Princess or HAL for Scandanavia/Russia

zaban3

I have sailed Princess twice -- Sapphire to Alaska and Coral to Pananma Canal and loved both My mom (age 81) and I (age 51) have decided to go this summer to Northern Europe -- Scanadanavia/Russia. Many cruises are already sold out. We are choosing between a balcony on the Star (July 4) or oceanview on the Amsterdam (Aug. 1). August is a better time. Any "wisdom" or advise on which one to choose --Please help.

I can only tell you that I did the Scandinavia/Russia cruise on the Royal about 7 years ago, and loved it! We had a balcony, and, while I love balconies, we didn't spend a lot of time there, as it was rather chilly. it was neat, however, sailing through Scandinavia and seeing the sights from our balcony.

I will muddy the waters. The problem with either ship is the size in St. Petersburg. St. Petersburg , to me, is the highlight, and all the larger ships have to dock away from the city. The smaller lines like seaborn and silver seas, and the regent navigator, can dock in the city. It makes a huge difference. As to balcony or not, I have been there twice in July and the temperature has been in the 80's during the whole cruise, so I am sold on balconies. Good luck and have fun.

Some 18 or so cruises on Princess, and 3 on HAL; but for the Baltic I recommend Oceania.

Small ship, 860 PAQX (sister ship to Pacific Princess & Tahitian Princess), and able to transit the Kiel Canal, a beautiful part of Germany.

Being a small ship, it can get right into St. Petersburg, and most other ports, rather than docking at some container port miles for nowhere.

They have some very aggressive pricing (2 for one cruise & free air).

We took their Regatta into the Baltic last August, and had a wonder time, and enjoyed the best food we have ever had on a cruise (surpassing Celebrity, HAL, or Crystal).

Archived