Grand Cayman or Cozumel?

kala4

Is the snorkeling better in Grand Cayman or Cozumel? We want to do Tulem in Cozumel but our TA said that we would miss the great snorkeling in Cozumel. Is it that much better than in GC? Is Tulem worth the time it takes? There is also an Ultimate Stingray Snuba excursion offered by RCI but the TA can't figure out where they go because he said the stingray area is too shallow to snuba. Has anyone done this snuba trip? Sorry for all the questions but this is our first cruise. We are going for my 40th birthday and our 15th anniversary in April 2007. I can't wait! Thanks.

The Snorling is good in both places, you will see different thinks in Cozumel than you would see in Cayman. I went on a stingray/snorkle in Cayman and they took us to 2 different areas to do each thing.

If i had to choose for myself, i think i would personally pick Cayman from snorkeling because there is so much land based things to see in Cozumel.

Thanks for the replies! Fireboat do you know if stingray city has coral, tropical fish, etc. or is it just stingrays? We know that if we snorkel in Cozumel we can see these things so we are trying to decide what to do in GC and Cozumel. We also don't know if we should snorkel or snuba? Any advice? Thanks.

Is the snorkeling better in Grand Cayman or Cozumel?
I would say that GCM has the slightly better snorkeling at the present, especially in the shallow, near shore sites.
We want to do Tulem in Cozumel but our TA said that we would miss the great snorkeling in Cozumel. Is it that much better than in GC?
When was the last time your TA was in both Cozumel and GCM? That will certainly make a big difference. Pre-wilma I would have said Cozumel had the slight advantage, but not now. In other words, I think your TA's opinion is out of date.

Is Tulum worth the time it takes?
That would depend on the individual, but it is an all day trip. I don't think they let you climb the ruins, so if you were counting on going to the top, you will probably be disappointed.

There is also an Ultimate Stingray Snuba excursion offered by RCI but the TA can't figure out where they go because he said the stingray area is too shallow to snuba. Has anyone done this snuba trip?
There are 2 areas tours go to interact with the stingrays. The term Stingray city is incorrectly used interchangeably for the 2 different sites. The place where most of the "snorkel" tours go is the sandbar so people can stand in chest deep water. People don't actually snorkel there. The "real" stingray city is about 12-15 feet deep and it is where the dive tours go. If you are doing a snuba trip (which is way better than snorkeling IMO) then you will be going to this site.

All of the stingray trips have a sandy bottom, no coral. It is mostly for the stingrays. There will also be some fish too.

I have to say that one of my biggest regrets from our cruise is that we did not snorkel in Cozumel. The snorkeling was ok in Grand Cayman but the thing to do there is the Stingrays. If I had to do it over again, I would definitely snorkel in Cozumel. The water is so awesome and clear!!!! I did not snorkel so you better also get some information from someone who actually did snorkel. Cozumel was hit pretty hard from the hurricane and I can't wait to go back. It is a beautiful area. We went to Paradise Beach. Nice people, nice beach. Snorkeling from the beach. I know, we should have snorkeled then. Big mistake!!!

Is the snorkeling better in Grand Cayman or Cozumel? We want to do Tulem in Cozumel but our TA said that we would miss the great snorkeling in Cozumel. Is it that much better than in GC? Is Tulem worth the time it takes? There is also an Ultimate Stingray Snuba excursion offered by RCI but the TA can't figure out where they go because he said the stingray area is too shallow to snuba. Has anyone done this snuba trip? Sorry for all the questions but this is our first cruise. We are going for my 40th birthday and our 15th anniversary in April 2007. I can't wait! Thanks.

Having lived in both places, having snorkeled extensively, make no mistake. Cozumel has FAR FAR SUPERIOR snorkeling. There is simply NO comparison. The main reason is that GC is an underwater mountain and drops to a depth of several miles, very quickly. Cozumel, on the western side, is very shallow a long way out. Also, you can see the mainland from the island. The cannel offers a much more stable and protected environment for fish, coral and animal life.

GC is excellent for diving.

I also lived in Tulum, and as a Mayaphile, I must say that everyone should see it once in their life. However, as an expert in Mayan culture, I might suggest that Coba is more spectacular.

If you prefer to stay on the island, check out San Gervasio and then go snorkeling. That way you can play with the sting rays in GC, see ruins and snorkel in Cozumel, and you will really have done it all.

Archived