HELP! On Carnival, Can you give the Counselors juice boxes...

thequotegal

and other little snacks like boxes of raisins in your child's diaper bag and be assurred they will actually give them to your child if he/she is hungry/thirsty?? Also, how patient are they if your child cries when you first leave but eventually calms down?? Do they page you right back or do they give them a "chance" to settle? Also...what if your child is a biter or a hitter? We are talking a two year old here...and we'll be on the Carnival SPIRIT THIS SUNDAY!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!

I think I answered some of yuor questions on the Carnival board...we've never taken snacks. I'm not sure what their policy is. I believe they have juice, water and snacks available.

I've seen some kids who were not too happy at first. The counselors seem very capable of engaging and distracting them.

As to biters/hitters, the back of the camp capers details a discipline procedure which includes warnings. The only experience I've had with it was as follows:

On our first cruise, there was a girl of about 5 with down's syndrome. DD was 25 months. Apparently, there were several incidents of aggressive behavior, culminating in a scene whereby this other girl got hold of DD's hair, and it took three counselors to pry her away. I was informed of the incidents, and after the last asked if I wanted to ask that the other child be removed from camp (I fail to believe it would have been my decision alone which would have been the determining factor, but that's how it was presented to me.) I asked the counselors if DD seemed particularly upset by the incident or reluctant to join in activities, etc. They said she seemed remarkably fine (factor in she has a big brother.) I have to be honest with you, and tell you I just didn't have the heart to make a big deal out of it. For whatever reason, there were no further incidents, and both girls continued to use and enjoy the camp.

I have found the counselors to be wonderful, caring and even-handed.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you so much for such a detailed reply! I am keeping my fingers crossed it works (just a little while) for us. My 2.5 year old has scensory integration disorder and sometimes does things "a little too hard" also. Time will tell...leaving tomorrow!!

Thanks again!

Stephanie

You're very welcome.

I hope you noted somewhere where I said the meeting and disco party helps us a lot, in that the kids get to know the counselors and interact with the other kids, with you in the wings. Makes the first drop-off less anxiety-ridden!

Also, I always tell the kids that camp is a priviledge and not a right. If they want to go, they have to be on best behavior. Just suggesting that it's something I might not allow them to do seems to have the instant effect of making it something they very much want to do!

Hope you have a GREAT camp expereince, and enjoy your cruise!

Archived