HELP sailing with a 2 yo on the GLORY

StaySea

Hello out there,

I am new to the boards and am sure this has been talked about somewhere but really can't find it. My husband & I are sailing on the carnival Glory on 5/6/6 & can't wait!!! We have been on 3 cruises before but this is the first with our 2 year old son. I am wondering about cribs in th room, do I need to ask or will there put one there??? I have seen lots of comments about camp carnival anyone put a 2 yo in? How was it ??? Alos any suggestions about dining? And lastly I know if they are not pott trained they can't use the pools, how did other parents handle this?? Can I reaaly bring a Blow up pool with me??? Any input would be GREAT!!!!

:) :) :) :) :)

18days till the GLORY

Hi! Our first cruise was on the Glory with our 25 month old. Awesome experience!

As to cribs, I don't know. She was sleeping in a bed at that point. We put her on the convertable couch, with the pillows that make the back of the couch on the floor in case she fell out (she didn't!), and it worked well.

She LOVED the camp. I would definitely suggest attending the orientation the first night, and the party in the disco. It will give your son a chance to meet the counselors and some of the other kids. That way, there will be familiar faces...Also, they have an hour the first morning where you can spend the time with your son in the camp. After that, you must leave him. We've never taken advantage of that option, as I know DD, and she's better on her own. If I were there with her once, I risk the chance she'd want me there always.

The camp will give you a beeper. That way you can relax and know that if you're not hearing from them, all is well. In four cruises, I got beeped twice: once, she was asking for me, and I picked her up at 9:30 pm instead of 10. The second time, they just wanted to let me know they were getting low on diapers.

I put a change of clothes, small package of wipes, and about 6 diapers/pull-ups in a large zip-lock bag marked with DD's name, age and cabin number. I hand it to the counselors the first morning, and they give it back at pick-up the last night.

As to dinner, we've always had early, even though we actually eat later at home. But, with the busy days, and the fact that dinner does take a while, this works well for us. If your son is not happy in a high chair for over an hour, you might want to try to get a booth. We've had one on each cruise (I always check upon boarding), and we've always been assigned one. It lets the little ones have some freedom of motion without being in the path of the waitstaff or other diners. And, on a couple of occasions, DD has laid down and gone to sleep right on the banquette.

As to the pool, we've just always told her they were "closed" to little ones. It's never been an issue. We try to do some water related things in the ports, and she is so busy with camp, she doesn't miss it. To be honest, I discourage DS (now 7) from spending much time in the pool, as I'm not all that comfortable with the fact that it's just sea water.

Any other questions, I'd be happy to put my two cents worth in....enjoy your cruise!

Im glad this was posted. We are going on the Carnival Valor this Aug. My youngest will be 2, and she is not potty trained, and dont expect her to be by then;) . Im wondering how she will do in Camp Carnival. I have 2 older kids, but they will be 12 and 7 at this time. My 2 yr old has never been left in this type of situation, so I dont know how it will be. I guess we will just play it by ear.

I&MSmoms- that is great info! thank you- we are cruising on the valor in June with our 2 year old. I do have a question for the first day, when is the camp carnival orientation normally held? and can you leave your child on the embarkation day/night or does it all start the first day cruising?

The camp is closed on embarkation day. (On our last cruise, I had to actually take DD to the camp to prove to her that all of her "teachers" were away, as she was torturing me about wanting to go to camp to see them! LOL)

The orientation is generally held around 7:30 or so, followed more or less immediately by the party in the disco. The whole thing wraps up around 9. If they are still going strong (ours are usually ready to call it a day!), there is a make-your-own sundae party after the disco party.

All of the activities the first evening require the presence of a parent (until 10 pm).

Group babysitting starts the first night at 10. There is a fee for the group babysitting. We've never used it, but in speaking with others on board who have, they said the counselors allow you into the camp to (literally!) pick up your sleeping child.

If you can't make the orientation meeting (if you have late dinner, etc.) there is a late registration at the camp later in the evening.

I had a copy of the capers for the 2-5 year old group. I'd be happy to e-mail them to anyone who's interested.

:) :) :) :) :)

Thanx so much for the info!!! I can't tell how helpful this was..I ccan't wait to get my guy there....He'll love it & it sounds like we'll get some alone time!!!! I would love a copy of the capers let me know how to get it from you...

My son will be 23 months when we sail. Do you think he would be allowed in the camp or would it maybe not be appropriate for him. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I wasn't sure what kind of activities they had for that age.

StayatSea: If it is OK to ask for you for your e-mail address, I will send the capers to you.

Earpiemom: I'm really sorry to say that in our experience, Carnival is VERY strict about the child being two. They measure age as of the date of embarkation, and they confirm it with the passport or birth certificate. We have seen some seriously upset parents of "almost" two children, but the counselors were adamant. They do have some times when parents can take the under two crowd and use the camp facilities (parents must remain with the children), but it is relatively limited, and only available at times when the official camp is closed.

HTH!

I&Ms

I have no problem posted my email!!! & would love the copy my email is

Stace22@aol.com. Thanx so much you have been so helpful & have decreased my anxiety about sailing with a 2yo!!! He keeps telling everyone who will listen he's goin on a BIG boat & going to see fishes & butterflies (our excursion in KW)!!!! Thanx again!!! O by the way how did you avoid "over packing" for your lil ones???? I am a habitual overpacker but am trying to keep it in tact since there are now 3 of us!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I had a copy of the capers for the 2-5 year old group. I'd be happy to e-mail them to anyone who's interested.

Would you be able to email this to me also? jody_church12@hotmail.com We just found out we have friends getting married on this ship in 2008 and our DD will be 2 yrs then. We already can't wait!! Thanks!

The camp is closed on embarkation day. (On our last cruise, I had to actually take DD to the camp to prove to her that all of her "teachers" were away, as she was torturing me about wanting to go to camp to see them! LOL)

The orientation is generally held around 7:30 or so, followed more or less immediately by the party in the disco. The whole thing wraps up around 9. If they are still going strong (ours are usually ready to call it a day!), there is a make-your-own sundae party after the disco party.

All of the activities the first evening require the presence of a parent (until 10 pm).

Group babysitting starts the first night at 10. There is a fee for the group babysitting. We've never used it, but in speaking with others on board who have, they said the counselors allow you into the camp to (literally!) pick up your sleeping child.

If you can't make the orientation meeting (if you have late dinner, etc.) there is a late registration at the camp later in the evening.

I would also like a copy of the capers. My email is lauralky@charter.net. Thanks a lot.

Archived