Crown and Anchor members

I am wondering what benefits you as travelers have received because of your Crown and Anchor or Captain's Cards membership. We are holding Platinum cards and other than a free wine tasting and some on some board coupons, we did not receive anything. The check in at the piers is not any faster with these cards. We were also never privileged to get a room upgrade - but observed non members having received sizable upgrades.

What are your experiences ?

Curious.

I could not agree more with you!

They tend to treat the newbie like gold figuring they have us hooked.

Anytime there is any kind of sale or special, the membership benefits of a one catagory upgrade do not apply.

They cannot afford to give away the store, but it sure wouldn't hurt for them to at least offer some acknowledgment of previous loyalty.

IMO:

When we were Platinum it was nothing special that we noticed.

Diamond status made a big difference though.

With Diamond we get $200 of a balcony room if the cruise is a 7 night. $100 off if it's a 5 night.

If the ship has a Conceirge Lounge, you have acess to that and the drinks are free from 5:00-8:30 (times vary by ship).

For us the lounge is the selling point. It can really keep that seapass bill down.

I do wish they would give upgrades occasionally based on C&A status. We have yet to recieve an upgrade. Even when we book a guarantee. Oh well. The free drinks are nice :)

We are now Diamond members, as platinum you get a discount on balcony rooms and any thing higher. You get robes, the benefits are all listed on the web site. It is not a lot, but as you start combineing it with other things it all helps. We are sailing on Explorer of the Seas in Nov 3. We booked early, and booked on the ship, we have an aft cabin D1 balcony paid 1109pp for 9 days. We get 300 off for diamond membership, 200 on board credit for booking on the ship, 200 for being an RCCL stock holder and there was a 150 coupon in the Crown & Anchor mag. So in the end the cruise cost 1368 for two. Now at diamond status we get concierge access which gives us cocktails from 5 to 9 daily, among other special services. Seems pretty good to us.

Happy Cruising

Brian J

As 80 year olds we don't plan so much in advance to get all those credits.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject. We are booked on a cruise from Venice to the Greek isles and Croatia and got no booking benefits.

GC

If you booked a balcony, call C&A for your discount.

Be sure to attend the repeater and welcome back parties on board.

I hope when I am 80 I am still cruising..... God Bless you :)

Have you tried the rock wall? We met an 84 year old who got half way up. Pretty cool!

I could not agree more with you!

They tend to treat the newbie like gold figuring they have us hooked.

Anytime there is any kind of sale or special, the membership benefits of a one catagory upgrade do not apply.

They cannot afford to give away the store, but it sure wouldn't hurt for them to at least offer some acknowledgment of previous loyalty.

Actually, I think that they have increased the benefits considerably over the past few years. Everything from balcony discounts, waiver of the custom air fee, coupon books with values that increase as your membership level rises, special C&A parties for Platinum and Diamond members, special amenities in your stateroom, access to the concierge lounge on ships that have them, bridge tours, galley tours, and even, in some instances, free upgrades are all things RCI has given to us as loyal cruisers. Most recently, we, as Diamond Plus members, received an invitation to a two night cruise on Freedom of the Seas out of Boston next month. Sounds to me like they value our loyalty and have shown their appreciation pretty well.

We are diamond members and it helped us get the table we wanted for dinner along with the seating. We were told there was a wait list and as soon as they found out we were diamond BINGO we had the table and seating we asked for. Besides the other perks mentioned we got two priority tender stickers to be first off the ship behind any tours that have top priority so no standing in line for the tender tickets. We also got the usual gifts in cabin we have before as Platinum. Fanny packs, beach totes and such. We also got to nominate an employee of the cruise for the Commanders Club. Diamond and Diamond plus get to do this seperate from the usual guest survey. You nominate any crew member you felt was exceptional and explained why...we nominated the head waiter on the Splendour...his name is Hans and he was awesome!

