ROLL CALL Navigator of the Seas 09/02/06

Herenks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am still going, just got back from another cruise, so I wasn't paying attention to this thread. I went on a cruise last september. It was fine, no hurricanes. Just get insurance and we should all be okay. Tell me about yourself. My bf and are are cruising with another gay couple. So I guess that means six of us. What floor are you on? What seating at dinner?

Well I'm glad to see they'll be a few other couples there! I ended up getting the insurance through Royal Caribbean when I booked. Plus... I live in Miami, so even if the cruise gets delayed or worse... cancelled... I'm already home.

I ended up booking an Owner's Suite on Deck 10... I figured since this was my first cruise, I had better get a nice suite in the event I don't like cruising and need somewhere to hide! (just joking) We have the late dinner seating since that was all that was available when I booked, but at the same time, we usually eat late so it fits our normal schedule.

So I have to ask... have you done the western caribbean before? We decided to do a cruise more or less as a relaxing "vege-out" type of vacation as opposed to something in Europe or involving heavy sightseeing. We haven't decided on shore excursions yet... but I have a couple in mind. Have you picked yours yet or playing it by ear. The only place I'm a bit concerned about is Jamaica since I hear it's one of the least gay friendly island.

By the way, I'm Paul and my partner is Arnoldo. Seeing as you've cruised before... if you have any words of advice or wisdom, I'd be glad to hear them!

Wow, sounds like a nice room. You're 26 and you can afford that? I am down on the ghetto deck, 6. We got a balcony. RCCL isn't as veg out a vacation as some other lines. There are plenty of things to do on the boat. I have been on a few Rccl cruise, including the western caribbean about 10 years ago.

I was planning on doing the Dunn's River Falls thing in Jamaica (I couldn't do that when I was there before). I think my bf and I are going to do scuba diving in the Caymans and maybe Mexico. I have done the Tulum trip and it was a lot of fun. It was a very long day though. It seemed to take forever to get there. When I went, the boat provided the box lunch. I think it was a ham sandwich.

Do you mind if I ask what you do? There were no main seating times available? Wow.

Ok... well since there's a good chance we'll run into each other... I'll spoil the surprise for you now. I'm 26 (well 27 in July), but my bf is a bit older (sshh... I know what you're thinking). We actually own a yacht charter company together here in Miami. I know... why go on a cruise if you can go on your own boat?! Like I tell everyone, no matter how good/fun/exciting your career is... it's just that, your career.

I'm thinking about doing Dunn River Falls too, but possibly the 2-man sub in the Caymans (partly because I haven't done a recent scuba dive in a while). Mexico will probably be the Tulum trip... partly because (even after living in Miami for 9 years), I'm pasty white and don't last too long on a beach before I turn bright red!

Overall though, I'm really looking forward to it. I've never heard anyone (that I personally know) say they had a bad experience, well except for another gay couple who took a quick 3-day on one of the older Carnival ships out of Miami. Keep in mind, I just booked the cruise a few weeks ago, so that's probably why the main seating was booked out. I'm not worried though... I'm sure we'll try both Portofino's and Chops... it should be interesting!

How much older?! hehe. Well I guess the main seating will be very popular. My brother did the two man submarine and loved it, but book before you go. Space is very limited on that excursion.

The bf is 50 and believe it or not, we've been together for 8 years... which in the world of gay men is equivalent to what... 25 years? hehe So that in itself creates a unique dynamic in the activities we do... not to mention it confuses people to no end... oh well! HAHA

actually, we went to south beach last year before our cruise. i wasn't impressed. and we will be going there again this year before the cruise. of course, this year, we will be getting in late since i can't take off extra days from work.

so what does your room on the cruise look like? we just have a plain room since we usually aren't there except for sleeping and showering.

ouch... you're the second person to tell me they didn't like South Beach... that hurts! hehe (I'm partial since I live on South Beach). I'm curious though, what didn't you like about it? Chances are you saw too much of the touristy side and not enough of the real South Beach. Let me guess, you're staying at the InterContinental? I'm surprised how popular that hotel is with people on cruises... especially since it caters more toward a business crowd.

We actually sprung for an Owner's Suite, partly because it's my first cruise and also because we need to make this vacation as relaxing and "vege-out" as possible. So we figured get something larger so that if we want to hide away, we can without being on top of each other (hmmm... not sure if that last comment came out right :D )

and what's wrong with being on top of each other? haha

i don't remember the hotel name. my other half could tell you that. i just thought it was over-priced and kind of slum looking. the beach was nice though.

as for relaxing, you can do a lot of that on a cruise. i like sitting on the pool deck just watching people.

I'm sure I'll spend some time out by the pool... but remember, I'm not a Miami native... I was born and raised in Massachusetts... so I'm PASTY WHITE! So my time in the sun is limited. So be honest... when you want a chair out by the pool... have you ever tossed someone's junk of a chair and claimed it for yourself? I hear about these "chair-hog" types... and while I'm not one for confrontation... I'd love to see someone else (not me) get in an argument about why you took a chair that had nothing but a flip-flop on it for the past 5 hours!... priceless!

Most of the hotels on South Beach are VERY overpriced... the trick is finding one that's worth the price you pay (because the cheap deals don't exist here anymore). My favorite thing to do on South Beach is dinner on Lincoln Road, people watching... and laughing at the tourists :cool:

Overall this trip should be interesting since I've never gone on a cruise before... but I see these ships pass by my balcony every weekend and I wish I were onboard... so I figured... why not!?

haha. no, i've never done that. there are times i wanted to. some of those people will grab a chair early in the morning and just leave their stuff there. if your ass hasn't been in that chair in the last hour, you need to give it up. and no, a pair of shoes does not count as you saving the chair. if that's all that is there, they can be moved. you at least need a towel.

pasty white? that's why i tan before vacation. i don't want to blind the people when i take my shirt off. of course, they still might tell me to put my shirt back on because of the fat rolls. ;)

Yeah... unlike most other gay men living in South Beach... I'm not exactly a Greek god either! LOL Hey, I even have a personal trainer and still have the "rolls" HAHA! But then again, how can you expect people who go on cruises to be in shape if there's all this unlimited food, buffets, etc. onboard?! Put dessert in front of me (or within 100 feet) and no matter how much self control I think I have... it's gone! :rolleyes:

The funny thing is that most people who live here (dare I say responsible) don't usually go sit on the beach and tan... we wake up in air conditioning... we get in our airconditioned cars... go to our airconditioned offices... and basically run from the sun! hehe

ok, time for the "other half" to chime in. we stayed in more of a hostel or whatever they are called and not a hotel. I think we stayed on the same 3 streets the entire time there, so i am sure thats why it was so expensive. i guess the movies spoiled me about the place and that is why i was disappointed.

i dont even think we ever had to wait for a chair, almost always some were free. the first cruise the day at sea, was a little more challenging, but guess it depends on how full the boat is.

Well hey there "other half"... nice to meet ya! :D

Hmmm, a hostel huh... on South Beach? I'm guessing it might have been on or around Washington... maybe the Clay Hotel on Espanola Way? That's one of the more popular ones. Espanola Way isn't bad, but there's not that much there... Lincoln is much better for walking around... while Ocean Drive is WAY TOO touristy. It really depends what you like to do.... if you have transportation... Miracle Mile in Coral Gables is a nice place to go for lunch and to walk around (plus the Univ. of Miami is in Coral Gables too... if frat boy sight-seeing is your thing hehe). Now if you know someone down here... you should have them take you into Little Havana for a true cuban lunch at Versailles... can't beat it! But you know... it's the same anywhere... it's much different if you live there vs. visit.

Archived