The Best Layed Plans...

custompcsys

Most, if not all of us on CC, plan our cruises far in advance. We research every little detail, ask our questions, micro-manage with the best of them...We work out our cruise, our cabin, tranfers, transportation to and from the port, shore excursions, hotels, and everything that goes with it like the conductors of a huge orchestra. Yet somehow, some way, despite our best efforts, Mr. Murphy seems to step in when we least expect it.

So far, the cruise I started planning 10 months ago has seen the cruise ship I am going on have a major fire (which fortunately had an outcome that was not anywhere near as bad as it could have been), and the airline whose FF miles I am using and has part of my return trip in their hands has the threat of a pilots's strike looming. I got so depressed this week I had to go out and book another cruise for next year, just to keep my sanity! I'm almost afraid to see what's in store next! :rolleyes:

PLEASE make me feel better and tell me I'm not the only one whose had crazy stuff like this happen! :cool: There's got to be other stories out there :)

Cheer up Custompcsys!

My story does not include a cruise, but does include 2 hurricanes, a tropical storm and my wedding. Let's just say that after all of them we had to plan our reception in a disaster zone in under 3 weeks. Stressful, but it did prove that we could handle being married. Everything worked out and we have been married for 10 years. We even finally took our honeymoon last December. :)

Oh and of course we booked a Panama Canal cruise this morning so all is WONDERFUL in our world! :) In a fit of irony we got the credit card bill today for the last cruise, which included the future cruise credit we used in our booking this morning. Not quite as good as having 2 cruises booked at once, but it is the closest we have ever gotten.

I had a very similar experience as I booked a Mediterranean Cruise on the QM2s Princess Grill. I too micromanaged and planned like the conductor of an orchestra as you described. In my head, I kept envisioning the first moment of boarding the great ocean liner...

And then....

They messed up a pod, and of the dozens of voyages in 2006, they chose the one I booked to cancel to put it in dry dock for repairs! I was devestated....

Until...

I discovered the Golden Princess, though perhaps not as glamarous as the QM2, had a better itinerary to the Mediterranean with a transatlantic thrown in...

And for the price of a 300 square foot Junior Suite for a 12 day voyage, I booked a 1300 square foot suite for the same price!

I felt better.

To Custompcsys,

We may be booked on the same Star itinerary....which may or may not sail on June4th....more important however for us is to enjoy the journey. Transportation is always an "iffy" proposition under the best of circumstances. Planning is fun, but remember to enjoy the moment as well. There is an ancient proverb that reminds us that we should plan as if we were going to live forever, yet live each day as if we were going to gone tomorrow.

Also we try to live by the following: yesterday is a memory, tomorrow is a promise....but today is a gift, and that's why we call it the present!

So let's plan like we're going, enjoy the planning...and if it falls through, let's all go to the Amalfi Coast in Italy, and stopover in Venice on our way back to the states.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy

Choices

Talk about the best laid plans. My hubby and I had never taken a cruise. We always said next year next year. We were raising the kids and money was tight. Well the kids got married, moved out and then for a few years we were trying to build a nest egg. Again next year next year. Well, my sister finally conviced us to take that cruise with them. We booked and were so excited. 6 weeks before the cruise hubby had a heart attack. We didn't know until the day before the cruise if the doctor would let him go. The doctor gave him the go ahead but it was a very quiet cruise for us. A lot of r & r for hubby. 15 months later we booked a 10 day cruise to the Southern Caribbean. We figured we would do it up nice (balcony et al) due to the first cruise being a quiet one. Well 7 weeks before the cruise, hubby had chest pains and ended up with open heart surgery. We did get to go on that one too, and again it was days before the cruise before the doctor gave the go ahead. Again it was a very very quiet cruise. We have since been on many other cruises with no problems. Always had cruise insurance but never had to use it. Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today. Tomorrow almost didn't come for us. We are now spending the kids inheritance. Have a great day.

Linda & Tom

Archived