Is Cave Tubing a little scary?

jmrfamily

Now, for my question....how bad is this tour for a city girl that only swims with other humans? ;) Are there a lot of fish/other things swimming in the water? Do the tubes have bottoms or are they the donut kind? Should I stay on the ship at the pool and have a peaceful day by myself that day so that everyone else can enjoy this outing without putting up with my whining and freaking out all day?

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I have to say I'm not as sure as the others that you will enjoy this. I guess it depends on the tour operator. We went on the excursion through the ship and I'm glad I did it, I enjoyed it personally, but I love to swim in the ocean and take nature walks (as well as go through caves whenever I get a chance). At least on our excursion, we had approx. a 30 minute nature walk to get to the starting point (very similar to a walk through native Florida), and then to get into the tube you had to turn around and lower yourself on a rope down into your tube. Just before we got in the tubes, we were told by one of the guides (only because he was responding to someone's direct question) about the snakes that they clear out of the waters every day. I will say, we never saw one either so apparently they do a good job of clearing them out. The tubes that we had were the standard donut kind, and you WERE DEFINITELY in the water! There were a few places you had to get out of your tube and walk because the water was too shallow - this probably depends on the amount of rainfall they've had. As I said, I enjoyed it but having done it, I can think of a family member and friend or two that, between having to lower yourself into the tube backwards and the snakes, I definetly would NOT recommend it to.

We were there in March and went cave tubing with Yhonny, I am a chicken and do not like cold water, I had a great time and the water wasn't all that bad, the initial getting in was cold. Your daughter will have a great time, enjoy the cashew wine, if you go with Yhonny.

We're doing the cave tubing next week, and I have a potentially dumb question. After you walk through the rain forest to the river, what do you do with the stuff you want to keep dry? Like your shoes, maybe the shorts you had on over your swimsuit, etc? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived