Hangers and Irons

h2obaby

I am new to Princess and leave in six days (woo-hoo:D ) and wonder if I will need to bring extra hangers. We are in a mini-suite and I am hoping there will be enough (am a light packer, but like to hang most things). Will there be an iron or steamer in the laundry room to touch up wrinkles?

Thank you for your help,

Debbie

You are on a cruise .. on a vacation!

Forget the little details!

Your cabin steward will bring more hangers should you need them. Be certain to ask if you need special hangers for like skirts or such.

USE THE DRY CLEANING SERVICE!!!! They have a 'pressing only' option that is less cost than laundry/dry cleaning .. Why consider finding the laundry room, possibly waiting in line, then using an unfamiliar iron that might be dirty or too hot for your garment ... it is not worth it!

I unpack the minute my luggage arrives in the cabin. Usually middle-unpack the Steward arrives to introduce him/herself and I let them know I will call and give them some laundry very soon. By doing so (that very first day) normally you do not pay for same-day service to get it back the next day as you are doing overnight service. I tend to always have my tux(s) pressed and the shirts laundered and starched so they are perfect.

The cost is just something to me that is part of the cruise.. like the soda card or a few drinks!

BTW .. travel irons (and curling irons and possibly steamers) are technically not allowed in cabins due to potential of them creating a fire.

AND I have heard from other cruisers that they have damaged their garments with the laundry room irons being too hot or having some 'junk' on them from other people. Plus starch is not really available! Yes any laundry (shipboard or landside) can ruin/scorch a garment .. but then is it not your fault (possible claim?).

ENJOY the cruise and do not worry about those small little details!

Sorry, incorrect info....curling irons are allowed.

I guess in thinking they ARE allowed .. just that my mother refused to take hers along after burning her hair and scalp with one on a cruise a bunch of years ago.... not sure if she had it plugged in incorrectly (like a 220) or what. Just a 'family' rule that they were not allowed!

The biggest trouble in most cabins is the LACK of outlets for various things. Many people take along a power strip because of this.

===================================================

And since the OP was actually asking about taking wrinkles out of clothes .. why not try the bachelor business traveler technique?

Put the items on separate hangers .. in the bathroom. Turn the shower on HOT HOT HOT (closing the curtain to not spray the clothes) .. close the bathroom door. The humidity will take wrinkles out of suits I know .. but not starched shirts! Leave the hot water running for a while .. then turn it off and leave the door closed while the wrinkles disappear!

This was my 'standard practice' when I started business traveling many years ago .. now most middle to upscale hotels have irons and boards .. but I am wary of using some irons as they have been dirty in the past .. so I start on the back of a shirt first!

Now in the civilized UK (and elsewhere) they have pants presses in the rooms!

Try Downy Wrinkle Release . . . we can't get it here in Canada but I always stock up when I am in the states. I always iron my items before I pack but there are still the folds and wrinkles that you get from packing . . . a few squirts, a tug or two and the fold/wrinkles are gone even on my silk - has never stained a thing.

My friend and I, packrats both, found the hangers more than ample. Also, there are nice, deep shelves in the dressing room for folded clothes, as well as drawer space aplenty. Irons, are, as has been previously said, not allowed. I suspect steamers would fall into the same catagory, as they get so hot.

The biggest thing is to relax. Remember you, and everyone else, are on vacation!!! No one is going to look at you and think,"Wow! Are her clothes wrinkled!" :) If you are heading to the Carribean, believe me, the heat and humidity will take care of wrinkles. If not, who cares? Relax!

Try Downy Wrinkle Release . . . we can't get it here in Canada but I always stock up when I am in the states. I always iron my items before I pack but there are still the folds and wrinkles that you get from packing . . . a few squirts, a tug or two and the fold/wrinkles are gone even on my silk - has never stained a thing.

Downy Wrinkle Release is getting hard to find in the U.S. also. If you google it, you will come up with the Downy site and can purchase it there.

Downy Wrinkle Release is getting hard to find in the U.S. also. If you google it, you will come up with the Downy site and can purchase it there.

We were just down in Houston and found plenty of it - bought 2 refill bottles (let me tell you that my husband was very impressed to take them in our carryon :D ). Someone said the places to try were Target, Walmart, etc. because the grocery stores didn't seem to carry it.

Hangers, personally if I am going on a 7 day or more cruise I need more hangers (like to hang everything) but just ask your room stewart.

Thanks for your tips, everyone. Think I will look for the wrinkle relief stuff, but hope it comes in a small container. If it means packing fewer shoes, I might have to rethink my priorities;) !

Debbie

Lots of hangers on board. If you need more they are a short call/page away.

To save space I either fold or roll when I pack and hang things up as soon as I get my luggage.

There are a few things that I will pack in a suiter on a hangers. To save space and weight I use the disposable type hangers from the dry cleaners.

I always keep a few "hanging" around (pun intended) just for traveling purposes. :)

Just disembarked from the Sapphire Princess yesterday. Have no fear, there are plenty of hangers in the mini suites. There are laundry rooms everywhere and each has 4 irons. Timing is important as you get further in the cruise. The laundry rooms are empty on the first night but by the forth night there's a line to use something.

Archived