went up as of April 1!!!! The transportation inside the fence was ALL $8.00 per person round trip; quite pricey.

The Falls also went up as of April 1. They had been $10.00 per person, but then went up to $15.00 on April 1. Children under 10 or 12 (I forget what age) were $12.00.

The locals will be happy if you walk outside that fence. We liked this because you didn't have the large tour type bus. We could talk to our driver & ask the questions WE wanted to ask & find out the things WE wanted to know!

When we were there in November it was $15.00 for Dunns Falls, so I don't know what your saying about price increase to $15.00 on April 1st.

I do not think $8pp round trip is pricey.

I would rather take a taxi inside the pier fence because they are govn't regulated. Our driver was very informative and came back to get us at the appointed time.

IMHO

Oops.....we were told that the rates had gone up on April 1, so I was just stating what we had been told; didn't mean to give out any mis-information!! Sorry!!

The Red license plates cabbies are also regulated by the government. I guess Cltkathy will have to make up their own mind. Like I had posted earlier, our family of 5 would have had to dish out $40.00 instead of the $18.00 that we had spent. AND, if all of that $40.00 had gone to the cab driver, I would not have been upset. HOWEVER, most of that $40.00 is going to the Cruise ship--not the locals.

Anyway, enough said. We just prefer to be in a cab by ourselves & the kids can blurt out any question at anytime & don't have to wait for the other 20 people in the cab-van.

Anyway, Cltkathy, you'll have lots of fun doing the falls.

I don't know if you have teenagers, but ours did the falls 3 or 4 times. We did not use the guide as our kids thought that it looked boring to be following in a line holding hands. You'll have to decide how fit you are & how venturous you are. We parents had no problem doing it without a guide either.

Oh, make sure you take some water socks along or old tennis shoes. (You can rent water socks for $5.00 at the falls if you do not have them.)

I did see a couple of people climbing with FLIP FLOPS on! They did state that it was not easy. I also saw a 20 something woman doing it is her BARE FEET. So, guess anything is possible.

I was told to make sure to use a taxi that had the JUTA symbol on them? Is that the red plate everyone's talking about? There will be 6 adults in our party and we just want to go to the falls as well. How do I know which taxi is safe and which is not?

Amy

We are arriving in Mobay May 31,2006 on the Conquest with several friends and family. About 15 to 20 of us would like to do something unique like the falls or Black River. We also want to spend some time drinking, laughing and playing at Margartiville. Is it possible to do both regarding time and location?

This is our first trip to the island.... I guess I am asking if you were traveling with people that want to have a great time partying and taking in a few of the sights what would you recommend?

We went to Dunn's Falls at 9:30am and our taxi driver came back at 11:30 to get us. That was plenty of time. Then it is a 5-10 min drive back to the pier. Just have him drop you off at the Island Village Shopping Center (Margaritaville is inside). It is only 1-2 block walk then to the ship. You should easily be at Margaritaville for lunch. Have fun! :)

Archived