Which cruiselines discount kids?

gszenacm

We just went with RCCL and paid full price for my daughter who was just 11 months - seemed like a waste...but there were EVEN younger ones there...at least my daughter ate some of the food and left a mess at the high chair.

I thought at least one cruiseline let under 2 kids cruise for free or at least at a discount...was I dreaming???

and I'm not just talking 3rd or 4th person discount here...

We just went with RCCL and paid full price for my daughter who was just 11 months - seemed like a waste...but there were EVEN younger ones there...at least my daughter ate some of the food and left a mess at the high chair.

I thought at least one cruiseline let under 2 kids cruise for free or at least at a discount...was I dreaming???

and I'm not just talking 3rd or 4th person discount here...

Well, awhile back I took the kids on Premier's Big Red Boat. My 5 week old (Yes, that's right, 5 week old!) was sort of free. We had to pay the port charges only for her. There were other lines that did that also. But that was then and I don't know what they do now.

Costa runs "Kids Sail Free" on some of their sailings. That's not even for kids under 2 either.

• 2 weeks later...

my two kids went for free.

We are uk residents though and this might make a difference. we are cruising Europe from Southampton on Sea Princess.Looking through their brochure there are lots of dicounts for kids, P&O discount too.

I think NCL might be the only one (although we have never sailed Carnival, so I am not entirly sure about that line).

On Disney, we paid full price ($899 for a 7 month old). On NCL we paid just taxes and port fees for a 2 year old. On RCCL, we pay the 3rd person rate (it's $499 for each child).

The reason is that a ship (by law) is only allowed to hold so many people. And a baby, no matter how young, is counted as a person in a room. So although they don't take up the same space, they do up the amount of people allowed on board and take a space away from an adult.

Archived