scuba/snorkel in cozumel + paradise beach

3boys4me

Just returned from Cozumel with my family of 5. We have two boys who wanted to scuba, one scube certified, one not. The rest of us wanted to snorkel. It was difficult finding one excursion to accomodate our whole family, but we did - http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/.

I booked with Island Marketing http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/ who hooked us up with Cheto at B&B Divers. We took a cab from port into town and met Cheto at his shop. There, he gave my middle son a short course in scuba. From his shop, we went to the marina to get on a boat. Cheto took us out to a reef just offshore where he took two of my boys out scuba diving, while the rest of us snorkeled above and watched them (and the fish around us).

It was just the five of us, plus Cheto and his captain (and Cheto's little 4 year old daughter) on the boat and it was great. It was nice that they were able to accomodate us all with a beginner scuba, certified scuba, and snorkeling all together on one boat ;-)

After scuba and snorkeling, we took a cab from the marina to Paradise Beach. Paradise Beach was nice, but it was crowded and too resortish for our taste. The beach chairs are free and they have food and bar service. They had booths where you could get henna tattoos and hairbraiding. They also had kayaks, water trampolines and water "icebergs", but you had to pay $8 for a wristband to use these item - which we did for the kids. The beach itself was nice, but it was rocky and hard to walk in the water - not the kind of beach I'm used to.

If I were to go back, I'd probably look around for a less crowded/commercial beach.

• 1 month later...

3boysforme,

My husband and I were thinking about following the same itinerary as you on our August trip. Do you remember how long your scuba/snorkeling excursion was? I am wondering how much time we will have at Paradise Beach afterwards. Thanks for the information you already posted!

3boys4me,

If you don't mind me asking, how deep did your dive operator take your son that was not certified?

I've seen some DO's that are good with resort divers and some who are not, I'm just curious.

Thanks, :D

Archived