Special touch and thoughtfulness remembered

luvthis

It's amazing how much unexpected special touches can add to a cruise. Bob & I were on Infinity (Hawaii back to Ensenada) when it was brand new. Due to delays in the building process, our original sail date was moved back by a month. It was an inconvenience to change our vacation date at work, but Celebrity was great. They reduced the cost of our original booking by 50% and then offered our particular travel agency the opportunity to upgrade their passengers to a suite for a minimal amount of money 2 weeks before sailing. So, what we started out as an inside cabin on a lower deck, ended up costing us 50% less than we originally paid and after paying a nominal amount to upgrade, ended up in a sky suite. It was a memorable trip, to say the least. We started out not having any idea what to do with our butler, Richard. He was fantastic and gradually "taught" us what he was there to be asked to do. After about 8 nights, we had it down. We actually had him serve us dinner in our suite. He rolled in a long table with white cloth tablecloth. Bob sat at one end of the table and myself at the other. Richard served us course by course, with his white gloves on and his smile radiating the cabin as he served us a wonderful meal and assured us a lifelong memory. We now knew how to utilize a butler, and it was time to go home.

Celebrity has gotten multitudes of negative response to the way they handled the Mercury norovirus. In hindsight, I'm sure they are reviewing the way they handled customer service & disinfecting policies for those unfortunate cruise passengers. We have had very positive impressions of the company. Having sailed on many other cruise lines, we choose to return to Celebrity.

We are sailing again with Celebrity on Mercury May 8. It will be our 4th voyage with them. After being so spoiled on Infinity 5 years ago, we've just now decided to cruise again because we are average blue collar people, and suites are way above our income level. Since the Infinity in 2001, we have taken a couple all-inclusive resorts vacations, and watched the ships come & go from our room in Puerto Vallarta and last fall in Aruba. Luckily, we were able to secure a senior rate for our upcoming Alaskan adventure and again will have the luxury of a sky suite. Although more expensive than our Infinity cruise around Hawaii, we are so very excited to return to Celebrity. We did have a problem with our initial reservation, as the computer confirmation promised us something that apparently was a computer "glitch". Our travel agent and Bob & I asked Celebrity to honor the e-mail confirmation, but it was during the heart of the norovirus crisis. We were never able to get anyone in management to review our documentation and consider honoring that confirmation. With that said, we have accepted that Celebrity management was overwhelmed with much more major problems than a computer promise made to us. Now we are just enjoying the build-up to our Alaskan Cruise on the Mercury.

I am confident that we will build spectacular life-long memories on this cruise. My husband suffers from a disability that makes him no longer able to work, so even though we shouldn't afford to do this, we are going to afford this. We believe it's important to travel and build memories when health allows it. You just never know when that opportunity will disappear. So, do we save our money for our old age or do we experience life now and store the memories built in our minds for when we are old and can no longer travel? Since neither of us know if the newer type of medications Bob must take it will shorten his life, we're goin!! He's 56 years old TODAY and doggone it, I want to share life with him now. If he lives to be old and we end up poor, we'll just remember back to the special vacations we were able to share together.

Anyone out there have any helpful hints to keep our butler happy AND help us utilize him to the fullest?

Thanks for all your advice and help!

--Jean & Bob, Racine, Wisconsin

Jean...never having a butler myself, I have no hints for you about that. But, I wanted to say I really enjoyed your post and I think you have a great, refreshing attitude. Suites of any kind are also out of our price range these days (we have a small child) but we also believe it is the experience of cruising all together that matters and making happy memories to look back on one day.

