Wearing medals

michaelq

The 31st Regiment United States Army still sings the "Marine Corps Hymn"

at all reunions and Memorial functions. Well who knows the last few years.

We also sing slowly the Navy Hymn:

Verse 1: Eternal Father, strong to save,

Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,

Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep

Its own appointed limits keep;

Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,

For those in peril on the sea!

Verse 2: O Christ! Whose voice the waters heard

And hushed their raging at Thy word,

Who walked'st on the foaming deep,

And calm amidst its rage didst sleep;

Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,

For those in peril on the sea!

SUCH Honor to the Marines! Navy Corpsman and all:

We live this every day and are proud.

Just a tribute to the United States Marines. Gotta love those Navy Corpsman...

Doc here and out.

Okay, I had the regs all ready to post three days ago when my puter crashed (besides, HeelMD posted such an eloquent post I couldn't go and ruin it by quoting regs, now could I?)

Yes, I am proud of being a pilot, a skydiver (Well, okay- I only did two jumps, but was a manifestor for a number of years, and dragged Marc into the sport and he has hundreds of jumps!) for that matter Marc was a rotory wing CFI. Neither of us is active at any of these pursuits any more. Also proud of my 6 years in CAP- got me started in aviaition, and taught me a lot of good things, met some wonderful people and participated in search and rescue that just put a lot of meaning into my life in many many ways. I was a 99, (Knew a charter 99, RIP) and am equally proud of my 27 years (this past weekend) at "the telephone company" Now in a cellular division, But I can often find ways to work that in if someone seems to share my loves. Usually people give clues- in their jewelry, clothing items or hats, maybe things they might carry, such as an enbossed notebook with some sort of emblem.These things are marvelous and are some of what makes up the whole. But they pale next to someone who has risked his or her life- in a just or unjust war, signed up or drafted, for something they may or may not agree with. It changes one. Even the most gung-ho- My cousin Johnnie, who gladly signed up fro Vietnam., and as an officer, when he couldn't be a pilot, (too short) chose to tbrow himself into the front lines, as infantry. I respect that, and I have seen people stricken by "the fruit of the tree of knowledge of evil" so to speak. Once you see some things, you can never go back to before.

If someone feels strongly that they wish to wear uniform or medals, then I wish to honor them, even if sometimes it isn't 100% acording to Hoyle. (or the U.S. Government)

That's just the way I feel

YMMV

Karie,

who could never dishonor even someone wearing the uniform wrong, if it is heartfelt.

Going through the thread, I think the consensus is that it probably is not the official recognized thing to do, but most would not be offended by and would see it as a conversation starter. There are a few on the far end of the spectrum on each side, but overall most don't seem to see it as a big deal.

As a side note, I am named after a British soldier that my grandfather became close friends with in WWII. My grandfather was at Normandy and then served both in Korea as a fighter pilot and Vietnam as an air wing commander and was my hero. Always had a special place in my heart for the U.K. due to my namesake (even spent 2 months with his family in Warwick during a summer while in graduate school). So, in a way, even when I'm on British soil, I kind of feel at home.

Well we havn't reached any conclusion then, so I'll just get on with my hobby then.

David.

Well David, the obvious conclusion is that there is a vast disparity of opinion on the subject of wearing medals on a holiday cruise. Although there are some exceptions the general tendency seems to be that most Americans are for it and most Brits are against it or have reservations. Even then, it's not an accurate analysis because many posters do not give a location and one has to guess from the gist of their comments. Still, it gives us all something to argue about but in the long run it doesn't really matter - providing they don't wear them in the ballroom! They wouldn't last long in the rock 'n' roll.

Slow Foxtrot

As a side note, I am named after a British soldier that my grandfather became close friends with in WWII. My grandfather was at Normandy and then served both in Korea as a fighter pilot and Vietnam as an air wing commander and was my hero. Always had a special place in my heart for the U.K. due to my namesake (even spent 2 months with his family in Warwick during a summer while in graduate school). So, in a way, even when I'm on British soil, I kind of feel at home.

Doc,

Marc was named after his Uncle who dies in WWII. An honor.

Karie, who never forgets

The Carnival Line threads noted Commonwealth wearing kilts, great for me as to wearing a dress mess uniform. But on Cunard? Who knows.

The overwhelming number on Carnival support wearing dress uniforms.

But good to get some views by the Scots. I did post some rambling as to my Welsh heritage (My Mum) and such. But I promise not to wear a leek on Cunard. :rolleyes:

Suspect few Royal military veterans cruise on Cunard, the pay and pensions are not so great. Even for the Yanks the cost of Dress Blues is very high.

Cunard is what now American owned? But UK flagged.

The reason I like Princess are the UK officers and Engineering gang. SAS security always a plus, add in a Gurka.

A Regimental Kilt is a Formal dress uniform. Even the US Army has made allowances for Kilts and playing Pipes at certain occasions. I need not mention the events.

Sadly or badly we are allies in the War On Terror: Canada, UK, Australia and the US.

Think all has ben said on this.

Good Luck and Bon Voyage

Doc Joe

Archived