Tulem

kala4

Is the Tulem tour worth the trip? Our TA says that it is not worth it. I would love to see the ruins, but I picture a long, hot bus ride and hike to get there. Any advice? Thanks.

We were in Tulum; on the Valor, the week before Katrina hit Miami.

I broke from the tour so I could photograph as much as possible without too much of a crowd. Afterwards, I went down to the beach and swam for awhile. Later, I went back to the shopping area and met up with my family, had a couple of Coronas and chips and salsa and did a little shopping. All in all, we had a very nice time. We bought with recommendations from our tour guides, a Mayan Calendar with hieroglyphics that translate to our wedding anniversary. Nice souvenir!

All in all, a nice time.

There are always more spectacular ruins as far as size and scope, but these are spectacular from the standpoint of being the only ones over the caribbean.

Photocruiser

Hi kala

Tulum is only about an hour south of Playa Del Carmen (the port opposite Cozumel on the mainland), so a day trip is do-able and there won't be that much walking - but it may not be that relaxed as you'll also arrive at the hottest time of day along with all the other tours.

More info is available here: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/mainlandruins

You may want to consider San Gervasio ruins in Cozumel - not quite as spectacular, but an easier trip and very interesting nonetheless. Info here: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/cozumelruins

Hope that helps!

Ian

The trip to San Gervasio sounds interesting. Do you know how long the tour takes? We would like to see the ruins and then go to chankanaab for snorkeling. Will we have time for both? Thanks for all your help.

Archived