I hope you have the most wonderful cruise. Please wish Bob a Happy Birthday.:)

I don't have any hints about the butler, suites are out of my budget, but I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your post. I think you have a wonderful attitude about life and I hope you have a wonderful cruise! You'll be getting on as I'm getting off Mercury. I'll be the one they are dragging off the ship kicking and screaming.:D

Terri

It's amazing how much unexpected special touches can add to a cruise. Bob & I were on Infinity (Hawaii back to Ensenada) when it was brand new. Due to delays in the building process, our original sail date was moved back by a month. It was an inconvenience to change our vacation date at work, but Celebrity was great. They reduced the cost of our original booking by 50% and then offered our particular travel agency the opportunity to upgrade their passengers to a suite for a minimal amount of money 2 weeks before sailing. So, what we started out as an inside cabin on a lower deck, ended up costing us 50% less than we originally paid and after paying a nominal amount to upgrade, ended up in a sky suite. It was a memorable trip, to say the least. We started out not having any idea what to do with our butler, Richard. He was fantastic and gradually "taught" us what he was there to be asked to do. After about 8 nights, we had it down. We actually had him serve us dinner in our suite. He rolled in a long table with white cloth tablecloth. Bob sat at one end of the table and myself at the other. Richard served us course by course, with his white gloves on and his smile radiating the cabin as he served us a wonderful meal and assured us a lifelong memory. We now knew how to utilize a butler, and it was time to go home.

Celebrity has gotten multitudes of negative response to the way they handled the Mercury norovirus. In hindsight, I'm sure they are reviewing the way they handled customer service & disinfecting policies for those unfortunate cruise passengers. We have had very positive impressions of the company. Having sailed on many other cruise lines, we choose to return to Celebrity.

We are sailing again with Celebrity on Mercury May 8. It will be our 4th voyage with them. After being so spoiled on Infinity 5 years ago, we've just now decided to cruise again because we are average blue collar people, and suites are way above our income level. Since the Infinity in 2001, we have taken a couple all-inclusive resorts vacations, and watched the ships come & go from our room in Puerto Vallarta and last fall in Aruba. Luckily, we were able to secure a senior rate for our upcoming Alaskan adventure and again will have the luxury of a sky suite. Although more expensive than our Infinity cruise around Hawaii, we are so very excited to return to Celebrity. We did have a problem with our initial reservation, as the computer confirmation promised us something that apparently was a computer "glitch". Our travel agent and Bob & I asked Celebrity to honor the e-mail confirmation, but it was during the heart of the norovirus crisis. We were never able to get anyone in management to review our documentation and consider honoring that confirmation. With that said, we have accepted that Celebrity management was overwhelmed with much more major problems than a computer promise made to us. Now we are just enjoying the build-up to our Alaskan Cruise on the Mercury.

I am confident that we will build spectacular life-long memories on this cruise. My husband suffers from a disability that makes him no longer able to work, so even though we shouldn't afford to do this, we are going to afford this. We believe it's important to travel and build memories when health allows it. You just never know when that opportunity will disappear. So, do we save our money for our old age or do we experience life now and store the memories built in our minds for when we are old and can no longer travel? Since neither of us know if the newer type of medications Bob must take it will shorten his life, we're goin!! He's 56 years old TODAY and doggone it, I want to share life with him now. If he lives to be old and we end up poor, we'll just remember back to the special vacations we were able to share together.

Anyone out there have any helpful hints to keep our butler happy AND help us utilize him to the fullest?

Thanks for all your advice and help!

--Jean & Bob, Racine, Wisconsin

Hi Jean and Bob ~ Thanks for sharing your wonderful message. I have no experience with a butler either. We always book an inside so we can use the extra money for excursions etc. I know what you mean when health issues strike, it makes you look at things just a bit different. Enjoy your cruises and Happy birthday Bob ~ hope the two of you have a wonderful day ~ Els ;)

Yup...it's a remembering Monday for me. Bob's 56 today and he's the love of my life. We'll be married 36 years in October and this will be about our 14th cruise. I firmly believe the memories we have built will carry us thru whatever the future may hold. We've snorkled with the stingrays in Grand Cayman, fed the sharks in Tahiti, encountered the dolphins in the Bahamas, went horseback riding in San Juan, saw the sun rise from above the clouds in Hawaii and then rode 26 miles downhill by bike, fed the fish while snorkeling in Cozumel and explored multiple locations thanks to our many cruise adventures. I'm smiling as I write this.

