TA: westbound or eastbound?

Dr65

Is there any advantage weather wise going one way or the other? I mean are the prevailing seas and wind with or against either way or on the beam? I am a pacific coast newbie tempted to try a TA cruise but worried about extreme weather. Thanks for any help. Dr65

My wife and I have done four crossings to date (2 in each direction). Given the speed of the ship the effect of prevailing winds and seas are negligible. With that said if I had to pick one direction I would opt for the westbound (Southampton to New York). Your days will be longer (25 hours instead of the 23 hours going eastbound due to the time changes) and we have found that the crowds on the westbound leg tend to be a bit better mannered. Either way you won't regret it.

We are about to do the crossing both ways this month, so I will be able to compare and let you know when we get back. The prevailing winds are from west to east on the Atlantic - at least off the New England coast. However, there was plenty of wind some days on deck on our eastbound last year, so I am not sure it makes much difference.

We were planning to spend time in England last year so it was nice putting the crossing first (eastbound) because we had more vacation to anticipate while we were on board - sort of added to the excitement of the crossing itself. But it is true you lose an hour each day, which did not effect us much until the end, when it seemed to catch up with us and we fell asleep during the planetarium show.

Either direction, I am sure you will have a great time.

Paul

We are about to do the crossing both ways this month, so I will be able to compare and let you know when we get back. The prevailing winds are from west to east on the Atlantic - at least off the New England coast.

Paul

The prevailing winds are Westerly, or from the West all throughout the north Atlantic (North of the equator- or at least north of maybe the tropic of whichever it is- Due to the Corealis effect) due to the tradewinds. Imagine my surprise on my first cruise, to sit at dinner with a British couple who explained that where they lived on the southwest coast of England, there are Palm trees, due to the tradewinds bringing a little tropical breeze! And think where the hurricanes go after they sweep up the American Eastern coast line. Out to sea and over towards Greenland/ the British Isles, depening on ther track.

Karie,

Who could use some tropical tradewinds about now!

I am a pacific coast newbie tempted to try a TA cruise but worried about extreme weather. Thanks for any help. Dr65

I was very worried about rough weather on the Atlantic before my very first crossing several years ago. I did experience a very extreme storm on a crossing. You have to take precautions to prevent or treat seasickness (if you're so inclined), but otherwise, you survive just fine, and it's even rather exciting. Very romantic.

Chances are, however, you will experience some calm days and perhaps a couple of slightly choppy ones. Or one crossing can be as smooth as glass, and on another you'll run into a rough weather most of the way.

The point is, I'd rather avoid the rough weather, but it wasn't the scary, disastrous experience I had feared.

Archived