One thing I agree about is how often first-time cruisers comment that they got the always rare free upgrades, while those of us who are C&A members (but not D+) often have never received an upgrade of any kind. Mind you, I think it's great when people are upgraded, but I think it's fair to say that RCI does have a bit of a mindset that they've "got" us, so no need to "give" us those upgrades--better to give them to first time cruisers. I realize RCI can do whatever they want and feel is best for the bottom line, but it is enough to make you think "hm..." sometimes. It's one of the reasons that we are not wedded to any particular line.

beachchick

Gots me a nice collection of dem der tote bags.

Seriously it just does not matter to me. I have used my discounts and that was nice but there is not really enough to keep me loyal but familiarity. I saild RCI because I know RCI.

We are now Diamond members, as platinum you get a discount on balcony rooms and any thing higher. You get robes, the benefits are all listed on the web site. It is not a lot, but as you start combineing it with other things it all helps. We are sailing on Explorer of the Seas in Nov 3. We booked early, and booked on the ship, we have an aft cabin D1 balcony paid 1109pp for 9 days. We get 300 off for diamond membership, 200 on board credit for booking on the ship, 200 for being an RCCL stock holder and there was a 150 coupon in the Crown & Anchor mag. So in the end the cruise cost 1368 for two. Now at diamond status we get concierge access which gives us cocktails from 5 to 9 daily, among other special services. Seems pretty good to us.

Happy Cruising

Brian J

Holy Moly... I need you to book my next cruise!!

~Jen

It is not that we want special privileges as 80 years olds, but when

I inquired about the $50.00 senior discount which they adversited I was told - "not with this trip". Our bill comes pretty high as a family of 6, sailing from Venice to Venice. You'd think that a $100.00 discount is not much to give loyal customers.

By the way, did you know they also charge $75.00 etra per person if you request an isle seat?

Crusing has changed.

Senior discounts are not offered on all sailings. Did you, perhaps, misread the ad mentioning them? If not, have your TA pursue the matter further. I am not sure who is charging you an extra $75 for an aisle seat, the cruiseline or the airline? I know that Northwest Airlines recently announced that they would charge extra (I don't believe it was as much as $75) for aisle seats and other preferred seating locations. If you are talking about the custom air fee that cruiselines charges if you want to select a particular airline or particular flight, that has nothing to do with seat selection. You, or your travel agent, should contact the airline directly about seat assignments as the cruiseline merely purchases seats on the flight and does not make seating assignments. Once you are a platinum C&A member the custom air fee will be waived by RCI.

One thing I agree about is how often first-time cruisers comment that they got the always rare free upgrades, while those of us who are C&A members (but not D+) often have never received an upgrade of any kind. Mind you, I think it's great when people are upgraded, but I think it's fair to say that RCI does have a bit of a mindset that they've "got" us, so no need to "give" us those upgrades--better to give them to first time cruisers. I realize RCI can do whatever they want and feel is best for the bottom line, but it is enough to make you think "hm..." sometimes. It's one of the reasons that we are not wedded to any particular line.

beachchick

We're Diamond on RCI and have always had great cruises. We have never gotten a free upgrade and I have never even thought about it. That being said, I'm about to go on my 1st Carnival cruise. I bought an inside guaranteed cabin. My wife has been on Carnival twice and said I should call them back and tell them that so she could get credit for the cruise for their version of the C&A. When I called back, the Carnival agent found her name and they upgraded us to their top outside cabin category AND knocked $10 each off the total price.

This is not a commercial for Carnival, I plan on going on RCI many more times in the future (this was an isolated incident and we really enjoy the Diamond perks) but I'm just questioning why Carnival would do this and RCI doesn't (at least with us).

Tim

Reply to negc - - when we called RCI to inquire about our planned cruise were told that we'd get a $50.00 discount. Then when we booked with the Travel agent we were told it did not apply to our trip, it was a clerical error.

We will also have to pay $75.00 each if we want an isle seat PLUS possible additional airfare costs. (it does also state so in the cruise planner for Europe.) We are Platinum members - close to gold and nothing was waived. We booked everything throu Royal Caribbean.

