The virus

Randi S.

Has the virus been a problem on other lines as well?

What a silly question.....are you implying that Celebrity is doing something to cause only their ships to have problems??

The ONLY possible reason I can think of that MIGHT make Celebrity ships slightly more vulnerable to Norovirus is that they have an older population than average and therefore more passengers who are more likely to be suffering from other ailments and health problems that might make their immune systems weaker.

Every Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ship I have been on have been exceptionally clean and mantained....I can't see how anything they are doing could contribute to a virus outbreak.

Randi, yes other lines have had problems. HAL, Princess, Carnival, P & O, Seven Seas and those are just the ones affected in March and April! This is a very common thing and is normally handled with little or no inconvenience to the passengers. On Mercury, X just went WAY, WAY overboard.

Every question is good if it's something you want to know. thanks for asking.

Margie--I take exception to your response to Randi S. All he/she did was ask a simple question. I didn't interpret the question to "imply" anything or be "silly".

A cordial answer would have been in order.

Lucy

It happens fairly often in places where a lot of folks are gathered. It just seems to be a bigger news story for cruiselines. We have a pre-school in town going through it right now, they just closed for 2 days to get a thorough cleaning taken care of.

Sorry, I am not of the mindset that all questions are good questions.

I AM a big believer in common sense....and common sense would dictate that a virus wouldn't be targeting just one cruise line. Perhaps if people took a moment to actually think about something they could figure out the answer themselves. Unless Randi S. is a child, and I assumed they weren't, then the question is a little silly. I didn't say it was a stupid question, or berate the poster's intelligence....I simply noted that it was a silly question, and it was.

I am sorry if my remark offended anyone, but I tend to speak my mind and sometimes it gets me in hot water. I promise to be more careful in the future. :)

Sorry, I am not of the mindset that all questions are good questions.

I AM a big believer in common sense....and common sense would dictate that a virus wouldn't be targeting just one cruise line. Perhaps if people took a moment to actually think about something they could figure out the answer themselves. Unless Randi S. is a child, and I assumed they weren't, then the question is a little silly. I didn't say it was a stupid question, or berate the poster's intelligence....I simply noted that it was a silly question, and it was.

I am sorry if my remark offended anyone, but I tend to speak my mind and sometimes it gets me in hot water. I promise to be more careful in the future. :)

remember that there is nothing so uncommon as common sense....

The week before we sailed on the Explorer (RCI), there was a big outbreak of the virus. It can happen anywhere - cruise ships are ideal places for it to be passed around, with that many people in fairly close quarters. I don't think there's a line that hasn't been affected by it.

I am booked on Infinity May 20th. I wouldn't have booked with Celebrity for the third time if I felt they did something to create the problem, or that they didn't make every effort to correct it.

I had not read anything concerning the virus on other lines, and was curious. Of course, since Celebrity is my favorite cruise line, I spend most of my time on their boards which could explain why I haven't heard about other lines having the problem.

Thanks again for all your responses.

actually last year was a pretty light year for outbreaks and it appears that the number is about the same as last year so far. Have you noticed that most outbreaks are on longer cruises? As the CDC says the best defense is to wash your hands. It also means not shaking hands if you can aboid it or washing your hands as soon as possible afterwards...I know somepeople will think that rude....

What a silly question.....are you implying that Celebrity is doing something to cause only their ships to have problems??

The ONLY possible reason I can think of that MIGHT make Celebrity ships slightly more vulnerable to Norovirus is that they have an older population than average and therefore more passengers who are more likely to be suffering from other ailments and health problems that might make their immune systems weaker.

Every Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ship I have been on have been exceptionally clean and mantained....I can't see how anything they are doing could contribute to a virus outbreak.

And I take exception to the comment about the older population.

ester, you go girl!

Randi, you handled this with grace in the midst of some almost insulting :rolleyes: posts. Please do not let this experience keep you from starting a thread or posting again. There are lots of nice people on here who just like to chat and gain info about cruising!:D

Archived