ROLL CALL Navigator of the Seas 09/02/06

Herenks

well, only transportation we had were feet, so we didn't venture real far. And since we knew no one, we didn't venture real far. We were chickens, lol.

Bill here, btw, and the first poster was Jamie.

Good to meet (well chat with anyway) you two... I'm Paul... my other half is Arnoldo... but he doesn't get online much. I realize a lot of people don't get a car when they're here... and that REALLY limits what you can see. If you ever happen to come to Miami for a few days, I'd recommend having wheels so you can explore Coral Gables and Coconut Grove... as well as Fort Lauderdale to the north... maybe even the Keys if you're adventurous... oh, and the swamps... I mean Everglades, if you're into the whole earthy crunchy sort of thing. Of course I do recommend visiting Miami NOT during the summer... you know because of those pesky little things we call hurricanes! (I see you folk aren't taking that advice this time HAHA). By the way, not to go WAY OFF topic here, but I'm watching Dateline on NBC right now... YIKES!

Anywho, so what kind of words of wisdom do you have for a first time cruiser?

ugh, those kind of people are sick......they need put away

hmm, words of advice, plenty of sun screen, lol

actually it just depends on what you enjoy, this is just our third cruise. we both like to do all the trivia and line dance type things, we stay pretty active, don't do much of the vegging except when we lay by the pool, so might not be the ones to ask.

the massages are awesome, if you like those, sign up early....they go fast....think we are doing the hot rock thing this year for the massage.

i am not a night owl, but on the ship, the night life is fun, we usually hit the disco every night, i love people watching

haven't decided on our shore stuff yet, we leave next weekend for a week in myrtle beach, so haven't thought much of the cruise.

Geez... between you two and Travis and Brandon... I'm getting jealous hearing about all these vacations everyone is taking! It's quite the struggle just to get 1 vacation a year in for me...

About the Dateline thing... the guy with the duct tape and rope... now that's something you don't see everyday! (Thank god!)

Normally we keep active on our vacations, but this one, we're hoping to be a little more relaxed... but not TOO relaxed. I tend not to do anything that involves actual dancing... because I just can't dance! I hear there's usually a comedian, which I'd like to see... as long as it's good. Massages sound REALLY REALLY good... especially since I promised my trainer that I'd do cardio to combat my lack of selfcontrol over food :D

Shore wise, I'm thinking obviously hit the beach for a few hours in Labadee, Dunn River Falls in Jamaica, two-man bubble sub in Grand Cayman... probably Tulum in Mexico (since I heard the beaches there are still in pretty rough shape from last years hurricanes). Hmmm, can you tell I've put TOO much thought into this?! We actually almost did an Alaskan cruise this summer with another couple, but schedules didn't match... and honestly, I'm kind of glad... I'm sure Alaska is nice, but I don't know if it's the type of place I want to see by ship... I'd rather do that land based.

So let's see, we're officially now 6 "family" out of 3,114 passengers? Hmm... looks like we have our work cut out for us! Honestly though, I'm just hoping there's not too much in the way of discrimination... normally I wouldn't worry about it... but being on a ship, even though it's big... it's still an enclosed space.

well, i wouldn't have known about this little spot if it weren't for travis, each cruise there has been about 10-12 family. and that boat was a little smaller. each time, we had a good time, and the people we sat with at dinner were really cool, which had us worried.

the first cruise most of the activity staff was family, they always chatted at the events. and you dont have to be able to dance to do the line dances.

i guess we are nerds, we did all the trivia events, dancing, just about everything on the schedule.

i can't wait for this trip, i love vball and they have a court, that should be awesome.

i don't think there is much to do the first stop except the beach.

I will say that the whole dining room thing... sitting with complete strangers has me VERY nervous. I suppose if we were with another couple, it wouldn't be so bad (at least that way, half of your table all knows each other)... but as just one couple... with the wrong table mates, I'm assuming it could be very uncomfortable. When I booked the trip, they only had the late seating available, so I requested a table for two. I know they won't guarantee it, but they told me since I booked an Owner's Suite, I'd have a better chance getting one (not sure if there's truth to that). Otherwise it should be interesting to see what happens! Hmmm, if the table mates are that bad, I guess we could do Portofino's and Chops a LOT! I guess I'm one of those people (believe it or not... in person anyway) who's on the shy side when it comes to randomly talking to strangers (you'd never guess it from here!)... I'm sure it will be fun none the less! Hey, who knows... maybe I should talk the other half into having a nice little champagne family sailaway party from our owners suite :) I did make sure to get a stateroom on the port side so that I'd be able to see the city and the beach as we leave.