Nope...we don't smoke...nope we're not big drinkers...nope we don't gamble much. Yup...we were able to save while Bob was able to work. Will our kids get an inheritance? Hmmm...don't know what will be left. I am so thankful that we have been able to travel and experience life! God is good!

I'll figure out some new way to enjoy our butler. I've already made up my mind that I will curl up with a blanket on our veranda to stay warm. No way am I gonna miss a moment of Alaska's beauty. Heck...maybe Bob & I will curl up together under that blanket on our veranda. Too old to get pregnant...might as well take advantage of that, as well. Ha!

--Jean

No butler experience here either, but you sure did bring back great memories for me. We were on the first Infinity cruise (Ensenada to Hawaii) and what a great trip. DH and I love to cruise and we usually try to cruise at least once a year. Life if too short, so go and enjoy yourself and create those wonderful memories.

Thanks to all of you. We have had numerous people tell us we are squandering money that should be saved. I realize we don't know how much Bob's health may impact our savings in the future. However, we will continue to vacation while it's possible. People that smoke burn up money. People that drink, pee out their money. We have spent quite a bit on vacations, but we still have all the memories, years after the money was spent.

It's so easy to just assume there will be time to vacation later in life. Life can change forever in just an instant. We're a classic example of why people should vacation now, not later! Bob is able to live a normal life right now with the medication he's taking. I'm grateful for today and thankful for yesterday and am looking forward to tomorrow.

I appreciate that no one has condemned us for spending money we can no longer replace in such a "wild" way. Yup! Bob & I are "wild things" alright! Our photo albums are the proof and our videos are our verification.

Ohh...enough already! I tend to get a bit long winded. Sorry!

--Jean

Jean, Happy Birthday to Bob and Happy Anniversary to both of you in October. You sound like such nice people, that I'm not surprised your butler's smile lit up the cabin during your en suite dinner.

We haven't booked a suite yet, but we have increased the number of times we cruise. Life is far too short, as we discovered over the last few years. Like you, we want to make our memories now, to enjoy them later if there comes a time we can only remember cruising.

We are retired (medically necessary) and disposable income is not plentiful. We've also been subjected to the "Cruising! MUST be nice to be rich!" quote from envious friends and relatives. Smoking, gambling and excessive alcohol consumption were never a part of our lifestyle --raising our children and keeping a roof over our head seemed to swallow up our budget. I have to admit, it has sometimes been really difficult to bite my tongue so I don't alienate those same family and friends by pointing out that reducing even one of those three pleasures would enable those people to enjoy cruising, too. If I'm feeling philosophical, I remind myself that we all have different priorities and ours is cruising. Their's isn't.

Watching for bargains, however, is ingrained with us now and that is how we've been able to luck into some great bargains for cruising. (Ask your travel agent about Happy Hour Tuesdays). We've learned to keep our passports up to date, so we can travel at the drop of a hat.

I don't thing you need to worry about your children getting an inheritance. Children (and adults) learn so much from observation and you sound like such a nice couple that I suspect your children already received a better inheritance than money -- the gifts of love, committment to each other and using time wisely to make memories not regrets.

Enjoy your Alaska cruise cuddle.

What a touching story! You are right to do this. My in-laws put off travel or doing anything interesting exotic until they were retired and then were so set in their ways they couldn't enjoy it.

My wife and I like to travel, too. As you say, some people drink, some smoke, some spend their money on the latest electronics or on cars, etc. We spend ours on travel and have wonderful family memories of vacations spent together. You have to live life in the present because you don't know what the future may bring. I'm not advocating "eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die" but I'm saying there is a time for everything.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise. We'll think of you on the 8th when you are in Seattle. (we live close by)

From one Jeanne to another Jean,;) My husband is also disabled now, and we cruise every chance we can, while he still can. We don't know what tomorrow will bring, but we are doing it now, like you. I just smile and say thats right, whenever I get "it must be nice to be rich" we might not live long enough to spend it all then our children can have whats leftover.

