One More Thread About The Sick Ship

SandyMc

OK, I just want to know if I am the only person on the March 17 Mercury sailing that just can't believe Celebrity felt compelled to compensate those on the March 27 sailing and feels just as compelled to ingnore us?!

At least those boarding March 27 were given an option. We, on the other hand, were never told we were boarding a sick ship. Nor was the problem ever addressed by the cruise line directly. Passengers were left alone to speculate and create their own senario. How sad!

This was our first experience with Celebrity and we had looked forward to it for a year. To have this cruise become such a disappointment is bad enough but then to know the cruise line apparently feels it's OK to discriminate in handing out compensation to its passengers is nothing short of amazing. So - how come I'm the only one who is amazed????

OK, I just want to know if I am the only person on the March 17 Mercury sailing that just can't believe Celebrity felt compelled to compensate those on the March 27 sailing and feels just as compelled to ingnore us?!

At least those boarding March 27 were given an option. We, on the other hand, were never told we were boarding a sick ship. Nor was the problem ever addressed by the cruise line directly. Passengers were left alone to speculate and create their own senario. How sad!

This was our first experience with Celebrity and we had looked forward to it for a year. To have this cruise become such a disappointment is bad enough but then to know the cruise line apparently feels it's OK to discriminate in handing out compensation to its passengers is nothing short of amazing. So - how come I'm the only one who is amazed????

I agree with you.

I agree....even if I am your sister! Ha! I have written to Celebrity, emailed Celebrity, even emailed the agency where we purchased our tickets, and so far have gotten nothing but the standard "we are looking into your inquiry". Has anyone received anything positive? Like maybe they would like to keep us as future cruisers?:confused:

Dear Sandy Mc,

I agree with you as well. It really does not make any sense.

I am so sorry you had such a bad experience. I know how it is to look forward to something for so long. It really is ashame that it turned out to be a disappointment.

We have had several wonderul experiences on Celebrity. Unfortunately, the cruise you were on was not at all representative of the normal Celebrity experience.

I can totally understand your frustration.

Nancy

Sandy...you're not alone. Frankly, I think since we are long gone it's easy to ignore us. Once we left the ship, we lost most of our power. We're not a group underfoot about to mutiny, but, rather, scattered to the winds. I think the key is making a larger issue of things while still onboard. Personally, I think the 3/27 sailors have a lot to thank tuggers for as she was very savvy about getting word out off the ship and making her complaints officially recognized. And, I couldn't agree more with your earlier comment that Celebrity could go a long way with public relations by acknowledging what happened on our cruise. I'm sure there's someone at corporate headquarters with eyeshades and a calculator trying to figure out the bottom line of awarding some compensation vs risking customers not returning. So far, it looks like they're willing to gamble against us.

Nan

I agree. How can they give compensation for one sailing and not the other when they both were affected? And on the 17th, we were not warned or given any other options. I also emailed the "higher ups" and faxed them a letter but no response whatsoever (not even a thank you for your inquiry). Any other suggestions?

Good suggestion, tb!

I would also snail mail, certified, return receipt so you have a record of who rec'd the letter. Did you do a read receipt on your email?

It is AMAZING to me that you rec'd NO response. What a disappointment these executives have turned out to be! As a stockholder, I am appalled!!!

SandyMc and TexasAnnie,

I can empathize with the passengers who were affected on these "Sick" cruises. But I am curious to know how you personally were impacted on the cruise. Did you come down with the virus or to what extent you were affected?

What do you think is a fair and just compensation?

Roy,

You didn't ask me but I hope you don't mind my butting in here.

I did not come down with the virus. I did however use up all my inhalers (which I have never even used on a cruise before - thank goodness I had carried them) because at night I would cough and have trouble breathing in my cabin. I think I mentioned elsewhere on here that my friend started having nose bleeds and is still having them.

But aside from the health issues, and the drips everywhere, and the clothing ruined, etc, etc. the one thing I missed the most was the dining room for breakfast and lunch. I do not like buffets and I do not think that X does a particularly good job with them. They also have some items that are only available at lunch that I look forward to having. I look forward to the Eggs Benedict for breakfast. Out of 10 full days of cruising, we were only able to use the dining room for lunch 4 times and for breakfast 5 times (I didn't go back ad check my notes, but I believe those are the correct numbers). This affected my enjoyment of the cruise. Add that to everything else we missed (Sushi Café, etc) and I believe we missed more than 25% of the enjoyment of the cruise.

And I think a small on board consideration (free drink coupons, a box of chocolates, etc) would have gone MILES to let us know that X cared about us and how the cruise was going for us. Not re-actively waiting until we were all disgusted and p___ed off. As for the 'on board corporate people', I thought they did more to make people mad with their inability to do ANYTHING than if they were not there. I was told by a GR person that they were brought on to help GR's people who were overwhelmed and demoralized by all the complaints on the previous two cruises.

Sorry to highjack your question.

WOW! Thanks Gail. I was curious to know what the affect was to people who did not come down with the actual virus.

It sounds like the cruise ambience was ruined for most passengers...because why? Due to the cleanup effort and resulting smells and diminished service and lack of availabilty of the dining facilities. I suspect I would be somewhat ticked myself if my cruise was so affected.

Compensation generally has the effect of admitting guilt and I can see why X may be hesitant to formally admit anything. Of course a few free martini coupons would go a long way to keep the discord to a minimum.

Thanks for responding, Tuggers - You definitely echoed what I would have said myself!