Yeah, I hear there isn't much at all in Labadee... so I'm thinking have a nice breakfast onboard, then get off and go lay on the beach for a bit... play in the water... then return to the ship for mid to late afternoon lunch... because honestly, the whole BBQ on the beach doesn't sound all that great! But who knows... I could be wrong.

the first year we ended up with 4 women for dinner, it was 2 women in the 50's and their mothers. they were a hoot

last year, we were with brandon and travis, and then we also had 2 women in their early 20's

both times they were all very cool

the island in the bahama's sounds the same, but the bbq was actually very good, was nice sitting around eating. of course i played sand volleyball the whole time, so the other 3 left me

guess its time for me to log off, been on this computer way to long, darn travis for getting me addicted to this site.

Well when they say BBQ, what exactly do they mean by it? Oh I nearly forgot to ask... in terms of attire, do people really do the formal nights (ie. tux), or is it more toned down?

Anyway... go relax... reply to this when you have some free time... I still have about 3 and a half months to obsess over the details!

Cheers

well, pretty much just what you would think, hot dogs, burgers, brats, ect..... with all the fixings

but with everything else there is to eat on the boat, its a nice change!

We never dress up any more for the formal nights, the 2 times we went they were very lax in the dress. even the waiter said it really didn't require a coat and tie. we did the dress pants and shirts for every night

guess it depends on how you enjoy dressing

well, pretty much just what you would think, hot dogs, burgers, brats, ect..... with all the fixings

but with everything else there is to eat on the boat, its a nice change!

We never dress up any more for the formal nights, the 2 times we went they were very lax in the dress. even the waiter said it really didn't require a coat and tie. we did the dress pants and shirts for every night

guess it depends on how you enjoy dressing

to add to the dress code, there were people in shorts and tanks. now I may not wear a tie to dinner, but atleast i am not dressing like a hoosier.

and the bbq is nice. you don't have to eat the meat, they have plenty of other things there to eat. it's a full buffet.

Actually the BBQ thing doesn't sound too bad when I think about it... considering I think the last time I had a real grill burger was about 3 years ago while visiting family. Mind you I live in a highrise, so grills are not allowed.

See, I'm not that big on dressing up, whereas the other half would wear a suit everyday if he could! But then again, he used to live in NYC city so he's into that whole crazed rat race sort of thing. I guess I'd feel kind of bad though showing up to formal night in jeans!

You know, I just saw the new Freedom of the Seas come into Miami this morning by my balcony... it doesn't look that much different than the Navigator... maybe a little longer....

This is Brandon btw...The formal nights on the cruise we just came off had most people with a shirt, tie and coat and ladies with dresses. Some wore tuxes. Travis made me(:p ) take a suit this year and dress up, but it wasn't too bad. For the next cruise on Navigator he wants to get tuxes...hmmm....Im not sure about that. We'll see how much he twists my arm.:eek:

As for the rest of the nights I got back with Khaki's and a button down or polo shirt. Paul you guys should switch to the early seating and sit at the cool kids table with all of us, ha ha.

Anyway don't hide in your room too much. It should be a lot of fun. I'm ready to go now!

Everyone says that ship is huge. I may want to book the next one on there if the reviews turn out to be good. I was reading about your almost cruise to Alaska. I really want to do that. I have heard it is beautiful and that is something I have wanted to for quite some time. We'll see if and when it happens. ha ha :)

As far as family on the cruises go...The one we just finished was loaded with family. They were everywhere. So were more "out"than others but they were definitely there. So I'm sure there will be others on board.

I feel your pain... my other half has been insisting I go out and buy a tux especially in light of the cruise in September. We'll see whether I do or not... I'm sure if I don't, I'll get an earful from him!

In terms of the early dinner seating, don't you find that you have to rush during the day in order to make it to dinner on time? I mean if dinner is a 6:15... you need at least 30 minutes to an hour (depending on how high maintenance you are) to get ready... maybe I'm wrong?

Honestly, comparing the pictures of the Freedom and Navigator... it didn't look that much bigger. But the Genesis is supposed to be enormous... something like 50% larger than the Freedom!

