Mariner vs Magic ??

:confused: Looking for some advice from those who have sailed both Disney and Voyager class ships. We (DH 43, DW 42, DD 9 and DS 7) are booked for the 7 day Magic on Oct 15. We have sailed her 3 previous times and love her. However, we are thinking of trying something different. DW and myself sailed RCI many moons ago (Monarch and Majesty) and had a great time. Kids club, lots of family activities are important to us. We were thinking of the Mariner for Oct 15. Thanks for your help.

Skip

We've sailed DCL 3 times and RCCL 2 times, the Mariner was our latest cruise in August 05. My kids are now 14 & 12 and prefer the Mariner because of all the acitivities like rockclimbing, rollerblading, ice skating etc. However as a parent I prefer the kids club on DCL. There were many more organized activities on DCL. On the Mariner, I felt that my kids were generally unsupervised at the club. I had to keep going back to check on them and often found the whole group outside of the club.

Now, I do recognize that my kids are getting older and that it's been a few years since our last DCL cruise but your kids are still at a great age to enjoy the organized activities of DCL. I would recommend one or two more DCLs before hitting RCCL.

OK2Cruise...I have been on the Mariner and the Magic, with the Magic being my last cruise. I agree with MEGADAN. Your children are still at the age that I think DCL would be the better choice. The atmosphere is just so much better for children on DCL. Although, I loved both ships, the Mariner didn't have the magic of Disney. My children are 17, 15, 13, and 10 and loved DCL both times we sailed with them!!!:)

if you are a sucker for advertisments, go on disney.

Adventure Ocean is on par with DCL, from what i've read on these boards. Some people like RCCL better, some people like DCL better.

Organized activities DO EXIST for your kids on RCCL, and Mariner has great (and i mean great) facilities for them, probably better than what disney has.

Mariner will blow you away, the Promeande, the size, the facilities, you will never go back to DCL. (unless you enjoy mickey mouse waking up with you in bed)

I was probably 7 or 8 when I first went on RCCL. trust me, i had no desire to go on Disney.

The Mariner is something else, I admit!!! DCL is just in a class all by itself!!! If you haven't tried Disney yet, give it a try. You will be pleasantly surprised!!! I would go on DCL with just my hubby!!! Our children would be heartbroken if we did, so I will stick to other lines when we leave them with grandparents!!!:D

I think this is a *very* tough call...... especially with the ages of your kids... as I think they are on the border of really enjoying the Disney Magic vs. the activities on the Mariner.

I sailed on the Magic with my daughter and son.... they were slightly older than your children and it was during school vacation week (ie. *HUGE* numbers of kids...).

Pros for Disney:

Beautiful ship! A classic beauty in perfect condition. Meticulously maintained (as was the RCCL Mariner).

The production shows... really outstanding... like other disney productions, perfect for kids.. with a few adult moments tossed in.

The Food (usually a mild complaint on Disney) was really excellent. Regular meals in the dining rooms were slightly better than RCCL, and the specialty restaurants were both quite excellent, with a *slight" nod to Chops over Palo's (not enough to worry about!).

Castaway Cay..... Really, really nice beach day.

Cons for Disney:

Price. No way getting around it.... Disney is charging absolute premium prices for a mainstream cruise experience. We sailed in a Cat 4 balcony stateroom on the Magic with 2 adults and 2 children and paid only slightly more than for a Grand suite (much larger room with concierge service) with 2 adults and *3* children (the two now even older ones and an almost two year old) several years later. A Cat 4 for the same week would have been about 40% more $$$$ than the Mariner. If you want to sail Carnival (which I have.... with and without the kids) it's even much cheaper.... but a different experience as well.

Crowds (and I mean *crowds*) of kids.... at least during vacation weeks.... you mentioned Oct 15th... and that's totally different from April vacation. When we sailed... the mickey and goofy pools were just wall to wall kids... and of course... not all parents are vigilant in making sure their kids are behaving well... so there was of rough housing....

RCCL Mariner: Cruised the same april vacation week.... with my almost 2 year old! Making it a bit of a different experience!

Pros: Activities. My older kids (12 and 10 at the time) *loved* the variety of activities.... especially.... the rock climbing, skating and mini-golf (my 2-yr old liked this as well!)

The pool area was *much* MUCH more enjoyable (probably a combination of good design and fewer numbers of kids). They never felt crowded at all and my 2 yr old enjoyed playing near the pools.. and showers.. and getting splashed... without getting into the pools (In swimmy diapers but not potty trained at the time).

Cons: The ship does feel a bit cramped sometimes. Most notably?? In the Windjammer.... the lines are pretty well organized, but finding seats (especially for 2 adults and 3 kids) can be tough. Plus... not much outside seating near the buffet! We always got a table outide on the deck on disney... wher Mariner had like 3 tables on either side of the ship.

The imigration line to debark the ship in St Thomas.... picture a conga line that stretches from one end of the prominade to the other... and moves very slowy! Not much fun with a 2 year old!

You'll miss the disney atmosphere (*IF* that's what you're really looking for).

Hmmm... I've rambled on enough! I'd be glad to answer any specific questions if you have them!

Cheers....

Gusman

TrueBlueTory: I noticed that you stated RCL was on par with Disney but I don't see you listing a prior sailing on a Disney ship?????? The Disney children's program is far superior to any other cruiseline in the water. That is one of Disney's greatest strengths - how to please kids. I agree with the other posters that you should do Disney and worry about RCL when your kids are older. No matter what ship you cruise, you will all have a good time. But, Disney is a forerunner in family entertainment. Yes, it costs more, but there are many things that add to the Disney cruise experience that other ships are lacking. Just my opinion.........

It all boils down to whether your kids eyes still light up when they see Mickey Mouse, in my opinion. There are characters everywhere on DCL and even dinner emphasizes the kids (in all of us). If you want a more traditional cruise dinner, and more bells and whistles, Mariner would fit you better. That's what it is all about, choosing a cruise line that fits your style!

Personally, in October, I would also look at Celebrity and Holland America. We sailed the Maasdam last year, and experienced the best service and food of any cruise. Whatever you choose, be safe and have a great time!

Just off Mariner and have sailed Disney 5 times in last 4 years and Mariner 2 times. I have 3 children with the youngest being 8. My 8 yr. old loved both ships every time and will spend every waking moment in the kids clubs. From a parent standpoint the major difference between the two is that Disney clubs are open from sun up to sun down, never closing. You don't have to worry about checking your watch. On Mariner the clubs close daily from 12 to 2 and again at 5 till 7. The only time your child can stay with the club during dinner (at Johnny Rockets) is day 2,4,6 and remember to sign up. You also pay extra $5.00/hr after 10PM on Mariner. In both clubs I think they have pretty structured days with activities planned all the time. I also have teens and they pretty much "hang out" with some planned activities and have to say they like the Mariner better but both are good for the younger kids.

My family went on the Magic November 2004. It was an amazing cruise and I cannot wait to go on before my kids are too old to enjoy it. The children's program was wonderful! Our DS - (8 at the time) went into the club at noon one day and when we went to check on him at dinner time, he didn't want to leave. Same after dinner. Finally we went in to pick him up at midnight - he still did not want to leave. We almost had to drag him out. :D

We decided to surprise my parents with a 50th anniversary cruise (they know we are going but not some extended family). I put out feelers for DCL and no interest. Most of the other guests are over 18. We are going on the Mariner instead. I am not disappointed by the Mariner choice but I am a little nervous that the kids may not stay as involved in the clubs which means less adult time. My kids are 12, 10 and 8. So I too have concerns and could use some pointers. :) Thanks!!

If kids club is important, do DCL. My daughter did not like the kids club on the Navigator when she was 8. But she is also an only child and likes to spend time with Mom & Dad and the other family that travels with us.

We have sailed Disney 5 times and love her. We have sailed RCCL 5 times and enjoy it very much also. Each is very different, the kids club on the Disney ships can't be matched (yes, even the voyager class ships). But with that being said I enjoy some of the adult activites more on the RCCL ships. Another thing that Disney is tops with is their private island "Castaway Cay", it is wonderful, others can't compare.

TrueBlueTory: I noticed that you stated RCL was on par with Disney but I don't see you listing a prior sailing on a Disney ship??????

I stated that is from what I have read on these boards. I have never been on a Disney ship.

However, Mariner (and Navigator) have the best Adventure Ocean facilities in the RCCL fleet. I don't know disney, but i think the size of the AO area on MAriner is probably bigger than on disney's ships.

For the most part, i'm pretty sure the activities are close. Some people give Disney the nod over RCCL, others give RCCL the nod over DCL.

I say try Mariner. Theres always next time :P

I noticed somebody else suggested Celebrity. Personal experience, the kids club staff too formal, the staff don't get into it like they do on RCCL (and I assume disney).

Archived