Has anyone sailed in the Mediterranean in November?

nicolinka

We are sailing in the Mediterranean on the Galaxy from November 10-20. Has anyone sailed in the Mediterranean in November? I'm wondering what the weather was like, and am interested in any other comments about the Galaxy. This is our first cruise with Celebrity - can't wait!!

I'm responding to this so it will go to the top again and maybe get a reply from someone who's been there. I, too, was very interested in this cruise, when I got some e-mail offers with such a terrific price! You can hardly go wrong, but I also wonder if the weather will be too cool for some of the activities. Still, you'll be seeing the ancient sites of Greece and southern Italy at bargain-basement prices. I must admit, we're still thinking of it.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the old adage "You Get What You Pay For" definitely applies to this one.

I go on business conventions very frequently in Europe and my wife and I once had the occasion of sailing the Med in November.

Pros:

No crowds in the major tourist spots (i.e. major attractions in Rome except for the Vatican which is probably always crowded, you'll walk right into the David at the Academia in Florence, etc., etc.).

Cheap cruise fare

Cheap airfare

Cons:

It is generally freezing. The Med is not Mexico or the Caribbean. Very cold in winter. You might get lucky and hit a mild spell, but generally very cold.

Some parts of the Med can be rougher than the North Atlantic (i.e. the Straits of Gibraltar)

Because of the low prices, these cruises are marketed locally in Europe to more of a partying crowd

In my own opinion, the concept of cruising is meant for warmer weather, unless you are purposely seeking an expedition type adventure, in which case a cruise to Alaska, Antarctica, Patagonia, would be fascinating, but frankly cruising around the Mediterranean in the rain and cold did not really appeal to us when we did it two years ago.

I'm sorry we did it -- but at least we didn't have to go a long way. I would not fly across the pond to do this in the Winter. If I lived in the States and had my heart set on going to Europe in the Winter because of the low fares and prices, I would use that time to really explore Europe on land, and save cruising in the Med for late Spring through early Fall, as it was meant to be.

Would the same cruiser contemplating the Med cruise in November ever contemplate a cruise from New York to Bermuda or from New York up to Canada and back in the Winter? Probably not.

It's funny how places seem exotic to us when they're far away, but just remember there is always a reason why something is very cheap.

Hope my response helps -- and remember, this is just my own opinion as someone who is European and lives in Europe. There may well be people who love the cold weather and love to cruise in November. I simply didn't like it.

Gunther

Like Gunther, I have been on a lot of business trips to the Riviera and the area around the Med in October, November and December. It can be chilly. Not, freezing, but cold. I recall an October in Bandol, France (on the coast) where when the Mistral blew, I used practically every bit of clothing on hand as a covering on my bed. On the other hand, I was on Majorca last December 9, and when the sun shone, it was pleasant. But think positively. At least they don't have hurricanes on the Med.:D

Hi,

I was in the Med in Nov 2004 and we had wonderful weather! Ok It was not really hot but it was very nice. We found when you get over towards Greece it gets warmer. We are on the Nov 10th sailing on Millennium, taking advantage of the great fare and knowing that the weather will be nothing like we get on our 26 May Millennium cruise. A cruise is what you make of it in my opinion.

Ian:D

Hi bandit,

The weather at the start of October is Fantasitc! I will be in Mallorca myself for a few days from 10 October, knowing its a great month to be there. When we cruise on 28 October 04 we were sat on deck on many of the days, and found Rome too hot! Stop worrying and look forward to the best cruise experience possible. I rate the Med as 'perfect' cruising.

Ian :D

You might still get lucky early Nov. I was just there Oct. 25- Nov. 6th

and the weather avg. 68-70. Greece was a little warmer, not much.

Nights were a little chilly, I wore a light jacket a few days. Used an unbrella only one day for about 10 mins. Sorry I can't help you with the Galaxy as we were on the Millie. I'm sure you will have a great time.

Hi bandit,

The weather at the start of October is Fantasitc! I will be in Mallorca myself for a few days from 10 October, knowing its a great month to be there. When we cruise on 28 October 04 we were sat on deck on many of the days, and found Rome too hot! Stop worrying and look forward to the best cruise experience possible. I rate the Med as 'perfect' cruising.

Ian :D

Thankyou so much for putting my mind at rest, I am really looking forward to it, twice as much now:D

Lisa

Archived