Here's my thing and what had just driven me crazy ever since members not affected by these cruises began responding to posts by those affected --- they cannot imagine or envision what the ship looked like or smelled like. They don't understanding not being able to push elevator buttons, hold handrails going up and down stairs, being able to get a little fresh air into the rear pool area, having miserable lines in the buffet because there was no where else to eat, having to beg, borrow or steal something as simple as a salt shaker! These may not sound like a big deal to a lot of readers but believe me - being able to use a handrail when you your knees are bad is a very big deal!

Everyone on those two cruises was affected to some degree - and to assume otherwise denotes an amazing lack of empathy!

SandyMc - Gail, I agree. I certainly see how these types of small issues can all add up to a terrible experience. I do empathize with your experience.

What do you want Celebrity to do at this point?

Roy,

You didn't ask me but I hope you don't mind my butting in here.

I did not come down with the virus. I did however use up all my inhalers (which I have never even used on a cruise before - thank goodness I had carried them) because at night I would cough and have trouble breathing in my cabin. I think I mentioned elsewhere on here that my friend started having nose bleeds and is still having them.

But aside from the health issues, and the drips everywhere, and the clothing ruined, etc, etc. the one thing I missed the most was the dining room for breakfast and lunch. I do not like buffets and I do not think that X does a particularly good job with them. They also have some items that are only available at lunch that I look forward to having. I look forward to the Eggs Benedict for breakfast. Out of 10 full days of cruising, we were only able to use the dining room for lunch 4 times and for breakfast 5 times (I didn't go back ad check my notes, but I believe those are the correct numbers). This affected my enjoyment of the cruise. Add that to everything else we missed (Sushi Café, etc) and I believe we missed more than 25% of the enjoyment of the cruise.

Tuggers..............I have to take issue with your last statement.

If there is a problem onboard a ship such as the virus on the Mercury, to miss breakfast or lunch in the dining room is very insignificant!! If part of my vacation in a close quartered environment was disturbed because of something beyond managements control...........I would learn to deal with it in a very positive way.

However, the only thing that I have to enjoy, regardless of money, is my health. That, to me, is an issue far greater than no eggs benedict for breakfast.

Gail.........your health was affected on this cruise. You state you were lucky that you had inhalers, and that you had to use them. What if you didn't have inhalers? Does the infirmary on the Mercury carry your type of inhalers? You state that you are still are having problems. Have you seen a doctor about this? To me, these are the real issues that anyone needs to be concerned about. Get checked out Gail, make sure that your lungs are OK. You need your health for your next cruise, and the next!!

Just my 2 cents worth!!

Rick

Rick, I chose not to go into the health problems for a few reasons. I would probably get things like 'you know you have asthma, don't blame it on X', 'I don't have breathing problems so it's wouldn't affect me' and 'so I guess you are going to sue?'.

Let's face it, these boards, lately, have not been known to be terribly sympathetic or empathetic towards ANYONE disparaging X. They will flame you in a heartbeat and, in fact, toasted me pretty well for what I had to say when I posted from the ship.

Food is something EVERYONE who cruises understands. It's a major attraction. Everyone talks, about it, critiques it, applauds it and denigrates it. I thought it was something everyone could imagine as a real down side to a cruise.

You asked what I expect Celebrity to do - I expect Celebrity to acknowledge that our cruise was less than the highly touted "Celebrity Experience" and to freely offer to passengers on the March 17 cruise the same compensation they have offered to the passengers on the March 27 cruise.

I do not think the illness on ship was their fault but the poor way it was handled is their fault. It certainly would be to their benefit to contact the March 17 passengers and offer the same package they have already put in writing for the March 27 passengers.

I keep thinking the goodwill of its passengers is important to Celebrity but now understand why people like myself are not important. It's because so many people who were never in the situation we found ourselves in respond that "it is nothing" and "gee - you were lucky to be on a cruise at all".

Tuggers,

I think you did the right thing by not going into the health issues. I hate to say it but it would have set you up for alot of criticism from those who believe that Celebrity can do no wrong. Many posters of late believe that if you experience any type of problem onboard it's because a) you have a bad attitude b) it's your own fault and/or c) you want compensation.

I am surprised that you haven't yet been accused of purposely walking in areas where they were spraying extensive amounts of bleach so you could damage your health and then sue Celebrity.

It's all so crazy!

Nancy

I emailed the "higher ups" (to the emails listed on this board), then faxed to the number that customer service gave me 1-800-886-6485 attention Dan Hanrahan, but have not received a response either way. Should I mail a letter as well?

Hi Vernon !

I would absoultely mail it as well. Good Luck !

Gail, It comes down to this:

Celebrity advertises "The Celebrity Treatment", "Be treated famously on a Celebrity Cruise" and before that they advertised "We'll exceed your expectations". I doubt they exceeded anyone expectations on your cruise.

You didn't get what you were led to believe you had puchased. You should be eligible for compensation just like people on any other cruise with the same or similar problems.

Gail, It comes down to this:

Celebrity advertises "The Celebrity Treatment", "Be treated famously on a Celebrity Cruise" and before that they advertised "We'll exceed your expectations". I doubt they exceeded anyone expectations on your cruise.

You didn't get what you were led to believe you had puchased. You should be eligible for compensation just like people on any other cruise with the same or similar problems.

I thought she was getting 25% of her cruise fare back, and that same amount off of another cruise...:confused:

Hi, Vernon!

Try mailing your letter to Celebrity Cruises, 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132. Just a side note - I searched the Celebrity website and could not find their address anywhere. I found this on Cruise Critic Reviews. Go figure!

Archived