Classic Ocean Liner Fittings

juliecat

I came across a really cool website while googling tonight. They have an online exhibit of furniture and fittings from classic Liners as well as a number of items for sale.

This is from a postcard they have in their commerce section:

“Ship is nice and cabin is fine. Food good but no imagination. Skipt [sic] Bermuda due to storm. Weather, cruise staff, and table companions could be better. Photos are 3.50 ea. and unflattering.” Postmarked in 1976 from Charlotte Amalie.

The website is http://www.luxurylinerrow.com/

Enjoy,

Julia

Hi Julia,

I'm one of those junkies.

I can't be sure where more of my money has gone to...Cunard or eBay???

One of the ultimate junkies is my friend here:

www.midshipcentury.com

He has actually travelled several times to the beaches of Alang, India, to rescue much of the irreplaceable fittings and furniture from the discarded liners there, and had it all brought back to Southern California.

Some of it then found it's way into my small apartment.

His efforts recently resulted in a moment of kismet, which I was very pleased to have been there for.

Many of his rescues are fittings and furniture from the former Cunarder IVERNIA.

After Commodore Warwick returned to L.A. on QM2 from Hawaii, a few of us, including the Commodore and his brothers, were invited to view this amazing collection of rescues in the home where they are now happily saved.

One of the rescued pieces from the IVERNIA was the dresser from the captain's quarters. Commodore Warwick's father was once captain of the IVERNIA. The dresser was offered to the Commodore, as a token of tribute to them both. The Commodore very happily, and a bit emotionally, immediately accepted the gift. The Commodore is now the proud owner of this piece rescued off of the beach in Alang, which once belonged to his father aboard the IVERNIA.

The dresser is, at this time, on it's way to Southampton aboard the Saga Ruby, which called in L.A. last week.

Kyle,

There's agreat article about midshipcentury and the shipbreaking yard in the February issue of Cruise Travel magazine. The photos of the grounded ships are rather heartbreaking.

Julia

Archived