Yeah, the Alaska cruise fell through because we couldn't get our schedules to all work out together. We might do it next year... not sure yet. So in the meantime, I'm trying to get details on a South Pole expedition (seriously)... although I know the bf won't go... it's something I've always wanted to do though.... no luxury there, that's for sure!

I need to check the schedule I guess. One of the reasons we did early seating last year was to be able to catch the shows at night. Although with this last cruise they did 2 shows per night for the most part, both early and late so that might not be a problem.

South Pole? Hmm that would be different thats for sure.

Genesis? I havent heard of that one yet. What cruise line will that be?

From what I understand, the first seating is at 6:15ish... second is at 8:30... according to what I've read on here, for those with the first seating, they have the show scheduled for right after their dinner... those at the later seating can see a show prior to their dinner. I guess it's personal preference. It seems to me that either way, if you want to do both dinner and the show, you're going to have to be back at the ship at about the same time... since the early show is at the same time as the main dinner seating... and technically you won't be free to do other activities at night until the about the same time since the later show and later seating would be during the same time. Hmmm... now I'm starting to second guess my own choice! HAHA But seriously, do you guys normally go out to dinner at 6pm? I never arrive at a restaurant until around 9am with friends... so the later seating almost seems natural. Argh... all the choices... I'm SO confused!

Yeah... the whole South Pole is one of those crazy, extreme, once in a life time, "i need to see a shrink" types of vacations... 40 degrees below zero... dragging an 50lbs sled behind you across Antarctica for a few days... it should be unique!

The Genesis is supposed to be Royal Caribbean's next class of cruise ship... like the Navigator is part of the Voyager class... the Freedom (and I think Liberty is next) are part of the Freedom class... then they'll be coming out with the Genesis class. Personally, I think it's going to be WAY too big... but it will be cool to see it go by my balcony! If this cruise goes well and I want to do the Caribbean again, I might try the Freedom of the Seas, but not until it's been in the market for at least a year... right now it's the newest and biggest, meaning EVERYONE and their brother wants to be on it...

Well I will have to look into the show time thing. On the Carnival cruise we just took, they offered 2 shows. So I'm not sure if this one does as well or what the deal is. I will check into it, or ask my boss. He just went on this same ship a few weeks ago. So he will know. I will talk to him tonight and see what he has to say.

ok, you do dinner early to get it over with. if the show stinks and you want to leave, you still have time to do whatever you want. if you take the late dinner and the show stinks, you are limited in your choices because of your dinner time. does that make sense? as for bill and i, we usually do eat around 6. you have to remember that bill is in bed normally by 8:30 since he has to get up so early in the morning. don't worry, on the cruise he stays up late. haha

and if you take an hour to get ready for dinner, you are too prissy. haha

now, for your antarctic thing, you are just crazy. why would you want to intentionally go somewhere that is cold? i just cannot comprehend that.

An hour is about normal for you know who in our house. :eek: Sorry but its true. I can be showered cleaned up and ready in 20 minutess or less if necessary.

Yeah Jamie is right about the early dinner and show thing. But everyone is different.

I am sure they have 2 shows, if not more. They did have 2 on the other ship. I just like to eat early, I am a freak! Also, the buffets usually close at 7:30, so you are stuck if you don't like the main course at dinner or whatever.

NO tux for this boy, it'd be a minor miracle to even get me in a tie.

Is it Sept yet? Even Jamie is know ready, and that never happens.

I can pack and leave now! I am so ready to go again. It won't be here soon enough I can tell you that.

Ok, it's time to go earn my check at work. Talk to you all again on Sat when I get off work.

Brandon :cool:

Seems as if we have a bit of a mix in this crowd... the high maintenance vs. the only slightly high maintenance! I will say I fall into the 20 minutes or less category to get ready! :D

I guess there's good reasons for BOTH the first and second dinner seatings... hmmm, maybe I should just go to both and eat twice! (mmm, my trainer might have a problem with that though)

I guess I could try and get first seating... and then if you guys are horrible, I could switch back to the later... (JUST JOKING!) :D :D

that sounds like a good plan! you are going have to lie to your trainer, there is no watching the figure on cruises....

I fall i the under 10 minute category, i just don't have enough hair and such to primp....one good thing about the receding hair line

Archived