Happy Birthday to Bob, and an early happy Anniversary in October. Our anniversary is October 10th, married 30 years and making every year count. God bless.

Making memories while we can is wonderful. My husband has cancer and was told 6 1/2 years ago (when he was 56)that his cancer was treatable but not curable. Since then we have cruised 2 times and will cruise again in August. He stills works but his work schedule is such that we can pack up and leave at a moments notice. We have been married 40 years and our children tell us spend it all on yourselves if we want. They will help with expenses as we age if we have need. Our friends are envious that we have the time to drop everything and cruise. Use your butler and have breakfast served in bed to the both of you. Have lunch on the balcony while you both are wrapped in blankets. Have a wonderful trip and Happy Birthday to your husband and a Happy Anniversary to you both.

I will see you on the Mercury to Alaska. I too believe you must vacation and enjoy yourself as much as you are able. There are too many wonderful places to visit and experience. We must do it while we can and treat ourselves to many "extras". Suite sailing to you.

Wow! Bob's & my 36th wedding anniversary is October 10. Got ya beat!! I was 17 when I married him (almost 18) and he was only 20. We said our "I Do's" and then had to go downstairs and have our parents sign the marriage license to make it legal. In 1970, girls had to be 18 and guys 21 to legally marry without parental consent. We've raised 3 children and have 4 grandchildren. When our kids were little we traveled all over in our conversion van with them...Nashville, Orlando, Daytona Beach, Niagara Falls, the Black Hills, Myrtle Beach, Nags Head, Elvis Presley's Graceland & Twitty City, St. Louis, and much more. Oh those memories seem as clear as the day we took them. Hmmm...where did the years go?

Anyway, whether traveling by car or by ship or just plain plopping you body in one spot, grab the chance while it's there. Our kids still reminise about the many places we vacationed as a family and now they are striving to do the same with their little ones. And the wheels go round and round!

My dad was a WWII blinded war veteran. He never saw any of his children with his vision. My mom & he traveled all over the world. She was his eyes and his narrator and he was her companion and strength. I remember their excitement as they shared their stories and experiences. He couldn't see, but his memories were as vivid as if he did! When they could no longer travel due to ill health, my mom would pull out her photo albums and smile as she & my dad talked about the different places they had been and what they had done. Memories are priceless!

I hope the "young bucks" reading this thread stop their busy lives long enough to value their life and take time to enjoy it while they can. Work makes it possible to afford vacations, but today too many executives and 2 income families get caught up with earning the bucks and not taking the time to see the world and enjoy God's creations.

--Jean & Bob

Jean & Bob, What a fantastic life you've had! Go for it!!! My mom passed away 2 weeks ago. Tomorrow is her birthday. She loved to travel, but, as farmers, there were not a lot of opportunities, but after they retired, mom and dad did as much as they could. Mom had RA and other health issues, but when she passed away, she was on a fishing trip with my dad in Alabama. My family was on a cruise and had just sailed away from Curacao. My vote is you are doing exactly the right thing!!

As for butlers, we have had a sky suite a few times. We always have our breakfast served in our room since we are not really morning people. In a suite, you have a complete cooked breakfast selection. We also had afternoon tea brought to the room. Maybe hot chocolate since you are in Alaska? They also provide priority tender tickets, board games, etc. That's about all we did, but I will share this. DH and I went on a repo cruise without the kids in 3/04 on Galaxy in a Sky Suite on deck 10. In 5/04 we went on a Med cruise on Galaxy also in a Sky Suite, but on deck 12. We had the same butler for both cruises and he remembered things like tea time, etc. In 7/05, we were on Infinity in Alaska (no Suite this time) and we saw the SAME butler on the ship. He saw us and waved madly, but we were on an elevator and didn't see him again. We were amazed that with all the folks they come across in a contract that he recognized us.

Becky

This has become my favorite thread..it's such a joy to read so many upbeat messages from folks like us, who worked hard for many years and now are enjoying the benefits of all of that hard work. Never had a suite - feel good when we splurge on an OV but we can dream and enjoy any cabin that keeps us cruising. Last year we really splurged and did the Xpedition to the Galapagos as well as a Med. cruise on the Millie. We figured when the money runs out (and, obviously, we're trying hard to make that happen) we'll stop travelling and revel in our memories. We just had our 45th anniversary and our family is cruising to Alaska on the Mercury in July to celebrate - their first 7 day cruise (did a 3 day on Disney 5 years ago with them). We're so excited to be able to see Alaska through the eyes of our grandchildren.

I applaud Jean and Bob and all of you for your positive attitudes (regardless of type of accommodation) and for making me smile (and tear up) while being so grateful for what we have. :)

This has become my favorite thread..it's such a joy to read so many upbeat messages from folks like us, who worked hard for many years and now are enjoying the benefits of all of that hard work. Never had a suite - feel good when we splurge on an OV but we can dream and enjoy any cabin that keeps us cruising. Last year we really splurged and did the Xpedition to the Galapagos as well as a Med. cruise on the Millie. We figured when the money runs out (and, obviously, we're trying hard to make that happen) we'll stop travelling and revel in our memories. We just had our 45th anniversary and our family is cruising to Alaska on the Mercury in July to celebrate - their first 7 day cruise (did a 3 day on Disney 5 years ago with them). We're so excited to be able to see Alaska through the eyes of our grandchildren.

I applaud Jean and Bob and all of you for your positive attitudes (regardless of type of accommodation) and for making me smile (and tear up) while being so grateful for what we have. :)

Very well said. This is the best thread I've read in a long time. Thank you for sharing.

Just a word from the other side....I am the executor of my parents (well dad and stepmom's) estate. They had a marvelous life, traveled everywhere and enjoyed themselves immensly. They drank, and smoked, and danced and laughed. The last Christmas with them, they rented a cabin for too much money and had all thier kids and grandkids join them. When I asked them why they would spend so much, my Dad replied "who knows..this could be our last Christmas together". Dad was 60, "Mom" was 58. And it was our last Christmas. Six months later, on thier way to thier new beach home in NC, they rolled thier SUV and died quite quickly leaving behind way too much.

Although they left a will & trust, rewritten six months before thier untimely exit...the stepsisters have been screaming and yelling, court battles and more...because they want more more more.....This is not an "oh poor me" post...my brothers and I were taught the value of family, we recieved more than we ever wanted or needed...the other side simply values the "stuff" and will probably never be happy.

The best thing that "Mom" and Dad left us were the memories and the example of how to enjoy life and our partners. The worst thing that happened was that they left too much behind. No one has earned your money but you. Enjoy it, spend it....leave behind your footprints and photographs. They are priceless.

By the way, seniors can fly anywhere on Southwest for no more than $129 each way. Enjoy yourselves!

PS...Do butlers give foot massages? Just a thought. ;)

You're not wasting money at all, you're investing it in a lifetime of memories which cannot be bought at any price! We "children" can always make money, after all, we have a lifetime of income potential. That's what I tell my parents...I want them to enjoy life while they have their health and are still mobile. The smile on their face, the pictures I have, and their pleasant memories reminiscing about their trips are my best inheritance, the only happiness money can buy in my book. In fact, we're off on a Baltic cruise this summer. :)

People who say "must be nice to be rich" don't understand that I work to the bones to earn the money and the time off that I need to take my parents on their trips. Nor will they know or understand, and I'm not willing to waste my breathe explaining myself. Now, no one, except family, knows what I do for vacation, and that's the way I like it.

