Family on transatlantic crossing?

aearly

So I am considering taking my family of 5 people total on a transatlantic crossing this summer. All of my cruising experience lies within Royal Caribbean (and a little Carnival). In all honesty, I am looking for a classier, more upscale experience.

My group would consist of two younger adults (45 and 37), a ninteen year old, and two 14 year olds.

To tell you off the bad, the kids in the group would never be participating in any childrens programs as it is not 'their thing' and the ninteen year old will be thrilled from being on this ship in the first place; he actually may be going to work as an intern with the Cunard corporate headquarters this summer.

My major concern is as follows... will this group fit in and have a comfortable trip on the QM2 crossing the atlantic in July? What is the median age? We do not want to be the youngest people onboard the ship, yet do not wanted to be surrounded by a bunch of drunk maniacs.

Thanks for your advice.

aearly

My major concern is as follows... will this group fit in and have a comfortable trip on the QM2 crossing the atlantic in July? What is the median age? We do not want to be the youngest people onboard the ship, yet do not wanted to be surrounded by a bunch of drunk maniacs.

Thanks for your advice.

aearly

"Drunk maniacs"?? - we didn't see any of those. There were all ages aboard, ranging from babies to 80s and a few dogs and one cat, quite different from a cruise. I would say you will be ok, but the only way to know is to go.

David.

I think you'll do fine. I think the QM2 is one of those ships that everyone wants to try out and thus the ages range all over the place. Yet it caters to the higher end of the mass market lines so I don't think "drunk maniacs" are known for being Cunarders - I think you can find those trying to pick up playmates over on Carnival or RCI where the partying is!

If your eldest is planning on being on an intern with Cunard I tend to agree with you and think he would absolutely enjoy trying out their flagship. I think even the younger ones can have fun without organized teen clubs.

I can't answer with any certainty as my first Cunard trip isn't until later this year but I think age is not an issue with the QM2. I say go for it as it sounds like the lifestyle you are looking for as long as you don't mind dressing up.

There is PLENTY to do onboard for the ages you mention without the 'teen' group things.

The plantatarium has like 4 different shows, there are many many interesting lectures and movies and things to do on deck (basketball and such).

The only thing I would 'warn' about is the interet access. I know some cruise lines (Disney) have a computer 'pass' that you can buy for the whole time (like $75 for unlimited access for the cruise). Cunard does not currently have such a feature and charge by the 30 minute bundle of access. Should one of the kids decide to surf one afternoon you may get a several hundred $$ bill! I would strongly limit the internet!

Archived