Who is Bill W?

ms_mom_1965

This must be a really stupid question, since it seems everybody knows but me, but who is Bill W? I've seen "Friends of Bill W" several times.

ms_mom_1965,

I didn't know either. :o

What's worse is that I thought they just typed the wrong name and meant friends of Bob....as in Carnival's executive...:p

BTW, 1965 was a good year! Maybe it's just us? :confused: :eek: :D

Gay/Lesbian cruisers...

Yes, but "who" was/is Dorothy?

I can see it now....all the FODs are also friendly with Bill and will be conducting sunrise services on the lido.:eek:

Yes, but "who" was/is Dorothy?

I can see it now....all the FODs are also friendly with Bill and will be conducting sunrise services on the lido.:eek:

Dorothy, as in the Wizard of Oz, as in Judy Garland... who was very popular with gay audiences... I believe that is also how the rainbow came about?

Dorothy, as in the Wizard of Oz, as in Judy Garland... who was very popular with gay audiences... I believe that is also how the rainbow came about?

Well you learn something new everyday :p I don't know if I've ever seen that movie or not.:confused:

Isn't that the movie that doesn't have even one strong male Character? :eek:

The scarecrow was the strong male character. It just took him a while to find out how strong he was.

What was used first, Dorothy or the rainbow? How did that association come about? I don't see the connection.

The scarecrow was the strong male character. It just took him a while to find out how strong he was.

What was used first, Dorothy or the rainbow? How did that association come about? I don't see the connection.

Dorothy was first. The connection, as stated above, is that Judy Garland was an icon to the gay community back in the day (and still is)... AA was founded the same year that the Wiz of Oz came out, at that time, it was shameful to be either an alcoholic or gay, friends of Bill W seemed an appropriate way to refer to those with problems with alcohol, many speculate there was a correlation between the two... Not exactly sure how it came about... Now, the rainbow didn't come about until I believe the 70's, and that was because of a flag... soon, it became a symbol that people could put in their windows, yards, bumper stickers, etc, to show gay pride. Now, if it has something to do with Dorothy, I don't know...

I did a good deal of research in college for a paper on discrimination... and I have several gay friends, so this is my basis... I really have no concrete evidence, so don't ask me to back it up! LOL!!

Oh, btw... Dorothy seemed to be the strongest male character in the movie :D

I understand the connection between Dorothy and the rainbow: the song: "Somewhere over the rainbow."

What I don't get is the connection between gays and Dorothy (Judy Garland).

Can't explain it... seems to have always been like that. Mainly gay men, seem to love Judy... She was/is a huge icon in the gay community (again, it seems to be mainly men... which I believe FOD was originally used for men only)

I found this, but I don't know how accurate it is

Judy Garland was hugely popular among gays during her lifetime. Her concerts were major gay meeting places, and in her later years, she made money singing at gay piano bars. Garland's father was gay, as were her studio-executive mentor and two of her five husbands. She had many gay friends and went to parties where she joked that she was the only woman present. But her appeal was based on more than her own acceptance of gays.

As Dorothy, Judy Garland portrayed a misunderstood kid from a small town who has an amazing adventure in a Technicolor world. The central message of The Wizard of Oz is that you will find what you're looking for inside yourself. That message resonated with gays of the era who yearned to come out into a colorful world and live what was inside of them.

http://ask.yahoo.com/20030909.html

The issue is simple yet complex. Depends on how old one is,

Ms. Judy Garland was an actress and singer in the 1940's to 60's. Many of her duets were with gay men.

But she was also a pinup gal for GI's in WWII and Korea. The girl you wanted so much to help you to live through those difficult years. That "Rainbow" stuff has crossed long ago into "civil rights" areas.

Guess we are all really "friends of Dorthy" - people.

She did not live long enough to really know how important of a "Star" she was. Tragic. She like, Mickey Rooney did so much during WWII. Great Americans ask your Grandparents if you still can or your folks.

For sure she is a icon to gays, women, many veterans and the gals they left behind. (hundreds of thousands of women lost their loves)

Sort of a "Saving Private Ryan" tribute from me. As I always tell people: if you shouldered a rifle in the military no person has the right to question your

service to our country. Judy served well this country. Good she is beloved by many; very good indeed. She stands for "Freedom".

Freedom is what "Friends of Dorthy" is about

just one olde soldiers view...

• 2 years later...

Archived