Reply to negc - - when we called RCI to inquire about our planned cruise were told that we'd get a $50.00 discount. Then when we booked with the Travel agent we were told it did not apply to our trip, it was a clerical error.

We will also have to pay $75.00 each if we want an isle seat PLUS possible additional airfare costs. (it does also state so in the cruise planner for Europe.) We are Platinum members - close to gold and nothing was waived. We booked everything throu Royal Caribbean.

It sounds like your TA isn't telling you things straight. Royal Caribbean does not book your seat assignment that is up to your TA after your flights are booked. The $75 plus additional airfare costs sounds like the air deviation fee which is charged when you choose your own flights not your seat assignment. The $75 should be waived if you are a Platinum member. Have you told your TA to call the Crown and Anchor desk to get that applied?

You keep saying your booked everything through Royal Caribbean but now are booked through a TA. If you have a TA handling this reservation at all, then you need to call your TA. If not, then you need to call the Crown and Anchor desk to get your discounts applied.

WRP96 - - - - thanks for your info. To clarify - - We eventually booked through a TA since this is prefered by RCI.

We were at the TA while she made arrangements with RCI for the European cruise, flight, hotel stay and Insurance. She passed on our card number and that is the info she received when we asked if we could request isle seats.

Since there is a possibility of additional air fare costs, we declined. I realize that seat arrangements will be made around the time of departure, nevertheless those charges would apply.

We are Platinum members. Perhaps I will call RCI myself. We are not too pleased with this TA -

Call RCI's Crown and Anchor number and they should be able to help you. You may be right to question the performance of your TA since the answers you are getting don't add up. It could well be that there was erroneous information regarding whether or not your sailing qualified for a senior discount, but, as a platinum C&A member, your air deviation fee should have been waived, and as I stated before, your airline seat assignments should be made directly between your TA or you and the airline with RCI having no role in what seats on the plane you are assigned. We have used RCI airfare many times and we have always had to deal directly with the airline when selecting our seats. There are instances when the airfare for the flight you request is more than what RCI is paying and in such instances you would be charged the difference, but they would tell you that and you would then have the options of paying the difference,making flight arrangements on your own, or accepting the flights that RCI offers. Are you sure that wasn't the extra $75 they were talking about? A good TA could and would have handled all of this for you. Good luck.:)

as my emails read that list my air for cruises I booked with air:

"be sure to call your airline to arrange seat assignment, as we do not do that, thank you RCCL"

It sounds like your TA isn't telling you things straight. Royal Caribbean does not book your seat assignment that is up to your TA after your flights are booked. The $75 plus additional airfare costs sounds like the air deviation fee which is charged when you choose your own flights not your seat assignment. The $75 should be waived if you are a Platinum member. Have you told your TA to call the Crown and Anchor desk to get that applied?

You keep saying your booked everything through Royal Caribbean but now are booked through a TA. If you have a TA handling this reservation at all, then you need to call your TA. If not, then you need to call the Crown and Anchor desk to get your discounts applied.

WRP96 - - - - thanks for your info. To clarify - - We eventually booked through a TA since this is prefered by RCI.

We were at the TA while she made arrangements with RCI for the European cruise, flight, hotel stay and Insurance. She passed on our card number and that is the info she received when we asked if we could request isle seats.

Since there is a possibility of additional air fare costs, we declined. I realize that seat arrangements will be made around the time of departure, nevertheless those charges would apply.

We are Platinum members. Perhaps I will call RCI myself. We are not too pleased with this TA -

I would definitely call the C&A desk on Monday but since you gave this reservation to a TA they may not be able to help you. I would recommend not using this TA again.

Unless your TA chose specific flights for you, there should be no extra charges. So you need to question why your TA is saying you will be charged $75 for aisle seats, if you declined choosing your own flights. Getting a seat assignment doesn't cost any extra unless you are flying Northwest Airlines which charges for certain popular seats.

Archived