Review: Mercury 6/11 Part 4 Skagway and Hubbard Glacier

bwarren1

Day four: Skagway

Mercury arrived in Skagway early in the morning, but our train tour was not until 12:45, so we ate unrushed breakfast at the breakfast buffet, and then disembarked into the small town of Skagway to do some shopping. We walked a few block past the end of the cruise line’s shopping suggestions and found this "Alaskan Outlet" store. Lots of good, cheap cheezy souvenir type stuff. We saw a lot of the same stuff everywhere we went, but this was the cheapest. It was even cheaper than that T-shirt shop across the dock in Juneau. We bought Alaskan cookbooks for $1.00 a piece, and some "made in China" stuff for kids.

I was looking for a charm for my daughter’s charm bracelet and was about to regret not buying a tiny whale tail in Juneau for $10.00 when I found the same 14kt tail in Skagway at a jeweler down the road and on the opposite side from that outlet store for $3.99. It was a bait and switch type thing with a huge sign on the door, and they tried to get me to buy a bigger one, but my daughter is tiny, and this tiny charm was perfect! I love a bargain!

Since the train departs right from the dock, we had time to go unload our packages in our room and eat lunch on board before getting on the 12:45 train. I almost didn’t take the train because of conflicting opinions about it on this board, but I booked it anyway, and I am so glad I did. I can’t tell you how awesome the sights are from this train. The beauty that surrounded us is indescribable. I pledged right then and there this would NOT be my last Alaskan cruise! There was very little narration on the train; I would have liked to hear more about what I was seeing, but I’ve heard some people say the narration on their trip was irritating, so I guess less is more! We saw beautiful waterfalls, snow capped mountains with mountain goats grazing on the cliffs, and we heard the roar of the class 6 rapids below us. I spent a lot of time on the little deck on the end of the car. It was cold, but hearing the sounds of the water rushing and breathing that clean air was just too wonderful.

The trip lasted about 4 hours, probably a few minutes longer than usual because the train in front of us was having trouble picking up speed.

When we got back, it was time for the ship to leave Skagway, so we went back to our cabin to change for dinner.

There was a huge selection of things to do this Monday night, including a vocalist in the theatre, and a Newlywed game, (which I later caught a glimpse of on our stateroom TV and was hilarious!!), but the four of us headed up to our old standby, the Navigator Club on the 12th floor. We ordered margaritas which tasted like lemon-lime slushies when we got them, so we took them up to the bartender and told him to remedy that with some more tequila…he kindly obliged, and we were served Tequila slushies the rest of the night! (Maybe WE are the slushes! J ) Not many people showed up tonight at the Navigator, which is usually where a lot of the crew goes to wind down, but tonight was the sock hop in the Pavillion lounge, so everyone must have been down there. We were determined to get the Navigator party started, so we danced up a storm. We had a blast until the wee hours of the morning…I’ve never had so much fun in my life. (How much those margaritas had to do with that, I don’t know!)

Day five: Hubbard Glacier

We were supposed to be a the glacier right after breakfast today, so everyone headed to the front of the ship right after breakfast. Gobs of people fought (literally) over space at the very front, but Rod and I preferred to go keep clear of that and settled for a deck down and a little on the side. I couldn’t believe the massiveness of the icebergs we sailed through, and the cold air…ouch! I was so thankful for my heavy coat and gloves, although this was the only point on the cruise I really needed them. We saw another cruise ship right at the glacier, and then we were told the ice had shifted and this ship was having trouble getting out, and we would NOT be going in! I was SO disappointed. This was one of the things on the itinerary I REALLY wanted to experience, but it was not to be. We watched the other ship maneuver around in circles, and then we headed south. I was very sad, but it was still an awesome experience.

We did a little shopping on board today, and then took a very long nap…I love vacation!

I think this was the day we watched the naturalist talk about bears, I honestly can’t remember, but the bear talk was very interesting, and Brent was so dramatic in his narration I literally have had nightmares about Bear attacks since then, no joke!

We changed for our early dinner and then went to the theatre for the comedian’s performance. (Please forgive me if I have my nights mixed up!) Anyway, the comedian on board was very funny. We laughed a LOT! I’ve heard a lot of people say the cruise ship humor is stupid, but I laughed at the shower and toilet jokes…maybe I like stupid, I don’t know.

Back to the Navigator…no need for our ship card anymore. The wait staff new our name and cabin number by heart. We even started a little competition between a Bulgarian waitress and a Philippine waiter. They would both race to our table when we got there; we enjoyed the service very much and rewarded them both with a little extra gratuity by the time it was all over. Evidently, the wait staff does not enjoy the Alaskan tour so much because the clientele tends to be a little older and little stiffer. We did our best to make up for that for them!!!

I’ll finish things up on my next post!

Thank you so much for the great reviews. We will be on the August 20th sailing on the Mercury. I can't wait and we will be sure to visit the Navigator's Club. Quick question - did you enjoy the Whitepass train both ways? We were thinking about booking it with Celebrity and going one way on the train and another way on a bus with a stop at Liarsville. Just looking for your opinion. Can't wait!!!

Thanks!

Beth

Thank you so much for the great reviews. We will be on the August 20th sailing on the Mercury. I can't wait and we will be sure to visit the Navigator's Club. Quick question - did you enjoy the Whitepass train both ways? We were thinking about booking it with Celebrity and going one way on the train and another way on a bus with a stop at Liarsville. Just looking for your opinion. Can't wait!!!

Thanks!

Beth

Beth,

To answer your question about taking the bus one way and train the other...I read a post somewhere suggesting the train/bus tour, but that was not an option that Celebrity gave us. I wonder if maybe you have to book that independently. Anyway, all our tour did was switch the engine to the front when we passed over the Canadian border...we were not allowed off the train. The ride back was exactly like the ride up, but the staff made everyone switch seats with the people across from them so everyone had a chance for a good view.

If we had been given the option of train up/bus back, we would definitely take it...I would have loved to stop to take some great pictures. If you do just take the train up, make sure you sit on the left...all of the scenery is to the left of the train.

Beth

There is an option through Celebrity. It is the Scenic Rail & Trail Camp Adventure (5 hours, $136). You go up to the Summit on the Railway, and down via motorcoach, with a stop at Liarsville with a brief presentation, cider and cookies, and panning for gold.

There is also a longer Yukon/Railway option (8 hours) that includes lunch at Liarsville and some other things.

bwarren1,

thanks for the review and I am truly sorry to hear about your Hubbard Glacier experience (or lackthereof). What ship was caught in the ice floes before you?

Sorry about Hubbard experience. We just returned and the cruise director said that in 6 years he had never been as close to the glacier as we got. It was incredible. We got inside 300 feet. The captain was even taking pictures.

Archived