Looking for Alaska touring & onboard activity info

luvthis

Okay...leaving on May 8 on the Mercury to Alaska. Don't like cold weather. First cruise that doesn't have warm weather and palm trees...so no tan expected.

Anyway, we're looking to get some good tips from fellow cruisers that have been to Alaska on a Celebrity ship. Are there extra activities on board since it's obvious that sunning by the pool with a reggae band is not going to be the fashion of the day? Also, what "sheltered" tours are "do not miss" at the various towns? Is the train into the countryside worth it? What about winging it independent of a booked Celebrity tour? Anyone find something inexpensive to explore, while still leaving plenty of time to get back to the ship before sailing?

Sorry to be such an inquisitive thing, but it's our first time to Alaska. We are in our mid-50's and a bit plump and out of shape. We've experienced active tours such as horseback riding, snorkeling, swimming with dolphins, swimming with stingrays, feeding the sharks, etc., on the many tropical cruises we've been on over the years. However, it will be cool if not cold in early May, so since we're from Wisconsin, we're not in any hurry to spend hours outside in damp, cold conditions. We can hardly wait to see the glaciers, though.

Oh yeah...should be bring along binoculars? We know water resistant outerwear and an extra pair of shoes is a must. Anything else?

All insight is welcomed. Thanks in advance!

--Jean & Bob, Racine Wisconsin

Binoculars, yes (maybe two pair so you don't fight!).

Warm hat to cover ears, umbrella to keep the rain away.

We like "Sloggers" that are somewhat like the old galoshes, but fit over athletic shoes.

In Skagway, the Forest Service - or Park Service - never can remember which - run a walking tour of the town. We've taken it twice and enjoyed it both times.

In Ketchikan there is a large building on the dock where all sorts of tours are sold, so you could wait and see what the weather is there. If it's raining, the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center - about two blocks from the pier towards the Lumberjack exhibition, is good.

In Juneau, if the weather is good, the tram up the mountain by the dock is enjoyable, or take a $5 each way trip out to Mendenhall glacier - can find out on Juneau dock about this - there are all sorts of hikes there if you are in the mood, or a headquarters building if you - like me - aren't. Nancy

Hi Jean & Bob.

We'll be on the 5/8 cruise too. Really happy to see your post. I cannot do COLD!!! Cold for me is 80 degrees. My DH said I'd never make it on an Alaska cruise (we even canceled one a yr ago and went transatlantic) because of the temp's. Anyway, we're in our mid 50's too and are not much into booked tours. We really like to just see things on our own or get our own driver and see the sites. Loved the previous post with the great things offered to do. Thank you.

Have you signed up for the CC party? Happy to know we're not the only ones on this cruise that don't do cold and want inexpensive alteratives.

Connie

Hi Connie,

Yes, Bob & I did sign up for the CC party. We are on deck 10 and our last name is Modrow. If you're interested, call our cabin when you get settled in & we can meet. It's always fun to meet new friends AND if we decide to get a cab and explore a port, it helps to share the cab costs (ha).

One year, Bob & I sat at a table for 8 and all of the 3 other couples were honeymooners. It was a real hoot. At that time we were married for about 25 years and it sure was fun sharing their special honeymoon experiences.

See ya on the Mercury, May 8. We've gotta get out and get some binoculars and foot gear. My big fear is how am I going to get everything packed for 11 nights without going over the weight limit on the airplane. Phoey!

Best,

Jean & Bob, Racine, Wisconsin

Have you gone to the Ports of Call board and scroll to Alaska. There is a wealth of info there, all sorts of threads about excursions, clothing to take. Just do a search.

Marilyn

I found that site after posting on this one, so I copied and pasted my original thread over there, as well. You can bet I will be reading up. The anticipation and planning of a cruise is as exciting as actually being on the cruise. Only concern I have is that it may be damp, cold, and foggy. I love dry, hot, and sunny which is why we've never done Alaska before. However at 53 & 56 years of age, it's time to experience Alaska while our health still allows us to. I have seen too many "really" older passengers that waited to travel and now have health & mobility problems that limit their ability to explore the ports and enjoy the on board activitities. So, this year, we will give up the heat, the palm trees, and the tan to see one of God's wonders.

I'll be reading previous posts for suggestions, that's for sure. Thanks!

--Jean

We went to Alaska on the Mercury the first week in May 2004 and thought we were risking the weather so early in the year, but it could not have been better. We took a caseload of fleeces, sweaters & coats and did not need any of them (just light waterproofs in Ketchikan when it rained a little - the only time in our 12 day cruise). Not sure exactly of the temperatures but all I wore was light cotton dresses and my husband only short sleeved shirts. He even wished he had taken short trousers !

Do of course take thicker clothes but go prepared for summer aswell- layers is definately best. We have some lovely photos of us swimming in the outside pool (heated, I must admit) with snow on the mountains in the background.

I am sure you will love Alaska and really hope you have the weather we did.

Kathy & Paul

Hi Jean

Nice to hear from you. Our last name is Caldwell and we're on the Vista deck. I've been on 14 or 15 cruises and Bill 11 I think and other than the transatlantic we have always preferred the palm trees, sun & sand. This is our first on X and first to Alaska and I must say I am really looking forward to it. Packing is the hard part for me too as we will be visiting our son and family for 10 days prior to the cruise and they live in S. CA and Bill's Mother just moved yesterday to the Palm Springs area (hot-desert!!) which is about 45 min. to an hour from our son. So I have to pack for 90+ weather there and then the cruise!!!!! HELP! ha My sister just moved to WA state last fall so she will pick us up when we get into Seattle and we'll spend a week or so with her before flying home. Hope the airlines can deal with us...

Have you found any tours that interest you? Oh, by the way, I'm 55 and Bill is 58 years young!!

Connie

All right, Connie, let's try to connect up after getting settled in. Bob & I have sailed multiple times to the Carribean (East & West), also to Hawaii twice, once being from Hawaii to Tahiti (THAT was a cruise). The last several years we have taken all-inclusive land packages, and watched the ships come & go. We've been to Puerto Vallarta multiple times and last fall spent 10 days in Aruba. So, we're ready to give cruising a "go" again and are looking forward to seeing Alaska. I hope the weather is favorable, but if not, I'll wrap a blanket around myself and snuggle up on our veranda with it. Ha! Haven't booked any tours yet, but it sounds like it's advisable. Celebrity stops allowing pre-booking at 10 days before sailing. Hmmm...what to do....just don't know.

Jean & Bob

Archived