I would love to experience the Galapagos. When my dad passed away last year, I researched taking that cruise on Celebrity. The thought of getting really close to the penquins & other wildlife, knowing they aren't afraid of humans is exciting. However, since Bob & I are both a bit chubby and out of shape, plus the fact that he must take medication that effects his reaction time and "might" cause some wicked side effects, I sadly realized that we probably "missed the boat" (oops...sorry for the pun) and waited too late in our lives to experience that adventure.

Our favorite cruise was in 1997 when we sailed around Hawaii and then crossed the ocean to Tahiti. We stopped at Christmas Island (right on the Equator) and saw birds that had no fear of people. It was so hot we held umbrellas over our heads. Once reaching the Tahitian Islands, we stopped at several ports. Our travel agent had also been able to secure the special option of spending an extra week in Moorea, Tahiti in one of those huts by the water for almost no money more than if we had just cruised and flew home thru the cruise line package. So, when done cruising, we plopped our chubby butts on our Tahitian hut porch, walked the beaches, and marvelled at the beauty of that magical place. Wow! A total of 3 weeks of paradise. I had always dreamed of seeing Tahiti and we experienced it to the fullest. Ah...those memories are still very vivid!

FYI! Bob & I had a great time celebrating his 56 birthday yesterday. My brother & wife took us out for a great dinner, and we returned to spend time with our kids and cuddle with the grandkids. Ya know...life sure is a cycle. When our first grandchild was born, I cringed at the thought of her calling me grandma (I had just turned 40 when she was born). Now, I accept that title with great pride and happiness. Grandma doesn't mean I'm old...it just means that the love that brought Bob & together has blossomed beyond our children and I'm darn proud of that title now!!

BTW...what's a great souvenir from Alaska that a 13 year old girl would appreciate? She asked me last night if I was going to surprise her with something? Any special things to look for?

Thanks!

--Jean & Bob

I was saddened to read about the untimely death of your parents. Whether it's illness or accident or just plain old age that takes each of us, it's important to value the time we have. I often tease my kids and say, "I hope if the plane goes down, it's on our way home from vacation". They cringe and my oldest daughter (who is the executor of our estate) says to "knock it off. Nothing's gonna happen". Ya know what? Some day it is gonna happen. If Bob & I were to die today, we have had a wonderful life, filled with blessings, love, and forever memories on this earth. Bob & I know where our eternal vacation will be. There are no bulletin boards to share experiences on that. We have to die to get there. I'm happy here, but look forward to my last vacation...when God calls me home!

Thanks for all your comments. It affirms my belief that vacations build memories that are priceless...not only to Bob & I but for our loved ones that can always smile remembering how happy we were sharing adventures together.

Hopefully, Bob & I will still have assets to share with our kids once we're gone. Now that both my parents are gone, my most valued asset from them is their photo albums. It's a moving legacy of special moments in their lives.

Hmmm...breakfast in bed, served by our butler...sounds pretty special...don't think I have the guts to do that. Wonder if we could convince him into a 3 handed game of cards one afternoon? That would be a hoot! Wonder how many butler's can play a competitive game of rummy,sheep's head, or cribbage? Ha! Now THAT would be a Kodac moment!!

--Jean & Bob

Wow what wonderful posts and thoughts. Suzanne I loved your post. My DH and I have been married 29 years as of yesterday. He had a heart attack and almost died in Sept of 2004. That was when we decided that whether or not we could afford it we were going to. We cruised to Alaska last August on Mercury and will be on her again for the same itinerary in June. This time my Mom and several other family members will join us. My mom is 71. According to Drs she shouldn't be here. I look at her so full of life and I compare her with my MIL who is younger, has never had a serious health problem and yet seems to just be waiting to die. It makes me admire my mom even more. So here is to life!!!:D Live it to the fullest!!

My Uncle and Godfather has just been diagnosed as terminal. Options for treatment are very limited, so Bob & I don't know if he will pass away before we leave for Alaska or if he will still be alive when we return. So, we've been visiting more often the last couple of weeks and savoring what time there is. Enjoy your cruise with your hubby, mom, and other family members in June. I bet it will be an extra special vacation for you all.

--Jean

Archived