Do Walkie Talkies work on board?

Susan85207

OK, this is going to sound like a rant, and I don't want you to take it personally....but unfortunately, those walkie talkies do work on board.

I say that because I've been on enough cruises where people were SO rude with them, and seemed to think that everyone else on board would surely be interested in what they were doing, where they were going, what they had eaten, and so on.

I'm not saying that all w/t users are rude, because that is certainly not true. I just wish that people would be more considerate of others when using them.

I've been in the library where it is quiet, and breaking the silence with that annoying deedle-deedle-deedle alert sound, a mans w/t blasted forth. Rather than getting up out of his cushy chair and leaving the library, he sat right there, talking loudly to whomever was on the other end. "Hey! Where are you? What are you doing? Can you hear me? Yeah - did you get ahold of Mom? Where is she? Where is your sister? What do you want to do later? Where are we going to eat? Hey, did you ever hear that sports score?" And the list is endless.

This same man (and his whole annoying family) had a knack of showing up just about everywhere we did. One evening in the Stardust Theater we were waiting for a show to start. "deedle-deedle-deedle", "Yeah - hey where are you?" "We're down here in the front row, we have seats saved for all of you."

See what I mean? No consideration for any of their fellow passengers.

This is just a small sampling of what I could tell you. The same principle applies to cell phone usage. 99% (or more) of the people around you are not interested in your phone conversation.

I think the w/t's are a great idea for familes when they want to find out where other members are. If people would remember to think of others and be courteous.

Now, Hikini is stepping down off of her soap box!

Enjoy!

Hikini:D

They do work on board as long as you have a good pair. The cheapie knock-offs don't work. You can even set them not to go "deedle deedle deedle" I have to agree with Hikini, some folks blather on and on, at the Captains dinner, during shows, or any other event where it becomes disturbing. :cool: We've used ours on a number of cruises, just use cell phone protocol. I've found that just turning it off in restaurants, shows, ect works.

They are great off the ship for finding each other. I'm sure someone will chime in about the legality outside the US. So far, I haven't been hauled off to jail (dozen or more foriegn contries) for using walkie-talkies.

Ry

OK, this is going to sound like a rant, and I don't want you to take it personally....but unfortunately, those walkie talkies do work on board.

I say that because I've been on enough cruises where people were SO rude with them, and seemed to think that everyone else on board would surely be interested in what they were doing, where they were going, what they had eaten, and so on.

I'm not saying that all w/t users are rude, because that is certainly not true. I just wish that people would be more considerate of others when using them.

I've been in the library where it is quiet, and breaking the silence with that annoying deedle-deedle-deedle alert sound, a mans w/t blasted forth. Rather than getting up out of his cushy chair and leaving the library, he sat right there, talking loudly to whomever was on the other end. "Hey! Where are you? What are you doing? Can you hear me? Yeah - did you get ahold of Mom? Where is she? Where is your sister? What do you want to do later? Where are we going to eat? Hey, did you ever hear that sports score?" And the list is endless.

This same man (and his whole annoying family) had a knack of showing up just about everywhere we did. One evening in the Stardust Theater we were waiting for a show to start. "deedle-deedle-deedle", "Yeah - hey where are you?" "We're down here in the front row, we have seats saved for all of you."

Those inconsiderate people are on every cruise.

I understand the need to know when your children are but if you have an hourly check in point, everyone else would not be bothered.

I used our walkie-talkies on the Golden Princess in March. Ours worked great. You'll just have to switch channels if it gets too busy on the one you're trying to use. Mine are very good ones. So if you have a cheap pair I'm not sure how well they will work. Saved us lots of time using them.:)

I don't mean to be nasty, but..... thats why I like cruises, "no phones ringing". I'm sorry, I use a cell phone but its so nice onboard without them.

I agree....and I do mean to be nasty because.......the irritating thing about walkie talkies is we all get the listen to both sides of the blathering conversation.....usually in a place we'd rather not have to listen to it.

I heard the same loud conversation about people saving their friends seats in the theater.......:mad: :mad:

See what I mean? No consideration for any of their fellow passengers.

This is just a small sampling of what I could tell you. The same principle applies to cell phone usage. 99% (or more) of the people around you are not interested in your phone conversation.

I think the w/t's are a great idea for familes when they want to find out where other members are. If people would remember to think of others and be courteous.

Now, Hikini is stepping down off of her soap box!

Enjoy!

Hikini:D

I agree:(

Enough already!

I promise not to be annoying. I also do not talk on my cell phone in public places where people have to listen to my conversation..... :o

Don't want to step into the moderator's shoes here but the question asked by the OP was "Do walkie talkies work onboard?" not "Do you mind me using a walkie talkie onboard?" Especially as the responders won't be onboard at the time.

If someone is doing something next to you on your holiday that upsets you it is your perogative to say so.

Likewise it is the responsibility of other guests to respect the fact that it others are on vacation too and the use of such tools/toys may be regarded as intrusive.

The GFRS/MRS (22 channel) WT's work quite well and can be a nice 'leash' for mom/dad to keep track of the kids. There are many cell phones now have this built-in too. My advice (even if it wasn't asked for) is to take them and to use them sparingly. And give the kids a short dissertation on being polite when on vacation. Also sometimes people (especially kids) tend to forget that communications on these devices are not private. Any one else who has one can tune into a conversation. You generally will not be interfereing with intraship communications as they tend to use other commercial/marine radio services. However, there are scanner phreaks who enjoy listening to this "chatter" too. Above all, enjoy your cruise! :D

I promise not to be annoying. I also do not talk on my cell phone in public places where people have to listen to my conversation..... :o

Sounds like no one will have a problem with you using Walkie talkies.

But with some people, I have to wonder why they bother to vacation together? They're all on the same ship, but don't seem to spend any time during the day together. Sometimes, I wish they'd wait to give each other their review of the days activities in their cabin at night. Then the rest of us wouldn't get the running commentary via the walkie talkie

jmo

-Monte

Archived