Ports of call

We are heading to the western caribbean on the 22nd. I have heard from a co worker who had a sister that just took this cruise and said if we could change our ports of call we should. Due to hurricane Katrina, the ports are not what they should be. Cozumel according to them, had no shopping or anything else. Has anyone heard anything like this or have any recent info for the ports that we will be going to? It won't change our cruising plans but may change our excursions.

Sorry for the sarcasm but was she under a rock?? Cozumel is very close to what it was before except there is no pier at the moment. We still enjoyed it as much, if not more than ever.

Where else do you stop? Grand Cayman is back to buisness as usual. I haven't been to Costa Maya in about a year. Ocho Rios was fine.

I love the Western ports and will tell you what we have done in each. Just let me know where you stop :)

Bobbie

While it is true that Cozumel was hit very hard - I assure you that they have been working night and day to put everything back together again....

Recently (within the last week) they have even had some ships docking again instead of tendering. This is a big step toward getting back to normal.

My MIL/FIL, SIL/her daughter went on Rhapsody end of Feb. and altho they said there were still lots of signs of storm - they had a super time.... and shopped till they ran out of money :eek:

Grand Cayman of course had the big storm in 2004 which also caused major damage. They too still have signs but pretty much back to normal.

Not sure what other ports you will be visiting.... you will have a great time

I am quite the opposite. Give me the sun, sand and a cold Corona and I'm good for a week :)

We just did Ocho Rios for the first time in February. We did the Original Canopy Tour. It was fun and worth the money if you aren't afraid of heights. It took up most of the day. Which was a good thing. We really got our monies (sp?) worth that day....LOL

In Cozumel we usually rent a Jeep and take off for the day. It is really an easy place to "do your own thing". It's my favorite place so far. I LOVE it there. This article had me hooked before I even got there..... http://www.bootsnall.com/namericatravelguides/jul02cozumel.shtml

Last time we just took a taxi to Paradise Beach. Then back to town to do some shopping. They have $1 Coronas and great prices on souveniers in Cozumel. We bought tons of stuff for our four kids for under $50. $1 shot glasses, sand in a bottle, flutes, etc. Mexican blankets were $4 or $5 can't remember. Jose Quervo is really cheap there too. You can even buy ***** over the counter! LOL

Grand Cayman we did the stingrays twice with Nativeway and are booked again for next month. In Feb. we stayed on the ship until 2:00 or so and then headed off to do some shopping. Believe it or not Hard Rock Cafe had shirts cheaper than some of the basic t-shirts in some of the shops.

I love the Western ports. Maybe that's why we keep doing them? :) We leave in a month to do it again and have the Freedom booked for October. It never gets old.....

Bobbie

She probably does live under a rock. That is why I am asking for other input. some people are never happy. We go to Grand Caymen, Cozumel and Ocho Rios.

You found the right place for info. :) CC is awesome.

What ship are you sailing?

When I see your name it reminds me of my twin sister Charlena. She isn't speaking to me at the moment though.... I booked a cruise the week her baby turns one year old. Maybe she will speak to me tomorrow. :(

Wow, you sure do cruise a lot. I will definetely check out the articles. We have been hesitant to make excursions outside of what the cruise ship offers due to recent issues that have been on the news but we will look into them now.

Sorry to hear that. Charlee is actually my 20 month old grand daughter. When my daughter was pregnant with her we discussed cute nick names for girls and Charlee was one we came up with. She didn't like Charlott or Charlene so she decided to just name her Charlee. She is lots of fun and joy for us even at her worst.

I love the name. I think if I ever have another baby and it's a girl. I may just name her that. :)

About our cruises. Well, we are addicted for sure. If I am lucky I will be able to add a few more to this years list. (Fingers crossed).

Ship excursions are fun, but usually a bit more money. The only port I would do my own thing for sure every time is the Stingrays in Grand Cayman. There are just so many reputable companies that charge less and have fewer people on the boats making the experience very personal. Nothing like having a stingray all to yourself ;)

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

Glad you found Cruise Critic! :)

Bobbie

Who do you contact to make your own shore excursions? My daugher is pregnant again with our next grand daughter and with keeping with the name pattern is naming her Taylor. Couldn't have Charlee and Betty.

Wow, you sure do cruise a lot. I will definetely check out the articles. We have been hesitant to make excursions outside of what the cruise ship offers due to recent issues that have been on the news but we will look into them now.

Cozumel and Grand Cayman are two places where you should feel comforable booking non-ship excursions or just going off on your own. For specific suggestions, head over to the Grand Cayman and Cozumel boards, although Bobbie's suggestion of Nativeways in Grand Cayman is a popular one. Paradise Beach is very popular among CruiseCritic posters for just a good beach day in Cozumel.

I was in Cozumel in December only a month after they reopened to cruises after Wilma hit and still managed to have a great time at one of the beach clubs. Yes there is damage, but even then they were doing their best to get everything reopened.

Grand Cayman still has some damage showing as well from Ivan in 2004 - but they are definitely reopened for business and have been for some time.

Sorry, they said hurricane and since that was what we heard most about then I assumed that was the hurrican that did the damage.

It was Wilma that hit Cozumel. Direct hit.

Rita was a near miss on Houston.

Dennis hit Cuba, Haiti and Florida.

Stan went into Mexican north of the Yucatan.

Those were the big ones. Besides those 5 hurricanes, there was Emily (Mexico), Irene (no landfall), Maria (no landfall), Nate (no landfall), Ophelia (went right up the Eastern US coast w/o making landfall), Philippe (no landfall - threatened Bermuda but didn't quite make it), Vince (Spain's first tropical storm ever), and Beta (Nicaragua).

Cruisecritic recently had a "front page" article about the pros and cons of booking cruises through the cruise lines. If you are more comfortable doing so, then there's no reason why you can't continue doing so. I think I book them through the cruise line cause I have so many other things to keep track of and it's easier and convenient.

We were in Cozumel and Costa Maya the end of March. Costa Maya was a very relaxing port with its shops, restaurants, and swimming pool. Cozumel does look beaten up as you approach and see what is left of the docks and some buildings. But there are shops, restaurants, and bars just begging for your business. We finally made it to Panchos Backyard in the Cinco Sole shop...we had some of the best margaritas and Mexican food we have ever had...no room for the $1 beers or the Yucatan food (great stuff). Have a great cruise.

Archived