Prepaid Cell Phone Coverage in Alaska?

tempoct

Hi,

I'm buying a cell phone for my friend who will be visiting from aboard and will cruise with us. So, I already got a T-Mobile To Go as my spare phone and sim card. Does it work in Alaska? According to their site, it might not.

If not, what is my option?

Thanks,

tempoct

If the cell phone provider doesn't have satellite or tower service into Alaska, there is nothing you can do but look at another provider that has. In the panhandle usually Juneau and Skagway (perhaps Ketchikan) have local service only. The mountains and low population density, make the balance of the area unserviceable. Larger interior cities will have some overlapping regions, but again, remote areas are not covered. Go into a phone outlet center and they usually have a large map which will have their service reception area highlighted.

Service coverage of prepaid and contract phone are different. Most prepaid converage is for their own towers only while contract phone usually get "partner" towers when we go in different region. The roaming fee will be waived if you have the right plan.

The reason I'm asking here is, I found out that there's no coverage for T-Mobile in Alaska but just wanna make sure. I have an unlock spare phone so I wonder if I can buy simcard up there and use local service. I don't know what prepaid plan they have up there. The only I see if something from Cellular One (EVO?) but wanna know if there's any other option and some user experience with them.

I was up there last year, with stops in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. At the time I was in the middle of changing prepaid providers, so I had both an old Cingular/AT&T phone (TDMA) and a newer Tracfone (CDMA). I was pleasantly surprised by the coverage; my recollection is that both worked in Juneau and Ketchikan, and maybe even right downtown in Skagway. I think both were roaming, which increases the cost. I remember looking for info before the trip last year, and my recollection is that I discovered that much of Alaska still uses TDMA technology, with some newer CDMA technology, and very little GSM. But don't quote me on that... it's a vague recollection.

Doug

Thanks everyone for the info. To be clear, maybe I should ask this question.

What's prepaid service I can buy and will have coverage in Alaska?

Tracfone? According to the info here, GSM is not a good choice (i.e. Cellular One EVO is no good, Cingular GSM is no good, T-Mobile is no good).

Thanks everyone for the info. To be clear, maybe I should ask this question.

What's prepaid service I can buy and will have coverage in Alaska?

Tracfone? According to the info here, GSM is not a good choice (i.e. Cellular One EVO is no good, Cingular GSM is no good, T-Mobile is no good).

I think Tracfone may be your best bet -- but you need to make sure you get a TDMA or CDMA phone, not GSM. Tracfone has all three types of technology, and does not label them clearly; you have to check what phone they're offering, and look up the specs elsewhere. Tracfone has agreements with many carriers -- they're really just a reseller of minutes, without any network of their own -- so you're likely to get reasonable coverage in Alaska if there's any carrier using the technology you have. As I mentioned before, my recollection from last year is that coverage on a CDMA Tracfone existed at least in Ketchikan and Juneau, and I think it did in the heart of Skagway as well. But I have to warn you that I might be confusing it with my old TDMA Cingular/AT&T phone. Sorry I can't be more accurate; the brain cells just aren't there any more -- but as best as I can recall, both phones had coverage in the core port stops.

Doug

Archived